Christmas Tipping

Old December 19th 04, 11:23 PM
Steve

Default Christmas Tipping

Do any of you tip your mechanic at Christmas time? And if so, about how
much is customary?

Thanks.

Old December 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:23:41 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

Do any of you tip your mechanic at Christmas time? And if so, about how
much is customary?

Anything more than twenty degrees and he falls over.... :-)

Ron "Moo" Wanttaja

Old December 20th 04, 12:16 AM
Michelle P

Sure I buy her something big and expensive....... for myself.
I do all my own work on my aircraft.
Michelle (A&P, ATP)

Old December 20th 04, 12:25 AM
Paul Anton

Everyone should tip their mechanic.

$250,000 or so at least.

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H
A&P

Old December 20th 04, 12:53 AM
Blanche Cohen

Just brought him a pan of brownies....Every few weeks (or more often,
depending how often I get to the airport) I bring brownies or
Krispy Kreme....

Old December 20th 04, 12:59 AM
tony roberts

Do any of you tip your mechanic at Christmas time? And if so, about how
much is customary?

No I don't. He charges high, I pay him and we're all happy.
But I do tip the guy who fuels my plane at my home base.
He's the guy who helps me put the wing covers on when it's windy.
He's the guy who brushes the snow off the tail of my 172 so it doesn't
sit with its nosewheel in the air,
He's the guy who goes out every monday and fills it if I forget to ask
on Sunday, so I never have to think about phoning for gas if I decide on
a whim to go night flying.
He's the guy who lets me dump all of my old oil in his waste drums,
He's the guy who let's me use his office to get weather briefings and
file a flight plan. Yeah - I tip him - he earns it.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 20th 04, 02:02 AM
Jay Honeck

Do any of you tip your mechanic at Christmas time? And if so, about how
much is customary?

This is a joke, right?

My A&P makes more than most of my guests at our hotel. He drives a 42 foot
yacht on one of our larger inland lakes.

Tips he needs not.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 04, 03:38 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Steve wrote:

Do any of you tip your mechanic at Christmas time?

No.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 20th 04, 02:09 PM
M.E. Borner

I give $200 to the line team and $200 to the maintenance team (2
separate operations). Besides helping these guys out (particularly the
line crew) they are always looking out for me.

The line team are up to the plane with a tug to push it back to the
hanger before I even shut down, they help get stuff to the car with the
cart whenever we return with a full load, they plug in the engine
heaters whenever I call. When it snows my hanger always seems to have
that extra foot of snow that the plow can't reach cleared away when
others don't so I don't have to chip it away after it turns into an ice
block. When I had recent starting problems they worked with me and the
power cart for a long time - no charge for the APU or the time. These
guys go way above and beyond and it should be recognized.

The maintenance team always can fit me in at a moments notice. The work
is thorough and neat. They always have time to answer a question and if
I need to borrow the odd tool or so they can always accommodate. I
realize that most of these maintenance plusses are expected service but
so are many other things you generally tip for. I look at the
maintenance tip as insurance that they will be there for me when I need
it. So far it has worked.

Old December 20th 04, 02:14 PM
Matt Whiting

M.E. Borner wrote:

[...]

I'd say you are getting a very good deal for you $400. You don't see
this level of service very often in GA these days.

Matt