If user fees go into effect I'm done

Old February 11th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Dylan Smith

Default If user fees go into effect I'm done

On 2007-02-10, Matt Whiting wrote:
Man you are clueless.

Touched a nerve there. Sounds like you're in denial.

Old February 11th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Jose

I agree with you - the system should use touch-tone dialing for selection.

That's the least of it. I find the robots way too chatty.

"Thank you for calling the New England Flight Service Station, one of
twelve FAA superstations covering the country. We hope you are having a
good day, and are eagerly waiting to help you file your flight plan,
plan your flight, get weather briefings, and find out about TFRs and
other flight restrictions. Lets get going! To begin with, I'll have to
ask you a few questions. Are you calling from your home phone number as
registered with the FAA? You can say yes, no, or I don't know. Or, you
can use the touch tone keypad. For yes, press nine, or "y". For no,
press six, or "n". If you don't know whether this number is registesred
with the FAA as your primary phone number, press 4, or "i".

(tweep)

Thank you for your response. You have indicated that this is your home
phone. Remember, to go back, at any time, you can say "go back", or you
can press the two key, or "b". (wakawakawaka) I've located your
record. I see you usually fly a cessna cardinal, November three four
seven Lima Charlie. Is this the aircraft you will be using today? You
can You can say yes, or no. Or, you can use the touch tone keypad. For
yes, press nine, or "y". For no, press six, or "n".

(tweep)

Thank you for your response. I'm so happy to help you. Now, would you
like a weather briefing? If so, press the nine key (or "w"). IF you
would just like to hear about TFRs, press the eight key, or "t". If
you would.......

(click)

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old February 11th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Don Tuite

Have I missed the wisecracks about outsourcing briefings to Bangalore?

Don
Old February 11th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:
"Blueskies" wrote

So, you are saying let Flight Watch die, which for now is a free service,
and replace it with a privatized service for a fee. Yes, that is the
problem...

Flight Watch is not a free service, there are no free services. You
consider Flight Watch to be a "free service" only because you don't pay for
it directly, it's paid with taxes. I would much rather let Flight Watch die
and replace it with private sector service providers that charge fees and
compete for my patronage than pay a direct user fee to the FAA for each use
of Flight Watch.

Just how much competition do you expect there would be to
provide Flight Watch service? Would there be even be one
company willing to provide it?

The incremental cost to the government to provide Flight
Watch is minimal -- the facilities and personnel are
already in place. The cost to replicate the facilities
and staff the operation for a private company would be
quite high as would be the fees necessary for the provider
to make a profit.
Old February 11th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Chris

"Everett M. Greene" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:
[...]

What is the size of the contract the FAA has with Lockheed? I thought the
Flight Watch service had already been let out for a profit. I cannot
imagine Lockheed doing the job to breakeven.

Old February 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Jose wrote in
news
That's the least of it. I find the robots way too chatty.

What, you never get a chatty briefer?
Old February 11th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Jon Woellhaf

"Jose" wrote in message
news
[hilarious automated FSS transcript deleted]

Jose,

I can't tell if that's an actual transcript or if you just made it up. It
seems much too realistic to be fictional.

Still laughing!

Jon

Old February 12th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Jose

I find the robots way too chatty.
What, you never get a chatty briefer?

Thems I can silence. Robots are far more potent.

Jose
Old February 12th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:17:30 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote in :

Larry Dighera writes:

Why did your populous accept the imposition of a privatized ATC
system? What did you do to resist it?

[snip]

There is some resistance against privatisation in
matters that are important to the general public, but aviation is not a
prime interest of 95% of the population.

Did you personally contact the international arm of the Aircraft
Owners and Pilots Association regarding ATC privatization? Did you
submit a protest letter to the appropriate authorities requesting them
to not privatize European ATC? Did you organize any of your fellow
airman to protest also? What exactly did YOU do to fight European ATC
privatization?

Old February 12th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Roy Smith

In article ,
Jose wrote:

[...]

Sounds reasonable, except it should be "For yes, press niner".

If user fees go into effect I'm done [email protected] Piloting 286 February 20th 07 02:02 AM
Trouble ahead over small plane fees AJ Piloting 90 April 15th 06 01:19 PM
What will user fees do to small towered airports Steve Foley Piloting 10 March 8th 06 03:13 PM
GA User fees Jose Piloting 48 December 24th 05 02:12 AM
The Irony of Boeing/Jeppesen Being Charged User Fees! Larry Dighera Piloting 9 January 23rd 04 12:23 PM