(sorta OT) Free Ham Radio Course

Old January 18th 05, 03:13 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:58:45 -0500, Jessica Carlson
wrote:

I've always
wished I could decode the morse code identifiers manually, and getting a ham
license seems like a lot of fun, especially if I can do it before my instrument
training starts in a few months. A friend of the family already has lots of
equipment that I can use.

Just curious Jess, but if you feel the need to manually decode
identifiers, couldn't you just study morse code and learn it?

Of course, if you have an interest in ham radios that's fine too.

Corky Scott
Old January 18th 05, 05:00 PM
Rich S.

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
news
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

Thanks for the post Jim. One of the 25% here and it is totally on topic
IMO.

Ditto what he said.

Mark Hickey WB9KWY

More dittos..........

Rich S. N7FXR

Old January 18th 05, 05:40 PM
Robert A. Barker

"Ron Webb" wrote in message

Bull****. It's 100% off-topic in rec.aviation.hombuilt AND
rec.aviation.piloting. There's no "crossbreeding

Well...I can tell you for a fact there is at least ONE "crossbreed" here.
suspect you are right about the 25% thing though. At least 25% of the Hams
know are (or were) pilots, but pilots who are also Hams are rarer.

As for whether it is on topic - there has been a thread here about how to
do
an antenna on a composite aircraft. A Ham would have no trouble building a
half wave dipole with a gamma match for 120 MHz, I would outperform a
grounded quarter wave and it would cost almost nothing. But I guess a
PILOT
is too good for that!?!!

Ron Webb
KA6BDM
Experimental Pacer N5158G

Another cross-breed here.Thanks for the post Jim

Bob Barker N8749S
W1KXG

Old January 18th 05, 06:14 PM

Ebby wrote:
Didn't at one time a pilot require a radio station license to legally

operate two-way radio equipment?

snip

I'm going from memory here, but I believe the radio station license
was required for the plane ( and still is when flying to some
countries). The pilot required a separate radiotelephone operators
permit (also still required in some countries outside the U.S.).
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 18th 05, 08:25 PM
Denny

Denny - K8DO - and Fat Albert the Apache...
One of my instrument instructors from way back had a bug about
carefully decoding each VOR and marker beacon and writing them down...
Of course, he had to copy down the dots and dashes then look each
letter up... By the time he did this we were usually established on the
glide slope... He would invariably challenge me with, "I didn't see you
write it down!" pugnacious glare
I invariably replied, "Didn't have to. I hear the morse code just like
I hear you"
Of course he never believed me and was always dialing up some VOR,
letting the identifier run through the code once, then he would quickly
turn off the audio and ask me what the letters were... I would tell
him... Then he would turn the audio back up and laboriously copy the
dots and dashes onto paper and look them up... Then he would glare at
me and pout for the rest of the ride...

Old January 18th 05, 09:13 PM
Don Tuite

Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

Don, NR7X
Old January 18th 05, 09:42 PM
Dave Butler

Don Tuite wrote:
Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

I disagree. I am a walking counterexample.
Old January 18th 05, 10:46 PM
Jon Woellhaf

It's probably an old Machado joke, but the story goes that an examiner
disbelieved a pilot who claimed to be able to identify stations without
consulting a chart. He tuned in an unknown station and waited for the ident.
Then he asked the pilot what it said. The smart-aleck pilot replied, "Da di
di dit, di dah dah dah, dah di dah dit."

Old January 18th 05, 11:43 PM
Don Tuite

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:42:01 -0500, Dave Butler wrote:

Don Tuite wrote:
Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

I disagree. I am a walking counterexample.

Sorry. I left off the YMMV.

Don
Old January 18th 05, 11:52 PM
Matt Whiting

Don Tuite wrote:

Let it be said that you can fairly quickly learn the code well enough
to pass the 5 wpm ham test, but you really need to spend a few months
on the air working people on CW before you'll have internalized the
code well enough to reliably indentify VORs under pressure.

What is the transmission rate of the VOR ID?

Matt