Heart trouble

Old July 16th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Heart trouble

Warfarin is the generic form. If you're getting Coumadin it may be
your MD's Rx said 'no substitutions'. I know of several anti-coag
clinics that do that, their staff claims there is greater batch to
batch variation in the warfarin than in the Coumadin. I have never
seen the charts they claim demonstrates this, so that's hear-say only.

Old July 16th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Big John wrote:
MS

My HMO only pays for generic (if there is one) and they give me
Coumadin??????????????

Big John

Coumadin is the brand name for warfarin sodium. Same thing. For any
doubters a source is the Physicians Desk Reference, 61st Ed., page 898.
Old July 16th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

If ordered as Coumadin you'll pay one price, if ordered in the generic
(unbranded) form, you'll pay a lower price. Some of the staff at the
anti coag clinic at Duke's Private Diagnostic Clinic ask their
patients to order Coumadin since they find it's easier to control
their INR. Others may have found otherwise, but the price difference
is real.

Old July 16th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

RomeoMike wrote:
Big John wrote:
MS

My HMO only pays for generic (if there is one) and they give me
Coumadin??????????????

Big John

Coumadin is the brand name for warfarin sodium. Same thing. For any
doubters a source is the Physicians Desk Reference, 61st Ed., page 898.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I'd lost it. Though, as I think about it,
the day is still young....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old July 16th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Thank you. I was beginning to think I'd lost it. Though, as I think about it,
the day is still young....

From past posts, I think I remember that you really are an RN; so you
might be
interested that Coumadin is a crystallized form of warfarin sodium.
Crystallizing
the warfarin (to make Coumadin) is supposed to get rid of some
impurities that have been in some
generic warfarin preparations. But aside from that, they are chemically
the same.
Old July 16th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
pgbnh

There are a series of heart symptoms listed in the FAR's that constitute
cause for 'self-grounding' (see 67.). AF is not listed as a condition that
requires you to ground yourself. You can choose to, but if a cardiologist
says you are OK, then I believe you can continue to fly.
The problem comes with the next medical where you must declare the condition
and your treatment. You should expect to have to do the following:
1. Go through a maximal stress test
2. Get a letter from cardiologist indicating his/her judgement of the state
of your cardiac health as well as any and all medications.
3. Possibly produce the results of a Holter Monitor (24 hour EKG).
4. You MAY have to go the 'Special Issuance' route, which means you can plan
on doing 1,2,3 every year.

Not for AF, but I have been doing this process for the last 7 years. PITA,
but I have my medical

If you are a member, call AOPA

On 2007-07-14 18:09:32 -0700, Ron Rosenfeld
said:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:36:28 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

If you're otherwise healthy, odds are that it will be controllable (drug
therapy) or correctable (some reversible cause; conversion; or a
procedure
called ablation) and that you'll be able to fly.

How long you won't be able to fly depends on too much information to
glean
here.

I guess I find out more Monday. I suppose some of it depends on what
caused the problem in the first place.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 16th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-07-16 14:34:46 -0700, "pgbnh" said:

[...]

Thanks, everyone. You guys really are a great bunch. Now we shall see
what the cardiologist says.

Old July 19th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

C J Campbell writes:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

That's where flight simulation comes in handy.

No, it doesn't

Bertie
Old July 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jules writes:

It means; if you knew who she was, you would stop digging and use the
ladder. (A polite way of saying you would shut up.) She has obvious
reasons for not saying, but you wouldn't understand such reasons and
I won't waste any more of your valuable internet time. Well, mine
actually.

In other words, you're making things up.

Bwahwhawhawhawhhawhawhawhhawhawhawhhawhawhawhhawha whawhhawhawhawhhawhawh
awhhawhawhawhhawhawhawhhawhawhawhhawhawhawhhawhawh awhhawhawhawhhawhawhaw

Old July 19th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jules writes:

It means; if you knew who she was, you would stop digging and use the
ladder. (A polite way of saying you would shut up.) She has obvious
reasons for not saying, but you wouldn't understand such reasons and
I won't waste any more of your valuable internet time. Well, mine
actually.

In other words, you're making things up.

bwahawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha whawhawhawhawhawhawhaw
hawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha whawhawhawhawhawhawhaw