NEW SSA WEBINAR - TUESDAY MARCH 5 AT 7PM CENTRAL TIME

Old March 4th 19, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Lessnick 51P

Default NEW SSA WEBINAR - TUESDAY MARCH 5 AT 7PM CENTRAL TIME

SECRETS TO GLIDER MATH: Simple Glide Calculations to Keep You Safer!

Do NOT miss this phenomenal webinar presented by CINDY BRICKNER and 3 of her friends.

Soaring at home or cross-country doesn't require any multi-hundreds-of-dollars instrumentation, nor does it need a mega-thousand-dollar
sailplane, nor a crew, nor an inordinate amount of risk. And, it doesn't have to be scary! These techniques require a sectional chart for your flight route -- max price of $15.

Learn how to do SIMPLE calculations, in your head, or on your left-hand fingers (while your right hand flies) to keep you above glide slope to safe landing alternatives. These techniques convert glider performance math into tried and true, bite-sized chunks to keep your mind free to focus on thermal centering, lift-line analysis, and speeds-to-fly rather than button pushing and navigational distress. You can do this in your club's single-seater, a borrowed JS-3, or a tired but trusty 2-33. This even works if the Cezzna runs out of gas on the way to a $100 hamburger!

After attending this webinar, you will know how to:

- QUICKLY and EASILY calculate if you are above glide
- Determine If you have enough altitude to safely move on to another landing field
- Adjust for headwinds and tailwinds

THIS AND ALL OF OUR WEBINARS ARE NOW ELIGIBLE FOR THE FAA WINGS PROGRAM! The FAA, along with the aviation industry, has realized recurrent training reduces the accident rate dramatically.

The Wings program includes both learning activities and flight tasks to be accomplished for credit towards obtaining one of the levels in the Wings program. After completing a level of the Wings program you may substitute this completion for your flight review.

It is easy to sign up for the program and is FREE! Go to www.faasafety.gov for information.

This practical "how to" webinar series takes place every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month and covers practical beginner-level to advanced material. Please share this information with all your club members.

Seats fill up fast so be sure to REGISTER TODAY - CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW!

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...588?source=RAS
Old March 6th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yet another great webinar, thanks to all that did this/hosted this.
While I may already have a grasp on the topic, good to review from time to time.
Better for those that don't know/understand.
For a 1-26, I use "3 miles/1000 ft + arrival height". Pretty close to what Cindy stated.
Good info for peeps to pass onto others on their field/CFI's to pass to students (Yes, even power to their students....).

Webinars like this can wake up greying brain cells as well as pass on new info to newbs. This is a good thing.

My only negative comment.......it's "Cessna" not "Cezzna" although some pronounce it that way. ;-)

As an aside, I think most GA SEL is more like 7:1, basically a smooth brick.
I think the space shuttle was about 4:1! But a very high flying speed.

When I see pilots in a general SEL doing a huge pattern to an uncontrolled airport ( like where I fly, Middletown, NY 06N), a 2-33 wouldn't make a good landing if the GA lost an engine......Sigh.
Remembering a story in the AOPA magazine a decade or so ago, GA SEL had multiple equipment failures, low vis., made it to pattern, too flat, crashed......
Sucked.....avoidable.......

Again, thanks to all that did this and other webinars, worth it even to me......at least a refresher, worth the time for me to go through!
Old March 6th 19, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote on 3/6/2019 12:47 PM:
When I see pilots in a general SEL doing a huge pattern to an uncontrolled airport ( like where I fly, Middletown, NY 06N), a 2-33 wouldn't make a good landing if the GA lost an engine......Sigh.

I've heard this and similar comments over the years, and I used to think I
understood it, but now I realize the SEL has likely flown of reach of an airport
for most of it's flight (which could be anywhere from 6 minutes to 6 hours), so
what's another minute or two of being out of reach?

Old March 6th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 12:47:51 PM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

My only negative comment.......it's "Cessna" not "Cezzna" although some pronounce it that way. ;-)

Of course it's a Cezzna!
Just ask Pez D. Spencer, sailplane racer.
Jim
Old March 7th 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/6/2019 4:11 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote on 3/6/2019 12:47 PM:
When I see pilots in a general SEL doing a huge pattern to an
uncontrolled airport ( like where I fly, Middletown, NY 06N), a 2-33
wouldn't make a good landing if the GA lost an engine......Sigh.

I've heard this and similar comments over the years, and I used to think I
understood it, but now I realize the SEL has likely flown of reach of an
airport for most of it's flight (which could be anywhere from 6 minutes to
6 hours), so what's another minute or two of being out of reach?

Assuming the question is non-rhetorical, and responding as one whose GA trips
have (mostly) been above the area lying between Denver and Oshkosh (i.e. the
Great Plains and points 'somewhat east'), whether PIC-ing or keeping another
seat in the plane warm, my philosophic take on the truism alluded to by
Charlie M., has long equated 'within reach of an airport' (for a
single-engine, 200 hp, GA plane) to 'the same thing it means when playing J.
Glider Pilot.'

IOW...keep a safely-landable field within reach. Of course, 'out here' that's
generally an easily-accomplished goal whether burning dinosaur juice or using
nookyular fuel. True even in the mountains (A/P-to-A/P flight, for the most
part). Just another safety-vs.-utility tradeoff that 'works for me!'

But then, I 'fly for fun' even those times when boring a hole in the sky. And,
yes, I've been in GA planes in hard IFR...and 'got away with it.' Point being,
this particular Joe Pilot is always most comfortable having a decent grasp of
any particular flight's 'actively-accepted level-of-risk.' Betting on an
engine continuing to run is - in its own way - philosophically equivalent
(somewhat) to betting on pilot judgment to handle what may come up under the
circumstances of any given flight.

YMWV...

Bob W.

P.S. Thanks to everyone helping generate/make-available SSA Webinars!!! As
with previous webinars, I hope-to catch this one after-the-fact.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old March 7th 19, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

While off topic of congratulating the people that do these webinars, my comment was not to always have an airport in reach. If that was the case, nobody would ever go anywhere, powered or not.
It was, flying a pattern such that you couldn't make the airport with a power loss to most nontowered airports.
Granted, flying at a busy airport (towered or not) and being number 4 or so may preclude being within gliding range.
When I fly power, and have the chance, I fly close enough to make the field if I lose power.

Again, just a comment, taking away from yet another good webinar.
Old March 8th 19, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 7:27:53 PM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
While off topic of congratulating the people that do these webinars, my

SNIP
Again, just a comment, taking away from yet another good webinar.

I am tickled to see folks making some commentary Following a webinar.

It is hard to create content that is pertinent for the broad range of potential attendees -- students, solo pilots, XC pilots, ASEL only pilots..... wow.
So it is especially gratifying to hear from long term soarers that they find good value in the webinar series. Thank you.

And Cezznas?
That's tongue in cheek.
Yes, that is a tribute to Pez D. Spencer's parent, formerly known as 'Zero Cinco'. Zero Cinco unfortunately shares John McCain's cancer, as well as the history of flights logged in Southeast Asia.
Since I towed with and loved my 182 for nearly 2 decades, I
spoof on it a little bit. A ribbon of humor in a serious subject.

The webinars will go on, as long as we have presenters and attendees.
Most importantly, they are an archive -- free to all to replay from
the SSA's site. Dave's vision was to Capture the knowledge so widely shared
in soaring, with the flavor and style of the teachers, and have it outlive us.

A huge vision....
and we're filling that library as quickly as we can!

Again, thank you for the appreciation. It's the only
payment we get....

Cindy B
Old March 8th 19, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Cindy for the presentation. I learned to fly XC a while back with map and compass (and a Stocker graphical glide computer). I am puzzled these days how to best introduce newcomers to navigation and glide computing. The problem with the circles-on-the-map method is that many pilots can't seem to locate themselves on the map. And GPS devices have gotten so cheap. You don't need $500 - $50 for an eReader+GPS and free software makes a swell glide computer. For those with eyes (unlike mine) that can see much on their smartphone screen in sunlight, you don't need anything beyond some free software. (Cell service not required.) And I know I stretched the envelope much closer to the edge once I got GPS. Thus the temptation to go straight to such equipment is fierce. But what if the gizmo dies in mid-flight? And how to teach people to sanity-check what they think the gizmo is saying? I don't have answers, but wonder what current instructors' methods are.
Old March 8th 19, 04:15 PM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

I just finished going through the presentation. Can anyone tell me how to get Wings credit for doing do?
Old March 8th 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

--
tienshanman

At this point, you must register for the live webinar using the same credentials as your faasafety.gov profile, then attend the live webinar.
At some point they may add credit for watching it later.
Jim