MARK nomenclature

Old January 20th 04, 10:04 PM
David

Default MARK nomenclature

What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

Old January 20th 04, 10:39 PM
Andrew Chaplin

David wrote:

What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

Interesting question. I think it's a borrowing from French. I'd like
to hear an authoritative explanation too.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 20th 04, 10:47 PM
John R Weiss

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote...

What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate military
equipment ?

Interesting question. I think it's a borrowing from French.

Either that or some GS-eleventeen named "Mark" who wrote the procurement
manual... ;-)

Old January 20th 04, 11:08 PM
Keith Willshaw

"David" wrote in message
What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate

military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or

meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

Possibly from the Anglo Saxon Merc which referred to a
visible sign, marker or boundary.

Alternatively Mark is the English equivalent of Marcus
which indicates an affinity with Mars the Roman god of war

Keith

Old January 20th 04, 11:13 PM
Tex Houston

"David" wrote in message
What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate

military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or

meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

Since the "American Heritage Dictionary" has as one of entries under mark...

c. Capital M. A particular mode, brand, size, or quality of a product.
Usually followed by a designation such as a numeral and used attributively:
This automobile is the Mark X model.

Combined with the nautical meaning of mark (A knot or piece of material
placed at various measured lengths on a lead line to indicate the depth of
the water.) I think it is simply a way of distinguishing one model from
another, nothing more.

Regards,

Tex (who is assuming you REALLY wanted to know about the Marks of military
aircraft as this is not a general military forum)

Old January 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

David wrote:

What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

I've only seen one such designation, on a weapon - and it passed
out of our on-base inventory sometime in the late 1970s:
the MK 1 Mod 0 Walleye TV-guided glide bomb, sometimes referred
to as the AGM-62. Think of a big Maverick (AGM-65) missile but
with a bigger warhead and RAT generator instead of the rocket motor.
The Maverick used nearly the same video specs as the earlier
Walleye.
Old January 21st 04, 07:22 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Dweezil Dwarftosser" wrote in message
David wrote:

What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate

military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy

uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or

meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

I've only seen one such designation, on a weapon - and it passed
out of our on-base inventory sometime in the late 1970s:
the MK 1 Mod 0 Walleye TV-guided glide bomb, sometimes referred
to as the AGM-62. Think of a big Maverick (AGM-65) missile but
with a bigger warhead and RAT generator instead of the rocket motor.
The Maverick used nearly the same video specs as the earlier
Walleye.

Numerous nuclear warheads, and most freefall nuclear bombs (up to/thru
Mk-43, where they started calling things "B-43" in some sources), used the
"Mark" identification. I believe the Mk-28 was still in use while you were
in service?

Brooks

Old January 21st 04, 07:42 AM
Guy Alcala

Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

David wrote:

What is the history and meaning behind the work "MARK" to designate military
equipment ? The web site www.designation-systems.net says the Navy uses
the Mark - Mod nomenclature but doesn't say what the significance or meaning
of the word "Mark" is. Does anybody know ?

I've only seen one such designation, on a weapon - and it passed
out of our on-base inventory sometime in the late 1970s:
the MK 1 Mod 0 Walleye TV-guided glide bomb, sometimes referred
to as the AGM-62. Think of a big Maverick (AGM-65) missile but
with a bigger warhead and RAT generator instead of the rocket motor.
The Maverick used nearly the same video specs as the earlier
Walleye.

The Mark system was used by BuOrd (the USN's Bureau of Ordnance) to designate
weapons and related systems that they designed (or were designed at their behest),
which included Walleye. The Mk. 80 series bombs are another BuOrd weapon (M-series
bombs like the M117 are Army or Air Force derived). Things get more complicated
because not all navy weapons were designed by BuOrd, and other Bureaus (e.g.
BuAer) used other designation systems. Theoretically the Mark series should have
gone away when the tri-service designations took over in 1962, but remnants of it
remain in use.

Guy

Old January 21st 04, 09:26 AM
Krztalizer

Theoretically the Mark series should have
gone away when the tri-service designations took over in 1962, but remnants
of it
remain in use.

....such as in all types of USN torpedoes in use today. Not to mention
thousands of Mk 82s (and dozens of other weapon types).

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

AVIATION PRINT OF ENSIGN GEORGE GAY WWII BY MARK STEWART Treadhead Aviation Marketplace 0 October 19th 03 06:00 PM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM
Mark 12 Bob Olds Home Built 0 July 29th 03 09:55 PM