TT21/TN72 power consumption

Old May 19th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default TT21/TN72 power consumption

For those of you contemplating this, I've made some rough power measurements. Sitting in my shop with a clear view towards the airport, the TT21 is reporting nearly constant interrogations, and drawing between 120 and 150 ma. The TN72 alone draws about 70 ma. When both are powered and broadcasting ADS-B, the power is about 170 - 210 ma. All measurements taken with a clamp on hall effect sensor, +/- 10ma. So roughly, the extra power to transmit ADS-B is lost in the noise. The TN72 takes measurable power, but not much. This is a pretty cheap way to make yourself seen.
Old May 19th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
dans

Test
Old May 20th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 2:12:04 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
For those of you contemplating this, I've made some rough power measurements. Sitting in my shop with a clear view towards the airport, the TT21 is reporting nearly constant interrogations, and drawing between 120 and 150 ma. The TN72 alone draws about 70 ma. When both are powered and broadcasting ADS-B, the power is about 170 - 210 ma. All measurements taken with a clamp on hall effect sensor, +/- 10ma. So roughly, the extra power to transmit ADS-B is lost in the noise. The TN72 takes measurable power, but not much. This is a pretty cheap way to make yourself seen.

Thanks Jon. Nice to have real data.

Craig
Old May 25th 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 3:12:04 PM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
For those of you contemplating this, I've made some rough power measurements. Sitting in my shop with a clear view towards the airport, the TT21 is reporting nearly constant interrogations, and drawing between 120 and 150 ma. The TN72 alone draws about 70 ma. When both are powered and broadcasting ADS-B, the power is about 170 - 210 ma. All measurements taken with a clamp on hall effect sensor, +/- 10ma. So roughly, the extra power to transmit ADS-B is lost in the noise. The TN72 takes measurable power, but not much. This is a pretty cheap way to make yourself seen.

Not related to power consumption but still of possible interest to those of you trying to make this ADS-B out system work for gliders. I have been in touch with Darryl and Jon via email since I was unable to configure my TT22 and TN72 properly. My settings worked in that the FAA was able to send me a "Performance Report" on ADS-B out after a long flight but it was full of red boxes and con-compliance stuff. I talked to Midcontinent Avionics and they finally came back with a good reason for all this. I had sent the "core" of my Trig TT22 to them for a required firmware upgrade which they performed quickly and at no cost (except for shipping). I now heard from them that the "head" (display and function input) of the TT22 also has to be upgraded so that I can see the new settings options for the various and quite confusing combinations. Darryl had sent me settings that I never found when going through my device. With hindsight, I could have figured it out myself....
Still waiting for the proper settings from Trig and Mid-Continent.
Herb, J7
Old May 26th 18, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 2:42:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Here are some setting you can try

http://www.craggyaero.com/tt22_tn72_settings.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old May 26th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I used the settings Richard just provided in my experimental glider and the ADSB report showed no errors. You do need both the core and the display of the TT22 to be updated to the latest versions to see the options listed. Also really nice is the GPS based squat switch option that is now available.
Old May 26th 18, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

AH, yes, both units need a software upgrade. This was covered in several other threads, but I'm not sure I've seen that in the official docs from Trig.. Somewhere they do give the minimum firmware versions, if you are back rev from that you need to upgrade.
Old May 26th 18, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 6:56:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I used the settings Richard just provided in my experimental glider and the ADSB report showed no errors. You do need both the core and the display of the TT22 to be updated to the latest versions to see the options listed.. Also really nice is the GPS based squat switch option that is now available.

Thud. Sound of me beating my head against the wall.

Be careful, those settings Richard/Craggy Aero provided (and I helped write up) never say to set the squat switch to AUTO (to use GPS airspeed based air/ground determination). It may not be clear but the only intent there was you either use NONE (for TABS/SIL=1) or use a real physical pitot switch for SIL=3/2020 compliant installs (in which case you pick the option for a physical "swat" switch). Maybe a warning not to use AUTO needs to be there.

There is not really anything nice about the GPS squat switch and I don't know how many times I need to warn about that. I wish Trig would throw that crap out and provide pitot pressure switches with all their TN72 units sold for gliders. The AUTO (GPS groundspeed) mode in the Trig transponders is very easily fooled by low groundspeed seen in wave flights. Transmitting ADS-B ground messages while airborne is potentially a safety issue, certainly in violation of regulations, and will eventually get the FAA's attention, it will get flagged to FSDO staff who watch aircraft ADS-B issues. They have enough stuff to deal with with other aircraft transmitting bad ADS-B messages that the glider community does not need to add to it.

For SIL=1/TABS you do not need to broadcast ADS-B ground messages so set the squat switch in the menu to NONE (or not connected or whatever it's called). There is just no reason to ever use AUTO for SIL=1/TABS, there is no practical benefit at all for gliders and only bad things might come from that.

For SIL=3/2020 compliant installs, all aircraft are required to broadcast ADS-B ground messages when on the ground. Even though it's of likely no benefit to gliders in any practical scenario, and kinda silly, ... but since 14 CFR 91.227 (indirectly) requires ground messages to be broadcast we can't just disable it like we can do with TABS. I would not trust AUTO (i.e. use GPS groundspeed) at all, even in a glider that might really never be used for serious wave flights. As I've posted here multiple times before... for a SIL=3 install with the TN72 (which can only be done in experimental gliders and only with a TT22) I would use the pitot pressure switch that is provided in the TN70/TN72 STC kit (no you are not using the STC, you are just getting a known correct type of pneumatic switch and some tubing connectors in a kit).

I've worked with the main Trig glider dealers in the USA so they should be aware of this and know about ordering that STC kit (it's ~$150) and pretty trivial to install between the pitot and static lines behind the panel. Trig glider dealers selling pre-made cables to connect the TN72 to the TT22 also tell me they are including the extra wiring in their wiring harnesses for that pitot switch (but even without that it's simple to add, the SPST pneumatic switch shorts one TT22 pin to ground). I really hope that when customers buy a TN72 their dealers are talking with them about this and if they should buy that pitot switch kit or not.
Old May 26th 18, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 8:41:29 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
[...]

https://www.trig-avionics.com/suppor...duct-software/

But it's poorly written and confusing.

Control head: version 1.14
TT21/Tt22: version 2.12

You want the latest stuff in both cases. You absolutely cannot do 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out with the TN72 without this this, and I'd not try to do TABS either.

The most common problem *by far* with Trig ADS-B Out installs is simply people not having the software up to date. I've seen three (or four?) people get caught by this.

Both version numbers display on the control head LCD during power up, and then disappear quickly. I wish Trig had a better way of showing those, but I normally use my iPhone to photograph that startup screen.

Old May 30th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

Question. So if you are doing a SIL=1 install, and you set the squat switch to "none", is the ground-vs-air transmit modes controlled manually? (i..e. via the GND and ALT switches on the head unit? And a secondary question, if you set it to "GND", then will the unit transmit "ADS-B ground" messages?

Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great.... Darryl Ramm Soaring 38 April 1st 18 11:17 PM
Trig TN72 Antenna Andrew Ainslie Soaring 17 April 6th 17 04:21 AM
PDA power consumption AK Soaring 19 February 25th 08 05:11 AM
DR400 consumption figures Flavio Formosa Soaring 2 June 21st 05 10:23 PM
Question on fuel consumption Shemp McGurk Piloting 24 October 25th 04 11:50 PM