Traffic Awareness and Collision Avoidance Talks at the SSA Convention

Old February 24th 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Traffic Awareness and Collision Avoidance Talks at the SSA Convention

I know folks can't get enough of Traffic Awareness and Collision Avoidance and ADS-B information :-)

At the SSA Convention next week John Roper marketing manager from Trig is going to be talking about ADS-B and especially the Trig TN72 low-cost ADS-B/TABS GPS source that there has been a lot of discussion about on r.a.s. in the past.

I'm also giving a talk with Larry Cheek from the FAA Reno FSDO that will include an overview of collision avoidance and traffic awareness technology options.

ADS-B (OSTIV Track)
---------------------
Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:00 am - 10:45 am Convention Center Room A1
Jon Roper

Come to Trig’s ADS-B seminar to understand the regulation and practical aspects of installing ADS-B technology in your sailplane. This includes the latest and highly affordable TN72 TABS GPS technology, designed to work with Trig transponders.

Trig Avionics has a proven track record in lightweight and highly compact transponder and radio solutions. Presenter Jon Roper is the Marketing Manager at Trig, a pilot who started his flying in gliders and has worked in both military and general aviation sectors.

Review of Glider Accidents and Collision Avoidance Technology
Thursday, March 1, 2018 11:00 am - 11:45 am Convention Center Room A3
Larry Cheek and Darryl Ramm

In this two part talk we will review glider accidents and because midair collisions are a factor we will also look at traffic awareness and collision avoidance technology.

We will talk about overall glider accidents in the United States with emphasis on the fatal accidents and a recap of those in the Reno Area including mid-air collisions and near misses.

Traffic awareness and collision avoidance technology can help improve safety for glider pilots. Unfortunately different threat scenarios require different technology. We will take a high-level look at possible technology use in example risk scenarios including glider collisions with airliners and fast jets, military transport and tactical aircraft, general aviation aircraft and other gliders.

Old February 24th 18, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That sounds great. Will a video of those end up somewhere on the web for those of us that can't make the convention?
Old February 26th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 4:59:33 AM UTC-8, wrote:
That sounds great. Will a video of those end up somewhere on the web for those of us that can't make the convention?

I'm sorry but I have no idea of the talks are being video taped. I will make my slides available afterwards, It will take a while to get speaker notes added to them so they are at least semi-coherent.
Old February 26th 18, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

Curious if Trig could offer transponder firmware upgrades while at the show. That would be a nice offering for their many customers. I'd bring mine!
Old February 26th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 9:19:22 PM UTC-8, Dirk_PW wrote:
Curious if Trig could offer transponder firmware upgrades while at the show. That would be a nice offering for their many customers. I'd bring mine!

That might have been something to ask Trig weeks ago. I am not sure who if anybody besides Jon from Trig Marketing is coming, and he is already travelling.

But here is an easy approach. Pull your transponder and send it to Mid Continent Instruments now, while you are at the conference....
Old February 26th 18, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

I went ahead an sent an email to Trig about this. They actually called me today and said they will look into it. The physical upgrade itself isn't the issue as much as the paperwork that comes along with the upgrade. They are going to call me back tomorrow and I will report back what the verdict is. It may be too late to get this coordinated, but what the heck, I asked. It speaks volumes about the company that they actually called me back and are going to pursue it. Even it falls through, I'm impressed. "If" it is a go, I will post a separate subject on this forum so it bubbles to the top of the list.
Old February 26th 18, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

For anyone sending their transponder back to Mid-Continent -

I learned a bit of an expensive lesson. The UPS Stores set their own rates for insurance that are different than those posted on the UPS website.

Probably cost me about $30 bucks versus US Postal Service.

Lou
Old February 26th 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Very cool, thanks for the update.

One of my early exposures to a Trig just as they were entering the USA market was contacting them and asking a question about power consumption at low voltage. Their CEO replied and pointed out that was not something they had an exact number for.... but he would go over to the lab and measure it. :-)

Old February 28th 18, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

Trig got back to me w.r.t. firmware upgrades at the SSA convention... and hey are unable to do it. Follow the directions already provided in multiple posts for returning the unit for an upgrade.

Motor-glider talks at SSA convention in Reno Dave Nadler Soaring 10 April 21st 14 03:15 AM
Collision Avoidance K Soaring 8 September 5th 12 07:36 PM
Collision Avoidance and ATC Bubba Soaring 5 September 1st 06 04:31 AM
Collision avoidance equipment samcapt Products 2 May 13th 05 04:41 PM
Collision avoidance equipment samcapt Products 0 May 11th 05 11:00 AM