Cirrus SR22 demo flight

Old May 4th 05, 10:13 PM
Ben Hallert

Great point, and that's covered in a very informative write-up that
AOPA published a couple years ago:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/2003/sp0302.html

Old May 4th 05, 11:15 PM
Happy Dog

"Ben Hallert" wrote in
Not sure I understand what you mean. I wrote:
I'm not sure I want a plane who's first recovery
technique for everything is 'pull the silks'

to which you responded
educate yourself on the subject.

Because the "silks" aren't the first recovery procedure for "everything".

I asked if you were a Cirrus owner because I wanted to hear some first
person experience.

No. But I have a couple hours in one and the sales rep let me put it
through some pretty serious unusual attitudes. It's a puppy *unless* you
get it in a serious spiral. Then the ASI winds up like the planes I'm used
to in a power on vertical dive. Obviously, I didn't attempt a spin. Lands
very fast and flat too (and is not too hard to injure) which, I understand,
is a significant problem for pilots transitioning from a 172 or similar Vso
plane. The rep had me approach at a good twenty knots over Vso (60 kts
IIRC) right to the numbers and appeared more anxious than when we were doing
stuff like power on falling leaf maneuvers. Apparently he's had some close
calls with pilots used to slower landing planes.

You didn't answer, but you did say:

Your speculation about Cirrus emergency procedures training was

either a joke or slothfully misinformed.

My response was that you might be mistaken, as the actual Pilots
Operating Handbook for the SR-22 says that you should deploy the
parachute to get out of a spin.

Somehow, you interpret this as a backpedal. Not sure how it would be
backpedaling, or where your anger is coming from. Is my personal
decision to not buy an SR-22 yet somehow hurting you?

Dude, is English your second or third language? You disparage the Cirrus
unfairly by claiming that recovery from "everything" requires use of the
parachute. It doesn't. And, I'm not angry. This is Usenet. It's a
discussion forum. Hyperbole is the norm.

moo

Old May 4th 05, 11:17 PM
Happy Dog

"Ben Hallert" wrote in message

I understand that most unintentional spins take place at altitudes
below realistic recovery altitudes anyways, but as PIC, it's my
decision whether or not I want to fly an aircraft, and as a buyer, it's
my decision on whether or not I like the 'whole package' for a plane.
I'm not trying to convince people that the Cirrus is evil, far from it.
Like I said, it's a great looking plane with a lot of very nice
features. That said, it doesn't meet my _personal_ criteria for safety
yet.

In one, barely significant area. Do you fly at night?

moo

Old May 4th 05, 11:25 PM
Peter Duniho

"Ben Hallert" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not sure I understand what you mean. I wrote:
I'm not sure I want a plane who's first recovery
technique for everything is 'pull the silks'

[...]
My response was that you might be mistaken, as the actual Pilots
Operating Handbook for the SR-22 says that you should deploy the
parachute to get out of a spin.

Somehow, you interpret this as a backpedal.

You even quoted the "joke or slothfully misinformed" statement, and yet you
still don't get it.

Even if the POH says that the immediate action for a spin is to deploy the
parachute (as you claim in your "defense" of your original post), that's
hardly the same thing as saying that the "first recovery technique FOR
EVERYTHING" is to deploy the parachute.

[...]
Can't we all just... get along?

Getting along is fine. But why should someone have to put up with false,
inflammatory statements?

Pete

Old May 5th 05, 04:09 AM
Ben Hallert

Sure, I fly at night. Again, why does my personal decision not to buy
the plane agitate you?

Old May 5th 05, 08:17 AM
Thomas Borchert

Tobias,

Purchase is a little bit on the
expensive side, though.

Ain't that the truth...

I would love to try out a Cirrus one day to see if the Star and the
SR20 are by any means comparable.

Don't. It would spoil your DA-40 enthusiasm. The Cirrus is MUCH more of
an airplane. Much more solid feel, much nicer interior, "real" doors et
cetera, whereas the DA-40 somehow still hints at its roots as a
motorglider. The only two things the DA-40 is better in is visibility
and engine technology (diesel available). And the SR20, with the
current US$ conversion rate, is even cheaper in Europe than the DA-40.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 5th 05, 10:10 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Stefan wrote:
I think you forgot the most important point: It's fun to fly.

Indeed it is - more due to the awesome visibility you get than the
handling (it's definitely designed to be easy in IFR and not 'sporty'!)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 5th 05, 07:47 PM
Happy Dog

"Ben Hallert" wrote in message

Sure, I fly at night. Again, why does my personal decision not to buy
the plane agitate you?

WRT to agitation, you're projecting. Your logic sucks. You base your
"personal decision" on the fact that the parachute might need to be deployed
for spin recovery. Yet you fly at night. The likelihood of an engine
failure exceeds the likelihood of an unintentional spin at a recoverable
altitude. Do you carry night vision equipment? Get it now?

moo

Old May 5th 05, 08:16 PM
Tobias Schnell

On Thu, 05 May 2005 09:17:14 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

I would love to try out a Cirrus one day to see if the Star and the
SR20 are by any means comparable.

Don't. It would spoil your DA-40 enthusiasm.

I just saw on the Cirrus website that they are offering FREE demo
rides for CFIs (hope this offer is also valid with their European
sales organisation...).

http://www.cirrusdesign.com/seeacirrus/demoflight/

Has anyone ever tried this out?

Tobias
Old May 6th 05, 08:53 AM
Thomas Borchert

Tobias,

Has anyone ever tried this out?

Uh, the original poster in this thread?

It's not that hard to get a free demo ride, e.g. in Germany.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)