Corsair / Hellcat Discussion

Old January 5th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack G[_2_]

Default Corsair / Hellcat Discussion

Not a "Which was the best fighter" but a discussion of the strengths -
weaknesses of each. Since the Hellcat had limited post WW II use, I would
like to limit discussion to the WW II service of each type. I would be
especially interested in any comments about the Fleet Air Arm (British) use
of both types. I have access to all of the performance and technical
specifications for each type by the way.

Old January 5th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Jack G" wrote:

Not a "Which was the best fighter" but a discussion of the strengths -
weaknesses of each. Since the Hellcat had limited post WW II use, I would
like to limit discussion to the WW II service of each type. I would be
especially interested in any comments about the Fleet Air Arm (British) use
of both types. I have access to all of the performance and technical
specifications for each type by the way.

I used to know a postwar US Navy pilot who flew both. He said that the
Hellcat was a very stable gun platform and that the Corsair was more of
a "pilot's airplane," in that it had far more sensitive controls and was
easier to maneuver. He said that the Hellcat flew like a great, big Cub.

He also told me that the Hellcat aces had excelled primarily in gunnery
and that the Corsair aces had excelled in pilot training.

Old January 5th 09, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Jack G" wrote in message
Not a "Which was the best fighter" but a discussion of the strengths -
weaknesses of each. Since the Hellcat had limited post WW II use, I would
like to limit discussion to the WW II service of each type. I would be
especially interested in any comments about the Fleet Air Arm (British)
use of both types. I have access to all of the performance and technical
specifications for each type by the way.

The criticism the FAA had about the Hellcat was that the Americans
wouldnt supply enough of them

The Corsair seems to have been a much more difficult aircraft
to operate off carriers, especially the early models. The RN persisted
with it after it failed its US carrier quals and found the extra performance
it offered over the Hellcat worth the trouble.

Both types operated with the RN during the air attacks on Tirpitz but
the Luftwaffe was conspicuous by its absence and the Hellcats seem
to have been operating as fighter bombers carrying 500lb AP bombs.

In the Pacific both types were used as escorts for Avengers on strikes
with the shorter range Seafires operating the CAP. A number of the
British carriers had insufficient hangar headroom to operate either
Hellcats or Corsairs which is why the Seafires were included in the
British Pacific Fleet

Keith

Hellcat vs Corsair JP[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 September 25th 07 10:04 PM
Hellcat Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 10 July 28th 07 09:38 PM
Another Corsair pic for Russell - Another Corsair pic.jpg (1/1) Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 July 26th 07 12:36 PM
Another Corsair pic for Russell - Another Corsair pic.jpg (0/1) Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 July 26th 07 03:28 AM