A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Grob G103 canopy transparencies made in the USA

Old May 31st 18, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

Default Grob G103 canopy transparencies made in the USA

I'm considering tooling up to make replacement canopy transparencies for existing sailplanes, or at least to have them made for me. I've seen a few requests for G103 canopies, so I thought I'd start there.

What I am thinking of is precision stretch-formed transparencies made over internal mandrels just like Mecaplex does--not hokey free-blown attempts that never fit right. I can have them made stateside for less than the Mecaplex price plus shipping, insurance, import fees, brokerage fees, etc. However, they still won't be cheap; expect prices of $2000 to $2500 each for front and rear transparencies.

Contact me bob at hpaircraft dot com for details. If I can get three or more firm orders, I can proceed.

--Bob K.
Old May 31st 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Grob G103 canopy transparencies made in the USA

Good show, Bob...........there is a real need for replacement canopies in the US. Thermo Tec was a good source in the past, but they're out of business.
Ray used a shaker-table that lowered a heated acrylic sheet over a felt covered mold. Fascinating to watch, too bad that business equipment, molds and knowledge couldn't be used. Have you tried to contact them?
Wishing you well,
JJ