iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

Old March 27th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

I flew for 2 seasons with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and it was fully sunshine readable even with Polarized sunglasses on. It was much brighter than any Apple product I held it up to in daylight.
I would recommend the Note 4 for screen visibility, the screen color & responsiveness were great - even complex terrain but also because you can use USB on the Go (OTG)to transfer flight recordings and data via USB thumb drives or just email the trace directly to the scorer/upload to OLC.
I used the Bluetooth with a K6 bluetooth unit and a cambridge 302 then later directly to an LXNav S100 vario with built in bluetooth. The WiFi works good too.

I know you can get cheap old tech Dells, but why not have 32gig of memory, a very fast video graphics display and fast processor - won't go obsolete as quick as a Dell Streak. The note 4 could do everything you want from XCsoar and other programs, and even use the built in pressure sensor and gyros if you prefer as a backup.

Chris
Old March 28th 17, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 2:21:25 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
On Monday, 27 March 2017 12:01:14 UTC+3, wrote:
The kobi e readers (at least some of them) are compatible with xc soar. Shouldn't e readers be a smart way to go with the lower battery use and very little disadvantage with black and white? Has anyone tried any other eReaders with xc soar? I imagine most E readers really are not built to operate in direct sunlight, same as phones/tablets but there could be some exceptions.

The dell streak 5" is around 300 dollars now.

Yes and no, sunlight readability is best around, but they have problem with slow screen update, watching animated map can be pain sometimes. I tried Koko Glo HD and returned it immediately, the XCSoar did not support it (then) properly, while comments on XCSoar forum lead me to believe that was the case. Lesson learned.

Specs for good gliding computer dislay are he

- Colour display
- Over 1000 nits brightness (readability has everything to do with this, not contrast)
- Matte screen surface, unless you need a mirror in cockpit
- Touch screen

Good luck finding something that has these all.

I have been running the Kobo Glo with TopHat ( XCSoar hybrid) without any of the issues described above. I have it connected to a ClearNav digital XC vario.