Noise Canceling headset

Old February 6th 19, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Noise Canceling headset

Andrzej, the QT Halo doesn't seem to be have been available from the manufacturer for some time. What about the similar Clarity Aloft or Faro Air passive earbuds headsets - does anyone have experience of using one of those in a SLS?
Old February 6th 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

I use the cep system (www.cep-usa.com)
I've used them for years in my power aircraft under a DC Headset and really like them in my motorglider (ASH 31Mi) with boom mic.
I have used both the standard foam ear plugs as well as a pair of custom molded ear inserts. The standard foam plugs work great.
I highly recommend this system.

Dan
7DR
Old February 6th 19, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 5:11:51 PM UTC+2, wrote:
What is the best value noise canceling headset for a motor glider.

Since the back seat persons head in only inches from the motor - I want to protect their hearing.

WH

I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Iso.../dp/B00AEY4QP2

I plug them to speaker junction box so that I can hear radio trough them, I still use standard boom mic. No active noise technology, just very good passive noise isolation. They are cheap and effective, and most important, you can keep them in shirt pocket all the time.
Old February 6th 19, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:11:51 AM UTC-8, wrote:
What is the best value noise canceling headset for a motor glider.

Since the back seat persons head in only inches from the motor - I want to protect their hearing.

WH

I'd suggest trying the Bose QC20. You can try them for 30 days and bring them back to Bose for a full refund. I've tried several other in-ear solutions, including the very high end Etymotic version. The very good ones do give good noise isolation, but they are fiddly to install in the ear and for me uncomfortable after several hours. The ones with very high quality foam or a custom molded insert work much better than the cheaper versions. The Bose have been independently tested by several labs, and have noise cancellation rivaling or in many cases exceeding over-the-ear versions, and in most cases exceeding in-ear noise isolation plugs. It is frequency dependent (better at lower frequencies, near 40 db) but that is the noise from an engine. They are not really an in-ear device, rather there is a silicone seal that seals the ear channel without protruding inside, which for me makes them comfortable to use for many hours, and very easy to put on or take off (no squishing or rolling of foam). There is no microphone, I use a Plantronics MS50T30 lip mike which others tell me works very well, engine on or off.
Old February 6th 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 4:22:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Andrzej, the QT Halo doesn't seem to be have been available from the manufacturer for some time. What about the similar Clarity Aloft or Faro Air passive earbuds headsets - does anyone have experience of using one of those in a SLS?

I fly with Clarity Aloft. It is comfortable, but I do remove the earbuds after shutdown, But keep the mic on (keep the headset on just pull out the ear buds). On return taxi, I don't always put them back in as the 31 is not too loud at taxi throttle. you can change the tips of the earbuds to lots of different materials if you want/need to.

Rick
Old February 7th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:11:51 AM UTC-6, wrote:
What is the best value noise canceling headset for a motor glider.

An article years ago was published in which sound pressure levels were measured in some motorgliders. As I recall, the ranges were 100-115 dB, making effective hearing protection important.

For years, I used in my Ventus Cm the best earplugs I could find (about 30 dB reduction), for my scalp is very close to the canopy, risking both the canopy and my head, and inadvertent dislodgement of the headset.

About 4 years ago, I discovered the Clarity Aloft headset with expandable earbuds, that combine the 30dB passive protection of earplugs with absent headband.
Old February 7th 19, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin S.

+1 on the Clarity Aloft. I’ve used one in my self-launcher for 8 or 9 years. Sometimes I leave one of the earbuds in (when the engine is off) if there’s something I’m particularly keen to follow on the active frequency.

- Kevin
Old February 7th 19, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 9:27:46 PM UTC-8, Kevin S. wrote:
+1 on the Clarity Aloft. I’ve used one in my self-launcher for 8 or 9 years. Sometimes I leave one of the earbuds in (when the engine is off) if there’s something I’m particularly keen to follow on the active frequency.

- Kevin

+2 on the clarity aloft. They are great as they come but I replace the foam ear-tips with 3 flange silicone tips made by Etymotic research (https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/ac.../er4-new.html). A little less futzing than compressing the foam before you insert the ear tips. Many audiology labs can also cast you custom ear inserts which can feel even better.

In-ear headphones like the Calrity Aloft provide fantastic isolation and sound quality, but some people do not like the feeling of having something inserted in their ear.

The Clarity Aloft can also hang around your neck after you use them and you may not even notice/have to futz with stowing them/fishing them out.
Old February 7th 19, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Four positive responses in succession for the Clarity Aloft - impressive!
Old February 7th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you for all the excellent Information and opinions!!

Much appreciated - my crew (wife) hearing thanks you also

Good Soaring in 2019

WH

FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Piloting 26 January 13th 07 12:06 AM
FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Instrument Flight Rules 15 January 13th 07 12:06 AM
UPDATE #3 -- Headset Noise Jonathan Goodish Owning 15 April 25th 06 05:36 AM
Headset Noise Jonathan Goodish Owning 31 April 19th 06 01:18 PM
UPDATE -- Headset Noise Jonathan Goodish Owning 7 April 18th 06 05:43 PM