Manufacturing Quality

Old August 7th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default Manufacturing Quality

I used to believe the same thing about GMC and Chevy, only cosmetic
differences. But now after owning two GMC Sierras I am beginning to
suspect some other differences. Even though the use hasn't changed, the
GMCs require about 1/2 the maintenance as the Chevys did. Simple things
like sticky throttles, intermittent switches, loose exhaust brackets,
etc. don't seem to be plaguing our GMCs like they did the Chevy variant.

My wife says they "sound" different too; "tighter and more
put-together".

Old August 7th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Carter wrote:

I used to believe the same thing about GMC and Chevy, only cosmetic
differences. But now after owning two GMC Sierras I am beginning to
suspect some other differences. Even though the use hasn't changed, the
GMCs require about 1/2 the maintenance as the Chevys did. Simple things
like sticky throttles, intermittent switches, loose exhaust brackets,
etc. don't seem to be plaguing our GMCs like they did the Chevy variant.

My wife says they "sound" different too; "tighter and more
put-together".

Just shows you the games our mind can play one us. They are made in the
same plant. http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/070207.html

I believe they are actually made on the same production line, but the
same people, with just a few parts (grill, some interior parts, etc.)
being different, but I can't find any proof of that at the moment. The
engines and components are identical so any difference you are seeing is
a sample difference, not a Chevy vs. GMC difference.

Matt
Old August 7th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:26 PM

Jim Carter wrote:

[...]

Maybe as time goes on they are getting a little more careful and have
learned a few things. Could be the Chevys and GMCs are not completely
identical mechanically and operationally.

Old August 7th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

I posted an question about airplanes and all you guys want to talk about
are your old pickup trucks!
Old August 7th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Carter" wrote

Maybe as time goes on they are getting a little more careful and have
learned a few things. Could be the Chevys and GMCs are not completely
identical mechanically and operationally.

YOU DIDN'T EVEN LISTEN TO HIM, DID YOU????

Off the same line means that one is a GMC, then the next two are Chevy. Do
you suppose the workers look at the ticket and say to one another, "Hey AL,
let's try and get this one right, and be a little more careful, not like
that last one we put together for GMC."

The more expensive brand has a different sticker put on parts, or a
different style trim. Oh, that's right, the more expensive one will have
more sound deadening insulation added, and more options included as
standard. THAT would make it "sound tighter" wouldn't it.

I hate ignorance.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 7th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Carter wrote:

[...]

If they are made the way I think they are made, it would be pretty hard
for them to be different fundamentally. I'd like to have someone who
can speak authoritatively jump in here, but I was told years ago by a GM
engineer that Chevy vs. GMC was treated just like AC vs. not AC. It is
a manufacturing option that is selected as the vehicle moves down the
assembly line.

Matt
Old August 7th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

john smith wrote:

I posted an question about airplanes and all you guys want to talk about
are your old pickup trucks!

How do you think we get ourselves and things like mogas to the airport! :-)

Matt
Old August 7th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Jim Carter wrote:

[...]

I built Firebird's and Camero's for six summers when I was in college.
For each vehicle, there was a sheet of paper that listed all the
details. At the start of each sub assembly, a copy of the sheet was
attached to the support frame. At each station, the worker would check
the list appropriate for the function he/she was performing and supply
the correct part to the assembly. There as an inspector and utility
man/woman at various points on the line to correct any incorrect
assemblies.
Old August 7th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Sunday, August 06, 2006 8:38 PM
[...]

Gosh, I didn't mean to upset you so Jim. I should have written "Could be
the Chevys and GMCs are completely identical mechanically and
operationally.

Ignorance maybe, but probably a case of not typing exactly what one's
thinking as occasionally happens to some of us.

Old August 7th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rocky

I believe they are actually made on the same production line, but the
same people, with just a few parts (grill, some interior parts, etc.)
being different, but I can't find any proof of that at the moment. The
engines and components are identical so any difference you are seeing is
a sample difference, not a Chevy vs. GMC difference.

Matt

I think they muse be on the same line. I have bought 3 GMS's, 2 sierras
and one 5500 in the past 4 years, still have i P/U and the 5500.
the P/U got delivered to me with a left door logo from chevy and the
rest was GME. The 5500 truck came with Chevy branded keys but is a GMC.
My bet is they came from the same line just lazy assemblers!