group management

Old February 8th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Chandler Knowles

Default group management

I see this newsgroup is being overrun by trolls and spammers. This has also
happened with most of the other newsgroups. I hope most of the regulars
here realize that you can block a sender so their posts do not appear on the
list, at least to you. In Outlook Express, click on the message from the
one you want to block, then select (top menu) TOOLS and then BLOCK SENDER.
I'm sure other reader programs have similar features.

It got so bad over at the alt.war.vietnam group that the sane among us
formed our own Yahoo Group several years ago. The format is a little more
clumsy but we control membership.

Just a couple of suggestions worth what I am charging.

Chandler Knowles
Pensacola, FL

Old February 14th 09, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim[_9_]

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:32:58 +0000, Chandler Knowles wrote:

I see this newsgroup is being overrun by trolls and spammers. This has
also happened with most of the other newsgroups. I hope most of the
regulars here realize that you can block a sender so their posts do not
appear on the list, at least to you. In Outlook Express, click on the
message from the one you want to block, then select (top menu) TOOLS and
then BLOCK SENDER. I'm sure other reader programs have similar features.

It got so bad over at the alt.war.vietnam group that the sane among us
formed our own Yahoo Group several years ago. The format is a little
more clumsy but we control membership.

Just a couple of suggestions worth what I am charging.

Chandler Knowles
Pensacola, FL

Another option would be to make this group moderated. When we formed it
open was clearly the better option. But as with so many other things,
times have changed.

Chief Jim

Old February 14th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Blanche

Jim wrote:
[...]

What's changed?
Anyone can buy a computer at the grocery store.
Anyone can get a gmail account for free.

No wonder the unwashed, illiterate masses are taking over newsgroups.