What was the last stupid thing you did?

Old June 14th 05, 01:55 AM
STEVEN SIMPSON

Default What was the last stupid thing you did?

I flew up to Tri city airport from central virginia in a 172 rg whith a full
load and just enogh fuel for the trip.Guess what happend on short final?Good
thing I am up to speed on dead stick.Anyone else have a close call they
learned a valuable lesson from.You know; the one you don't tell you flying
buddies about.

Old June 14th 05, 01:57 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

Got married.

Old June 14th 05, 02:01 AM
STEVEN SIMPSON

I hear ya.
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...
Got married.

Old June 14th 05, 03:19 AM
Bob Gardner

Just enough fuel for the trip? Did that include the 30 minute reserve
required by 91.151? That's not a close call...that's admitting that you are
brain-dead and a hazard to your passengers.

Bob Gardner

Old June 14th 05, 03:34 AM
STEVEN SIMPSON

Yes actualy I did figure my reserve,I just did not realize that to avoid the
ADIZ I would endup vectored all over the place .I made a mistake yes,I let
my self be destracted by ATC and did not watch my time.My mistake was not
planning my entire flight more carefully and taking in considertion the
congested air space that was flying into.
I have flown the same trip 5 or ten times with the same fuel and aprox wt.I
became complacent and My passengers and I were very fortunate.Sence then I
went to a flight instructor to review my flight planning and to brush up o
other things as well.I wrote this to show that the most experianced and well
trained pilot may become complacent.Even you sir.I hope all can learn from
my mistake.

Old June 14th 05, 04:08 AM
Gene Seibel

Today?
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old June 14th 05, 04:16 AM
STEVEN SIMPSON

No, This was last year.I havejust finished my CFI.I am much more proficiant
now.I just wanted to see how many "perfect" aviators were on this site.It
has been a subject of discoution at my office at the airport.How many pilots
do not realize their own faults until it is too late.I am a strong
supporterof the wings program. I knew I would find one.

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
ps.com...
Today?

Old June 14th 05, 05:40 AM
Montblack

("STEVEN SIMPSON" wrote)
[snip]
Yes actualy I did figure my reserve,I just did not realize that to avoid
the ADIZ I would endup vectored all over the place .I made a mistake yes,I
let my self be destracted by ATC and did not watch my time.My mistake was
not planning my entire flight more carefully and taking in considertion
the congested air space that was flying into.

Wonder why there aren't any spaces after the sentences in your posts? Is it
'style' on your part, or is it maybe a format/configuration issue? Curious?

Married is already taken I see.

How about not buying (....coming out of Chapter 11) Kmart stock, in 2003,
......AFTER we had talked about doing just that!!! Oh well.

(Stock chart: 2003 - 2005)
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SHLD&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=
Kmart coming out of chapter 11

Now listed as: SEARS HLDGS CORP (SHLD)

Montblack

Old June 14th 05, 05:49 AM
STEVEN SIMPSON

Must be a format issue. I have the corect spacing here.
"Montblack" wrote in message
("STEVEN SIMPSON" wrote)
[snip]

Old June 14th 05, 05:50 AM

Bob,

Don't you think that's a bit harsh? I mean, that's the thing about
aviation: 1) even smart (non-brain-dead) people sometimes do stupid
things. 2) a stupid thing can kill you.

Personally, I think this is what I worry about as a pilot more than
anything, that I will experience a moment of brain fade, or even,
exercise bad judgement, not habitually, but just once at the wrong
time, and then boom! crash/burn.

Would you say that you have *never* done something in an airplane that
you regretted doing because in hindsight it wasn't wise, and yet, got
away with it? Because, if so, the difference between you and the guy
who did not get away with it has at least something to do with luck.

(By the way, I'm not impugning your piloting judgement. You're Bob
Gardner! I am just drawing a connection to the human fallibility
aspect of being PIC.)

As an aside, as far as I understand, 91.151 is about beginning a
flight, ie, planning. If winds and/or other circumstances unfold
differently, you can legally end up landing with less than 30 minutes
in the tanks.

Of course, it's still stupid.

My $0.02,
-- dave j