Air Force One

Old July 6th 03, 09:40 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:07:14 +0000 (UTC) "Jean-Pierre"
wrote:

:Maybe buy European Airbus and show some solidarity with Europe rather than
:it always being the other way round

Yeah, you Europeans were a real help in WW2.

And we certainly saw your support in the UN after 9/11.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old July 7th 03, 12:10 AM
Tom Fleischman

In article , Matthew Mayer
wrote:

I vaguely remember somehting about AF1 being required to have four
engines (here's the 2 vs.4 ETOPS argument again...). Urban legend or
not? Think Boeing could hang two extra engines on a Vista-Cruiser or
whatever they've decided to call the 7E7 when the time comes?? :-)

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it will be 777 over a 7E7.

How else will they be able to carry all those media flacks?
Old July 7th 03, 12:14 AM
TMOliver

"John Gaquin" iterated.....

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in
message

Yeah, you Europeans were a real help in WW2.

Unfair and inaccurate generalization. You have to be more
country specific.

JG

And we certainly saw your support in the UN after 9/11.

I can see it now....next AF1 built by a reincarnation of the
preWWII Polish PZL (with electrical system by Lucas...)

Think how many years le Grand Charles had to deal with the
less than transAtlantic range of the Caravelle (or the bitter
pill for the French Navy, when after building a new nuclear
carrier of their very own - capable of defending French
dependencies and intersts half the time, so France will not be
threatening when CdG's up on blocks in the dock - only to
discover that the only available AEW a/c came from the US - but
while saving a few francs, the designers had almost shaved away
enough flight deck to operate them).

TMO
Old July 7th 03, 08:09 AM
Gilles KERMARC

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

I was watching the PBS documentary they were showing this week
about AF1, and as they had shown the progression from the planes used
back in Franklin Roosevelt's tenure as President, to the B707 from
Kennedy to Reagan, to the current AF1 (at least that they showed in the
documentary, since Bush Jr. was in it), to be a B742 variant. It got me
wondering...

The B742 is just about all phased out, with the B744 and the
B777 doing the majority of the long haul runs of the Boeing line (yes,
the 767 series is there, but doesn't have the range of the 747 and
777), So, what would do you think the US gov't would do for the B742's
version of AF1's replacement? Does the Gov't have a contract with
Airbus, which could present the A380?

Someone's offering Airbus A340-600 :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/konnek-t/Info/index.html (towards the middle
of the page)

Old July 7th 03, 09:02 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old July 7th 03, 09:37 AM
Simon Elliott

TMOliver writes
I can see it now....next AF1 built by a reincarnation of the
preWWII Polish PZL (with electrical system by Lucas...)

I'm not sure whether they are still in business, but PZL were quite
recently building Mi-2 and Mi-14 helicopters under licence.

And they are still immortalised for many glider enthusiasts for their
rate of climb/descent indicator often referred to as "the PZL".
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old July 7th 03, 10:10 AM
Simon Elliott

Binyamin Dissen writes
wrote:

:Maybe buy European Airbus and show some solidarity with Europe rather than
:it always being the other way round

Yeah, you Europeans were a real help in WW2.

I'm pleased to learn that we Europeans had so little to do with WW2.
Takes a load off my mind. I'd hate to think that my parents' generation
really had to go through any of that stuff.

The story of London and other British cities being bombed by the
Luftwaffe was probably made up by 1960s planners as an excuse for some
of their bad discussions.

All those who sailed under the white duster, burning with 100-octane
filled tankers, or freezing in the water, unpaid after the first torpedo
hit their ship: safety standards weren't what they are now, or perhaps
the shipowners did it for the insurance?

The squadrons of British, French, Czech, Polish fighter pilots? Probably
drinking tea in the mess while the Eagle Squadrons did most of the real
fighting.

Jan Kubis and Joseph Gabcik? Probably bull****ters. Reinhard Heydrich
was a notorious bad driver.

I was talking to an elderly man the other day. He was reminiscing about
flying Lancaster bombers over the Ruhr. It's a relief to know from your
comments that he's probably senile and his memories are playing him
false. Poor chap, he probably thinks that most of his colleagues died in
action, when actually he's just forgotten their phone numbers.

Then there was the father of a friend, who allegedly was given the
responsibility of documenting one of the concentration camps in Germany,
immediately after it had been liberated by allied forces. There must be
some other reason why he never slept too well after WW2.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old July 7th 03, 11:14 AM
Cub Driver

The story of London and other British cities being bombed by the
Luftwaffe was probably made up by 1960s planners as an excuse for some
of their bad discussions.

I think the poster was perfectly willing to admit the role of
Europeans as aggressors and victims during WWII, just not as victors.
(I don't know how he regarded the Russians--perhaps as Asians.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 7th 03, 11:44 AM
Gilles KERMARC

They sure still are : http://www.adventureaviation.com/PZL.htm

Old July 7th 03, 12:04 PM
Simon Elliott

Gilles KERMARC writes
I'm not sure whether they are still in business

They sure still are : http://www.adventureaviation.com/PZL.htm

Cool. Thanks for the update.
--
Simon Elliott