Passenger Comfort.....

Old July 27th 05, 05:21 PM
pbc76049

Hey guys.... You are all missing something.
Cockpit conditions are usually a little warm and
uncomfortable with less than the best ventilation.
Cooling off the passenger does wonders. Carry
a frozen towel in one of those thermal bags you keep
food cold in. If they start to feel/sound/seem
like they are having a tough time of it, give them the
towell to cool off with. Lowering the temp of somebodys head
will bring them back to life. The head radiates a LOT of heat
and cooling them off does wonders. Works for me...

Scott.

Old July 27th 05, 08:18 PM
bumper

I keep cool using a Misty Mate portable mister. I use distilled water, so
there's no concern about water getting on the canopy etc. I've also modified
it a bit by adding a flexible tube and clunk weight instead of the normal
stiff plastic pick-up tube inside. In any case, these things are available
at Costco, Wal-Mart etc. They have a built in pump to pressurize them with
air. The nozzle clips to parachute harness etc. Works especially well in
hot, dry climates.

bumper

Old August 1st 05, 01:22 AM
Roger Worden

At our club you are not allowed to fly from the back seat unless you are
an instructor.

I would ask your club leadership to review this rule and the reasons for it.
Learning to fly from the rear seat should be part of learning to be a pilot.
With just a little instruction I see no reason why you should not fly from
the rear seat, I did well before gettign my PPG.

The visibility is a bit different, but not hard to deal with. In some ships
it also lets you see both sets of instruments, so it could be considered
MORE safe than flying from the front. And the feel of the ship may be
different (better) from the rear seat because you are closer to the CG: the
pilot rotates around the CG rather than swinging up and down out in the
nose. In some ways it may feel like you can fly more smoothly.

Old August 1st 05, 02:27 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Roger Worden" wrote:

At our club you are not allowed to fly from the back seat unless you are

an instructor.

I would ask your club leadership to review this rule and the reasons for it.
Learning to fly from the rear seat should be part of learning to be a pilot.
With just a little instruction I see no reason why you should not fly from
the rear seat, I did well before gettign my PPG.

Oh, I've flown from the rear seat a number of times when pair flying
with other pilots, in several different types (Twin Astir, Janus,
Blanik, DG1000). It's not a problem at all. In fact just for fun I did
my last BFR from the back seat of the Grob and the (visiting, UK "A" cat
since 1964) instructor was about to sign me off when another member
pointed out that club rules (that neither of us knew about) prevented it.

It's a great pity as I really would like to be able to see what my
passengers are doing and they'd probably enjoy it more too.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old August 1st 05, 11:39 AM
Geoff Vincent

Roger,

At the club where I did my initial training it was madatory for a
"close to solo" student to gain experience in back-seat flying before
being awarded his solo wings. It seemed very clear to me that being
in the back seat was very similar in positioning, with respect to CG
and outlook, to the single seater I would be transitioning into in due
course.

Geoff Vincent
Grampians Soaring Club
Australia

Old August 1st 05, 06:51 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

One tip:

Carry a spare sunhat, if there is hot sun do not let the pupil fly
bare-headed.

If this does not work and the pupil is sick, if there is no sickbag tell
them to use the hat. Better than cleaning out the cockpit.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm a relatively new commercial pilot and have had several passengers
with NPE...near puke events! Some have been uncomfortable from the
moment we start the tow, others at altitude and others while
thermaling. I keep the chatter going, recommend steady breathing and
to look at the horizon. I make sure the air vent is open as well.

Can anyone offer some tips to keep the passengers from losing it? I
want each one to have a great ride and first gliding experience. I
keep the manoeuvres gentle and frequently ask how they are doing.

It seems the ones who say they will be fine, and laugh at me when I
point out the airsick bag, have been the one's to get queasy.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

Old August 2nd 05, 01:27 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:39:31 +1000, Geoff Vincent
wrote:

At the club where I did my initial training it was madatory for a
"close to solo" student to gain experience in back-seat flying before
being awarded his solo wings. It seemed very clear to me that being
in the back seat was very similar in positioning, with respect to CG
and outlook, to the single seater I would be transitioning into in due
course.

Curious coe of practice.

What kind of single seater was this that had a head right in front of
you, blocking your view during aerotow and landing? vbg

Usually I spend 90 percent of my gliderme on the backseat, but in my
opinion the feeling there is not even similar to the feeling in a
single seater.

Bye
Andreas
Old August 2nd 05, 06:05 PM
For Example John Smith

Andreas said:
Usually I spend 90 percent of my gliderme on the backseat, but in my
opinion the feeling there is not even similar to the feeling in a
single seater.

Maybe the point is just that getting a different view and a different feel
and adjusting to it is useful in making the transition to a single place