Moving a glider with a U-Haul Truck

Old February 10th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
haven

Default Moving a glider with a U-Haul Truck

On Feb 9, 6:50*am, wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:27*pm, wrote:

Does anybody have any experience moving a Standard/15m class sailplane
with a U-Haul truck or similar?

I see this as an option for self-retrieving from a *long* straight out
XC flight -- no-crew and no returning home to get your trailer (and
then back to the glider and back home -- makes me tired just talking
about it...)

I'm thinking you could do this with a bare, box truck (say a 26' long
U-Haul) with ONLY ratchet tie-down straps and some pads (i.e., stuff
available anywhere). *This includes the fueslage and wings. *With a

Has anyone tried this?

Eric
ER

The hours you save on the retreive will likely be exceeded by the hour
needed to fix the damage you will likely do to the glider.
Find a friend.
Good luck and don't let this keep you from trying that great flight.
UH

Eric, I'll come get you with your vehicle and trailer. I need a "road
trip" once in a while! Haven
Old February 10th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107

I too love "Road Trips", I've crewed for Doug 'Hangman' Levy many
times up to 300 miles across NV & CA, been flying 1-26's for over 10
years.

I also have a "Trailer Ball" and 4 Runner available for trailer pickup
and delivery any time.

Give me a hollar if you want a crew, I'm always available if I'm not
flying the 1-26 or Libelle.

I know how hard it is to get regular crew, esp on weekdays, and have
thought of the following scheme;

1. Don't worry about going straight out if the conditions warrent it.
2. Even if you land in a Hay Field you should be able to Hitch Hike to
a small town with Greyhound service. (Hanglider pilots use this
often.)
3. If you land at a regular airport rental cars are usually available,
or maybe even a short haul airline to get you back to your trailer and
truck.
4. In addition to this thought line, several of us have made an
informal pact that if one lands out, then one of the pilots that
landed back at the airport will drive the others truck & trailer to
retrieve.

So far I've used #1 & #4 with great success. This of course depends on
good comms between the pilots during the day.

Contact me at wayne at walker.org or cell 619 888 6119.

I'm always up for an adventure,

Wayne "FreeFlight107"