CBS and the airpark manager

Old January 19th 04, 10:48 AM
Cub Driver

Default CBS and the airpark manager

Under the category of "suspicions confirmed," you might like to read
this piece from the Aero-News email newsletter this morning:

John Trissel: I Was Ambushed By CBS
Eagle's Nest Operator Says He Was "Grossly Mistreated" By
"Tiffany Network"

"I've never been so let
down in my life."

Those words from a bemused John Trissel, manager of the Eagles
Nest flying community outside of Waynesboro (VA) -- the man who was
quoted in the much-ballyhooed CBS story slamming GA security last
week.

Trissel estimates he's received some 200 flaming emails from
pilots and aviation enthusiasts, slamming him for his interview.
They say things like, "With promoters like John Trissel in the
industry, we won't have general aviation in a few years." Or, "It
was an incredibly stupid move. You might want to practice for your
next career."

The truth is, John
Trissel is as upset as everyone else about the way the CBS story
treated general aviation. Only he's more upset than most. He says
CBS took his interview out of context.

"They (CBS) knew exactly what they wanted to do to legitimize
their scam," he told ANN Sunday. "They would say things like, 'Do
you do it this way?' and I'd say no, but here's how we handle it.
They only air the part that said what they wanted it to say."

For instance, Trissel says, they asked him about whether pilots
at Eagle's Nest used baggage scanners. "No," he'd answer, "but we
only fly with people we know. If we have any questions about a bag,
it stays on the ground."

In fact, Trissel says
the CBS producer who called from Washington didn't let on what the
story was about. "What happened was they found an ad on a realtor's
site and called us. They called the realtor and said they'd like to
do a story on living with your aircraft. They said, 'We think
that's real unique.' So we put out the pretzels and candy and had
'em down here."

But only when the camera started rolling did the real motive for
the visit become apparent. "They started asking questions that
weren't what we expected. I've given a lot of interviews in my
career," Trissel said." I never had something so bad happen. I
usually get treated fairly by the press."

So what is the rest of the story?

"Of the 54 airplanes parked here at Eagle's Nest, all but about
four are locked up. Those four are transients," Trissel told ANN.
"We live right on the runway. We always know when someone is coming
or going -- even late at night. I always look out and talk with
(whoever is flying). If the voice doesn't match the owner of the
aircraft, I'm on the phone with law enforcement."

That's a relationship Trissel says was completely ignored in the
CBS story. "They wouldn't let me talk about the security measures
we do use or about the relationship we have with law enforcement.
If we have a problem, boom! They're here."

In short, Trissel says, "We felt like we got strung up pretty
good."

Since the day after the interview, Trissel says the flame-on
emails from pilots have subsided. Some have even written back to
apologize, apparently realizing that something was wrong and it
wasn't Trissel.

"I got several apologies from folks who flew off the handle and
wanted to say they're sorry."
FMI: www.eaglesnest.aero

For the WHOLE story, go to
http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav....e-96328707f241

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 19th 04, 02:48 PM
Roger Long

A democracy and its future depends more on the responsibility of the press
than on the integrity of its leaders. Leaders come and go and can be
changed if the public is properly informed.

We're in trouble.

--
Roger Long

Old January 19th 04, 02:49 PM
John Gaquin

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Under the category of "suspicions confirmed," you might like to read
this piece from the Aero-News email newsletter this morning:

John Trissel: I Was Ambushed By CBS

Falls into the category of "He shoulda known better than to trust CBS."

Old January 19th 04, 03:02 PM
Gene Seibel

A perfect description of the MO of the Terrorist Network. Don't feed
them.

So sorry John, that you were still one who had faith in humanity and
had your world shattered. I hope that because you went through it,
someone else won't have to.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 19th 04, 03:03 PM
David

Under the category of "suspicions confirmed," you might like to read
this piece from the Aero-News email newsletter this morning:

John Trissel: I Was Ambushed By CBS
Eagle's Nest Operator Says He Was "Grossly Mistreated" By
"Tiffany Network"

Nobody should allow themselves to be interviewed like this unless they make
their own videotape of the entire interview and are prepared to put it on
the internet as a rebuttal when the media terrorists strike. And you've got
to find out what is their real angle to the story. Be wary, pilots.

Old January 19th 04, 04:04 PM
Tune2828

Nobody should allow themselves to be interviewed like this unless they make
their own videotape of the entire interview and are prepared to put it on
the internet as a rebuttal when the media terrorists strike.

hear hear - smart idea. i notice this on local news all the time. it's so
tightly edited and when they have a clip of someone it's ONLY A RESPONSE - you
have no idea what question was even asked.

someone could say "i was scared to death and almost pooped my pants"

well they could insert that comment in any story from a roller coaster to a
home burglar.

not that they go that far - but who polices the news and gets upset when things
are that out of context?
Old January 19th 04, 04:25 PM
David

not that they go that far - but who polices the news and gets upset when
things
are that out of context?

we do

Old January 19th 04, 04:51 PM
Dan Luke

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote:
I have emailed AOPA, suggesting that they help Mr. Trissel sue
CBS for slaneder and defamation of character.

CBS indeed behaved despicably, but how did they slander or defame Mr.
Trissel?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 19th 04, 05:06 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote:
I have emailed AOPA, suggesting that they help Mr. Trissel sue
CBS for slaneder and defamation of character.

CBS indeed behaved despicably, but how did they slander or defame Mr.
Trissel?

Certainly -- by qouting him deliberately out of context, in order to
chang the meaning of his statements in a public arena.

It would be interesting to see a "deep pockets" tort lawyer get hold of
this one.