Anyone still flying gyrocopters?

Old July 6th 03, 04:06 PM

Default Anyone still flying gyrocopters?

I flew helos in the Marines, and in the '60s put together a Benson kit.
It logged about 220 hours with zero problems, including a highly idiotic
trip from the CA coast to Catalina. In 1972, however, my wife-to-be
insisted it go before the wedding bells.

Are any of these still around?

Henry

It's much more than fireworks, barbecues, and beaches. It's a
celebration of the birth of the greatest nation on earth, and like
Independence Days around the world, ours was achieved by those willing
to fight for the ideals in which they had faith. Consider the
poet-lawyer Francis Scott Key in 1813 Baltimore, watching the British
fleet shelling the last barrier to invasion, Fort McHenry. He wrote:

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Study those words carefully.
Do you understand? This holiday was brought to you by your military.

Old July 6th 03, 07:08 PM

Quietpilot wrote:

Henry,

There is a gentleman at Gillespie Field, {SEE} flying one on a regular basis..
They still exist you will be pleased to know.

It would be interesting if that is the one I sold. Lived in Coronado at the time -
close enough. I'm out to Santee from time to time and will try to find someone who
knows where it's kept, or who's flying it.
Thanks!!

Old July 8th 03, 03:31 PM
Wooduuuward

Must be a good design if he's an old guy. Do you know which
manufacterer / model it is?

Old July 8th 03, 06:55 PM
Bob Martin

Well, I don't think that the gyro is that old. A year ago he was doing taxi
tests up and down the taxiway between hangar rows without rotor blades. I
want to say that he's about 55-60, but I could be wrong. As my dad said the
other day, that gyro of his is "like a mosquito... all it's good for is
making noise." And whenever he does fly it, it's only for a few circuits
around the pattern.

Old July 8th 03, 08:55 PM
Wooduuuward

Ya, I've heard parts of America and Canada were behind the times. Other
parts of the world have been using them for decades. Although I hear
Florida has one or two also. I found this page that may interest you:
http://popularmechanics.com/science/...ft/print.phtml
or this one:
http://www.baliciel.com/ulm/boispierre/boispierre1.htm

Old July 9th 03, 08:30 PM
gyrobob

Let me correct a few errors in your post.

The gyro was made in 2001. It is a Dominator basic powered by a 503,
a good design. True centerline thrust,.. which makes it a lot safer
and faster than the older configurations.

He is 56,.. at least you got that right. Retired USAF fighter guy.
Works for Delta now. A&P, CFI/II/MEI, Aero degrees, etc.

Your Dad is wrong, too. Gyros are good for all kinds of things,..
like sport flying and such. And yes it does make noise, but less than
most of the other aircraft at that field. The Christen Eagle that
shares the hangar with that gyro is quite a bit noisier. How did you
and your Dad develop such a snotty attitude about gyros?

Yes, he does fly lots of circuits flown around the pattern. Currently
he is doing a research on various combinations of props, numbers of
blades, pitches, rotorblade lengths, and such. No sense in flying to
Macon just to see if the rpm changed with that last pitch change.

Often he does fly to airports in the area. I guess you wouldn't
notice that, though, since you can't see it when it is not there, eh?
The gyro also attends a few fly-ins each year. Bensen Days in
Wauchula, Rotors over Carolina in Aiken, and the PRA convention in
Mentone,... plus the occasional pancake breakfast and such.

Old July 9th 03, 09:23 PM
gyrobob

Crazy? Old? Still?

Maybe he's not crazy. Maybe he's not old. Maybe he just started.

Where are you getting your information?

Why would you think him crazy?

Old July 10th 03, 12:03 AM
Model Flyer

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
Well, I don't think that the gyro is that old. A year ago he was

doing taxi
tests up and down the taxiway between hangar rows without rotor

blades. I
want to say that he's about 55-60, but I could be wrong. As my dad

said the
other day, that gyro of his is "like a mosquito... all it's good

for is
making noise." And whenever he does fly it, it's only for a few

circuits
around the pattern.

I'm a bit bothered about this, Old guy, at 54 I don't feel like and
'old guy', do I become an 'old guy' on my next birthday?
--

..
--

Antispam trap in place