PW-6 family fun ------

Old March 3rd 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-6 family fun ------

Rod Morris, a PW-6 private owner operating out of Invemere in the
British Columbia Rocky Mountains, just messaged ---

"With both kids now flying, the plane gets a great deal of use. Plus I
have been allowing some junior club memebers and other pilots to get
checked out on it so they can transition to the PW5 Trevor has. I am
hoping to spend 10 days the first part of July in Invermere with Roger
flying full time as well since he is hoping to go solo this summer, at 14!
Daughter Kenna went solo last fall in it and I am sure she is going to
want to do a bunch more flying throughout June before leaving for a YMCA
camp in early July. Anyway, this is shaping up to be the busiest flying
season I have had. Plus I have some personal goals of flying south to
the "Steeples" that I hope to accomlish in June and July.

The positive side to all this is that the PW6 has worked out better than
I had ever imagined as a family plane."

--
Charles Yeates

ZS "Jezow" PW-6U & PW-5
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/yeatesc/world.html

Old March 3rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And this was so d*mn important that we all should know about it,
exactly why..?

Old March 3rd 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I thought it was a good story related to soaring. What's your beef?

Old March 3rd 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Knacklappen" wrote in message
ups.com...
And this was so d*mn important that we all should know about it,
exactly why..?

Haven't had our morning coffee, eh?

Snippy posts, like yours, don't do much to make RAS a friendly place.
Personally, any posts about kids flying make me smile.

bumper

Old March 3rd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Knacklappen wrote:
And this was so d*mn important that we all should know about it,
exactly why..?

Because it was a positively-framed input about soaring? Sheesh...

Regards,
Bob W.
Old March 4th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rrrright. To me it looks like a shameless plug for a PW 6...

I guess you take commercials on tv for friendly stories of neighbors
who happen to make good use of commercially available quality products,
eh..?

Good grief, the PW/6 guys are more irritating than all the Linux
zealots of the world combined...

/K

Old March 4th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I like the PW-6. It flys nice. Have you flown a PW-6? Have you
taught people how to fly in one? It's a good first step to the PW-5,
and any other sailplane for that matter.
I hope Charles (the dealer) will bring it back to the scenic
artist-community of Marfa, Texas and fly with us during the SSA
sanctioned PW-5 World Class Nationals this June 20-29, 2006.

OOPS! Just promoted at least two soaring businesses, the PW-5, the
PW-6, a national contest at a legendary site, the SSA, a small town of
2,000 souls, soaring fun, etc. Is this not allowed?

Supporting those who (barely) make a living at instructing, selling
soaring supplies or importing and certifying your gliders also supports
the sport of soaring in general.

You can probably imagine that it's not easy running a soaring business.
(Look at the ads in a SOARING magazine from 5 or 10 years ago and see
how many businesses are GONE!) You try it for 5 years and see how it
goes. You'll love the work, but you'll also wake up in the middle of
the night occasionally to worry about how you'll pay your bills. No
corporate paycheck at the end of the week, and no easy way to obtain
health insurance either. No franchise support, just a tiny niche
market, that can be highly regulated and taxed, with small profit
margins. When you decide to operate a soaring business, you are really
on your own. Like blue thermals - not always sure where the next bit
of lift (income) will be, but you manage somehow to make the telephone
ring, or get another potential customer to send you an email inquiry.
Your passion for the sport prevails, in spite of the questions from
your family, friends, accountant and banker.

So soaring businesses are occasionally mentioned on this newsgroup,
facilitating your needs, fulfilling your dreams, shipping glider parts
to you overnight, and keeping the towplane ready for you.

If I was trying to sell you a boat or offer you a mortgage, I would
agree that's "off-topic".

Soaring business promotion on this newsgroup also informs the new
enthusiasts that our resources and free professional advice are readily
available.

Soaring businesses - always ready to serve you, the soaring community.

Well, it's another good soaring day here, and I gotta go teach three
new soaring enthusiasts to fly. I love my job. (Can YOU say that?)

Burt
Marfa Gliders, west Texas USA
www.flygliders.com

Old March 4th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Knacklappen wrote:
Rrrright. To me it looks like a shameless plug for a PW 6...

I guess you take commercials on tv for friendly stories of neighbors
who happen to make good use of commercially available quality products,
eh..?

Good grief, the PW/6 guys are more irritating than all the Linux
zealots of the world combined...

I dunno, there are a lot more Linux zealots out there.

Shawn
Old March 4th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Interesting how, at least to me, the PW-6 looks like an interesting
glider (I tried to get our club to get one to replace a crashed Grob
103), but the PW-5 still looks a bit goofy.

I do think that (irrational comments about looks aside) the pair make
an interesting setup for club and commercial operations - a natural
successor to the 2-33 and 1-26 pair that has been the standard in the
US for way too long!

I hope we start seeing more of these ships in the US, and maybe more
newly minted glider pilots will want to stay in soaring and perhaps
move up to higher performance gliders, instead of dropping out after a
couple of years of tin-bashing in a nasty old 2-33 or 1-26 - you know
the one - the airspeed indicator is in MPH, the vario doesn't work, or
if there are two of them, they disagree, you can't reach the trim when
strapped in (or it doesn't work in the 1-26) etc....

Watch the next time you are at the gliderport and pilots are fidding
with their ships - glass ships get caressed often, as their curves and
finishes just beg for touching. Do that to the average 2-33 and you'll
need some bandaids!

Having said all that, CH and I spent a wonderful hour and a half
boating around in a (well, it was actually a pretty nice one) rental
2-33 at Turf yesterday and had a lot of fun - theoretical vario and
all. We just left the trim all the way back (neither of us is exactly
svelt..) and kept the bank angle steep and she climbed just fine.

Very retro - just like the bad old days, etc...

Cheers
66

Old March 4th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am one of the pilots who was fortunate enough to use Rod 's PW-6 to
transistion from a 2-33 into a PW-5. Rod took me along on a few flights
and I totalled up 6+ hours in the front seat of the PW-6. Rod was then
kind enough to allow the CFI and I to go up in his glider for a few
flights before I was finally put into the PW-5. The front seat of a
PW-6 , and the cockpit of a PW-5 are almost exactly the same and it was
a very smooth transition with only slight differences in the control
response. I flew the PW-5 for the last few months of 2003, and the
first 1/2 of the 2004 season and then switched into an Astir CS. I am
not sure if I would have made it into a glass ship that year if Rod had
not been kind enough to offer his ship to me for the checkouts. This
would have kept me in the trainer for the remainder of that season, and
the beginning of the next season as well. I am not sure if my soaring
would have advanced as fast as it has to date.... I flew the PW-5 to
get my Silver Duration and Altitude with a flight of 309 kms, and
later the silver declared distance . Although I flew the Astir last
year and was able to come in first place in the Novice Div. in the
Canadian OLC I still go back and fly the PW-5 on accasion and have some
fun flights.

The rude statement made earlier in this thread is totally uncalled for
... Perhaps Mr knowledgelakking should refrain from blurting out
comments and exposing his true intelligence.

Keith Watson
Canadian Rockies Soaring Club
Invermere BC.

--
Keith
Posted at www.flight.org

A36 for Family Trips Bob Owning 9 June 9th 05 04:06 AM
SU-37 Family avionics equipment LIM Military Aviation 0 April 28th 04 03:17 AM
Flying and the New Family Marco Leon Piloting 33 December 24th 03 06:11 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Lindbergh's other family Larry Dighera Piloting 11 December 3rd 03 12:30 AM