Moving to CA

Old April 12th 04, 01:39 AM
Ishrat Zahid

Default Moving to CA

I'm relocating to CA from MA in next few weeks and leaving my old flying
club here at LWM.
Wondering if I can get some good recommendation for flying clubs in the
bay area?
I'll be in Milpitas/San Jose area...
Thanks

/Nadeem

Old April 12th 04, 03:58 AM
Brenor Brophy

Nadeem,

The major GA airport serving San Jose/Milpitas is Reid Hillview (KRHV). You
can checkout it's home page at

http://www.reidhillviewairport.com/

I learned to fly at Tradewinds Aviation and then rented from them for about
5 months until I bought my own plane. There have a fairly good fleet of
aircraft from 172's up to twins. The maintenance is excellent, the
scheduling is online and works well. The rental rates are a little higher
than some other FBO's at the airport.

I have heard great things about Squadron 2, my CFII mostly flys out of that
club. I think they have one of the larger fleets with a pretty varied
selection of planes.

If tail-draggers are your thing, then Amelia Reid is the only place to
consider. Excellent reputation.

I believe there is still some GA activity at San Jose International (KSJC),
but it has been reduced a lot over the last few years as the airport has
grown in a pretty busy Class C. Hayward Airport (KHWD) is north of Milpitas,
I've never even landed there. Palo Alto (PAO) is across the bay. Nice place
to visit, but I've only ever done T&Gs there.

-Brenor

Old April 12th 04, 06:28 AM
Cecil Chapman

Check out Nice Air at Reid-Hillview RHV. Got my basic ticket there and am
currently finishing up my instrument ticket there, with plans to go on to
the Commercial and CFI.

I rent from them too, for my 'fun' flying.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old April 12th 04, 07:13 PM
Dave Jacobowitz

I fly out of Palo Alto (KPAO). I got my private ticket
and instrument rating with Sundance Flying Club, and I
continue to rent with them. It's a pretty laid-back
club, very informal, and the aircraft rent for a bit
less than other clubs on the field. The drawback is
that their fleet is pretty small right now. A Warrior,
an Archer, a Cherokee 180 that is not an Archer, a
(couple of?) 152's, a couple 172's, a Duchess, a 182RG.
Also, as part of the laid-back atmosphere, you get
aircraft that aren't as up-to-date as you might like.
(ie, bring your own GPS)

There are several other clubs on the field: Palo Alto
Flying Club, Stanford Flying Club, and West Valley
Flying Club. WVFC has a huge fleet, with all sorts of
different planes, many of which are newish.

Reid Hillview, I think, is overall a lot cheaper, but
I cannot stand driving to that place. I live in Campbell
which should be closer to RHV and it is to
PAO, but for some reason I can get to PAO faster in my
car, and the drive is less irritating.

My $0.02

Dave J

-- jacobowitz73 -at- yahoo -dot- com

Old April 13th 04, 04:43 AM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:39:06 -0400, Ishrat Zahid
wrote:

I'm relocating to CA from MA in next few weeks and leaving my old flying
club here at LWM.
Wondering if I can get some good recommendation for flying clubs in the
bay area?
I'll be in Milpitas/San Jose area...

I believe that RHV will be closer to you than PAO driving-wise, but I'd
have to look at a map to be sure.

I have flown a bit out of both airports... here are some notes:

RHV

- two runways (3100-ish feet long)
- helicopter training is available
- no restaurant on-field
- airspace butts up against foothills to the east, and SJC to the
northwest. There are basically two fixed-wing corridors you can fly into
it with - "Caleveras" and "UTC" - without talking to SJC.
- IMO, a boring selection of airplanes to kick the tires on, other than
having about 400% more helicopters than PAO... PAO has much more variety
for the airplane nut - Pilatus PC12s, T-34s, Sky Arrows (2 - this is the
airplane that made me want to learn to fly), Scottish Bulldogs (2),
floatplanes, Meridians - the list goes on and on. RHV is a huge
collection of C172/182s, Archer/Arrows, a smattering of Cirri (lease/own
only - no rentals), and decrepit twins. (Dons flame-retardant underwear,
but hey - this is how it seems to me whenever I walk the flightline...)

PAO

- decent restaurant/espresso shop on-field ("Abundant Air"). Really,
isn't this the most important airport feature?
- one runway; about the same length as RHV's but it seems shorter
somehow. Plus, it's not as well paved/level. Gets reeeeally busy at
times. I don't think I was ever called "Number 5 for Rwy 31" at RHV but
it's happened more than once at PAO in my short experience there. I miss
that other runway that RHV has.
- more complex/cramped airspace - just look at a sectional or terminal
chart. I'm still getting used to this (been flying out of there since
Nov. 03). You have Moffett to the southeast (military/NASA field) and
San Carlos immediately to the NW, followed by SFO. Oh, Hayward is over
there to the east too, just a few miles away.
- West Valley Flying Club has several Cirri for rent - both SR20s and
SR22s. This is why I joined this club; I can rent a totally
state-of-the-art airplane for $149 an hour ($175 with TCAS). Checkout
rates are less than that, at least in the winter. The CFIs I've talked
to are professional and passionate about their craft.

In the end (i.e. after spending about 300 hours at RHV and 20 at PAO),
I'd pick PAO for my fixed-wing needs - and I'd pick WVFC as a Base Of
Operations. However - for whatever reason CFIs seem to be more expensive
at PAO than RHV, so if your flying budget is really a budget then RHV
might be better if your needs involve a CFI.

Note that all of the above, along with a buck seventy-five, might get
you a single-shot espresso at Abundant Air, so treat the value of my
advice with this valuation 8^) .

Dave Blevins
-
Old April 13th 04, 12:22 PM
Cecil Chapman

I live in San Francisco (the city, proper) and in good traffic I'm down
there (RHV) in an hour or less.

From San Carlos, CA it is only another 25 minute drive to RHV and from Palo
Alto, Reid-Hillview is even closer than that.

I checked out the FBO's at Palo Alto and they are all rather high on the
HOBBS rates - this includes San Carlos Airport as well. I've also heard
through the pilot grapevine that it takes 'forever' to get sequenced out of
Palo Alto; which is a consideration while you are burning up valuable
instructor and HOBBS time WAITING ON THE GROUND to be sequenced out of the
airport - meanwhile the dollars are just ticking away.

For example: To rent a C-152 II at West Valley at Palo Alto you pay almost
$70 at Nice Air at Reid-Hillview you pay $55 per HOBSS hours. A 172
Skyhawk at West Valley rents for almost $90/hobbs hour versus Nice Air at
Reid Hillview where you will pay $63-$68. The hysterical part about the
price difference is that at most of the flying clubs like West Valley YOU
HAVE TO PAY MONTHLY DUES to get those rates - At Nice Air at Reid-Hillview,
there are NO MEMBERSHIP FEES - so you can spend your money learning to fly.
Keep in mind, too that for the difference in rates, the student can get in a
lot more weekly flying hours and be able to train more often than they could
otherwise do.

By the way, best part about Reid-Hillview is the weather (at least for
primary students), it is rare to get a day that isn't flyable. Of course,
affordable planes and great instructors don't hurt either.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
om...

Old April 13th 04, 01:00 PM
Cecil Chapman

- two runways (3100-ish feet long)
- helicopter training is available
- no restaurant on-field

But the area is surrounded by any number of restaurants.

- airspace butts up against foothills to the east, and SJC to the
northwest. There are basically two fixed-wing corridors you can fly into
it with - "Caleveras" and "UTC" - without talking to SJC.

Calaveras, UTC are just one of the few 'corridors' as you call them that you
can fly without talking to NORCAL or SJC, if you look at a sectional you'd
see there are quite a bit more. Additionally, let me take the time to point
out that learning to talk to SJC and Norcal is just good solid experience
for any pilot - nothing is worse than having a private pilot flying around
who is afraid to talk to anybody on the radio, except for their home field.

- IMO, a boring selection of airplanes to kick the tires on, other than
having about 400% more helicopters than PAO

For God's sake, man,,,, if you find the process of flying 'boring' maybe you
are in the wrong sport?

??? I spend LOTS of this time at this field... If, as you say, RHV has
"400% more helicopters than PAO",,,, then PAO must have only ONE helicopter,
because there really aren't that many helicopters on the field. Most of the
activity and presence is fixed-wing from tail draggers to trainers, to
twins.

... - the list goes on and on. RHV is a huge
collection of C172/182s, Archer/Arrows, a smattering of Cirri (lease/own
only - no rentals), and decrepit twins. (Dons flame-retardant underwear,
but hey - this is how it seems to me whenever I walk the flightline...)

Oh geez,,, have you ever SEEN RHV??? there are twins, taildraggers, new
Cessnas as well as older models the field, but yes, there are also older
(but well-maintained) planes there, also. So, if you are the kind who can
only impress the ladies with that shiny new plane and not the glory of
flight (regardless of how one gets UP there),, maybe shiny, new planes are
what YOU need,,, but they are certainly not a necessity for the original
poster who wants to learn how to fly and discover the magic of flight - for
that you only need a decent well-maintained plane, determination and 'the
dream',,, that's it.....

Oops wait,,, I think I just figured you out.... Here's the REAL problem you
have with RHV - unlike PAO (where the rich folks play), there are no BMW's,
Mercedes' and their ilk infecting the parking lots and GASP there are NO
nearby espresso/latte' stands ,,,, and GASP AND HORRORS, the area that
surrounds RHV is ethnically diverse! ;0)

Here's what you'll find at RHV (though, of course there are always a few
exceptions); pilots driving well-worn, older model cars 'cause they are
saving their bucks for that plane they have in the hangar, or for their
flying lessons - because in the end, it isn't the fancy car, or the flash,
or the praise/accolades they are looking for,,, they just LOVE to fly. All
ya need for that is the determination and a mechanically-sound airplane,
doesn't have to be brand-new and flashy. Like that bumper sticker
says,,,,,, "Flight,,,, all the rest is just 'details'".

=-----

Old April 13th 04, 08:23 PM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:00:14 GMT, "Cecil Chapman"
wrote:

- two runways (3100-ish feet long)
- helicopter training is available
- no restaurant on-field

But the area is surrounded by any number of restaurants.

I still give PAO the thumbs up - I can grab a quick sandwich right there
next to the FBO. Now, granted, RHV has a nearby In 'n Out which gets
bonus points I guess. But I have to drive there - it's too far to walk.

IMO RHV's management is missing a bet by not making it easier for a
restaurant to occupy the upper level of the gub'ment building there.

- airspace butts up against foothills to the east, and SJC to the
northwest. There are basically two fixed-wing corridors you can fly into
it with - "Caleveras" and "UTC" - without talking to SJC.

Calaveras, UTC are just one of the few 'corridors' as you call them that you
can fly without talking to NORCAL or SJC, if you look at a sectional you'd
see there are quite a bit more.

Nonetheless the ones I mentioned are what probably 90% of the
inbound/outbound VFR traffic use. (BTW I *have* been known to look at a
sectional occasionally, but mostly they're great for wrapping aviation
presents. )

- IMO, a boring selection of airplanes to kick the tires on, other than
having about 400% more helicopters than PAO

For God's sake, man,,,, if you find the process of flying 'boring' maybe you
are in the wrong sport?

I don't like 30 year old airplanes with scratchy radios and "INOP"
placards plastered all over the place. I prefer to spend a little more $
and fly something nicer and newer. But really, my point was that PAO has
a lot more interesting planes, both in the air and on the ground, on any
given day - to ME. Remember, I said in my post that it was MY OPINION
and MY EXPERIENCE. Clearly yours is different - no worries, but I feel
like I'm being attacked.

??? I spend LOTS of this time at this field... If, as you say, RHV has
"400% more helicopters than PAO",,,, then PAO must have only ONE helicopter,
because there really aren't that many helicopters on the field. Most of the
activity and presence is fixed-wing from tail draggers to trainers, to
twins.

My math was a little buggered. To be clear: to my knowledge there are no
rental/training helicopters at PAO, while there are three at RHV.

Oh geez,,, have you ever SEEN RHV??? there are twins, taildraggers, new
Cessnas as well as older models the field, but yes, there are also older
(but well-maintained) planes there, also.

Yawn. The most interesting plane that was there for a long time, that
you could walk up to anyway, was an old Navion that hadn't flown in a
looooong time. Beat-to-pieces 182s and Archers are boooooooring. And not
a SINGLE New Technology airplane exists on the entire field that can be
rented. PAO has four that I can think of, and even SQL has two or three.

So, if you are the kind who can
only impress the ladies with that shiny new plane and not the glory of
flight (regardless of how one gets UP there),, maybe shiny, new planes are
what YOU need,,, but they are certainly not a necessity for the original
poster who wants to learn how to fly and discover the magic of flight - for
that you only need a decent well-maintained plane, determination and 'the
dream',,, that's it.....

Whatever. And, BTW wtf is this nonsense about impressing the ladies with
an airplane? I fly for the challenge, not to get laid. That's what my
giant pilot's watch is for!

Oops wait,,, I think I just figured you out....

Nnnnnk, but thanks for playing. You don't have me Figured Out.

Here's the REAL problem you
have with RHV - unlike PAO (where the rich folks play), there are no BMW's,
Mercedes' and their ilk infecting the parking lots and GASP there are NO
nearby espresso/latte' stands ,,,, and GASP AND HORRORS, the area that
surrounds RHV is ethnically diverse! ;0)

Actually I have wondered if the "Ilk" are why airplanes and CFIs cost
more there than at RHV...

And there are TWO Starbucks in the shopping center across Capitol/Tully
from RHV. So there.

Here's what you'll find at RHV (though, of course there are always a few
exceptions); pilots driving well-worn, older model cars 'cause they are
saving their bucks for that plane they have in the hangar, or for their
flying lessons - because in the end, it isn't the fancy car, or the flash,
or the praise/accolades they are looking for,,, they just LOVE to fly. All
ya need for that is the determination and a mechanically-sound airplane,
doesn't have to be brand-new and flashy. Like that bumper sticker
says,,,,,, "Flight,,,, all the rest is just 'details'".

OK, OK. I flew out of RHV for my first four years; now I'm at PAO for
fixed wing stuff, so maybe I was just bored with RHV in general.
Criminy, don't get your panties all in a wad. None of what I said
implies that I don't love to fly. I just love different aspects of it
than you do! Jeez!

---

I'll close by mentioning one thing I forgot to mention about PAO - I'm
still not used to flying over water all the time in the pattern. With so
many airplanes typically in the air, it's difficult to fly a very tight,
"safe" pattern (in case of an engine failure or whatever), and that
water looks cold from 800'.

dB.

Old April 14th 04, 12:25 AM
Cecil Chapman

I still give PAO the thumbs up - I can grab a quick sandwich right there
next to the FBO. Now, granted, RHV has a nearby In 'n Out which gets

Yes, but the sandwich will cost you a million dollars at PAO!

But I have to drive there - it's too far to walk.

Woosy! grin

Actually I have wondered if the "Ilk" are why airplanes and CFIs cost
more there than at RHV...

Survey says............ "Yes"

But then again, there's San Carlos which has similiar HOBBS rates to PAO..
If I were to be serious for a moment, I guess that's what bugs me most about
some of the local flying clubs; ya pay the monthly dues AND enrollment fee
and you STILL pay higher HOBBS rates.

given day - to ME. Remember, I said in my post that it was MY OPINION
and MY EXPERIENCE. Clearly yours is different - no worries, but I feel
like I'm being attacked.

Yes,,, but your opinion is wrong and I felt it was my duty to point it
out... '-)

And there are TWO Starbucks in the shopping center across Capitol/Tully
from RHV. So there.

Yes, but they are generally not in plain view, so I don't find their
presence as 'obscene' as I normally would '-)

I don't like 30 year old airplanes with scratchy radios and "INOP"
placards plastered all over the place. I prefer to spend a little more $
and fly something nicer and newer. But really, my point was that PAO has
a lot more interesting planes, both in the air and on the ground, on any

But that simply isn't true,,, there are perfectly nice (AND new - especially
at Tradewinds) airplanes at RHV. Even the older trainers at Nice Air are in
respectable shape.

OK, OK. I flew out of RHV for my first four years; now I'm at PAO for
fixed wing stuff, so maybe I was just bored with RHV in general.

If you laid off the Starbucks caffeine,,, you'd 'come down' and then flying
would be exciting again, no matter where you flew ! ;-)

Criminy, don't get your panties all in a wad.

Hey!!! How did you know what I was wearing for underwear??? THAT'S what I
get for waking up at three in the morning and trying to dress in the
dark,,, knew something felt different....... :-/.

I'll close by mentioning one thing I forgot to mention about PAO - I'm
still not used to flying over water all the time in the pattern. With so
many airplanes typically in the air, it's difficult to fly a very tight,
"safe" pattern (in case of an engine failure or whatever), and that
water looks cold from 800'.

Flying over the water has never been one of my favorite things, either.
Don't know if you have your instrument rating yet, but assuming you
don't.... Just wait until you do an instrument approach into Monterey,
Norcal takes you WAAAAYYYY out over the ocean to start the
approach,,,,,,,,,,,,, YIKES!!!! Also the Watsonville instrument approaches
give me the willies too for a similar reason. For some weird reason, flying
the Bay Tour (with only Crissy Field as the only likely emergency landing
site,,, aside from a ditching in the bay) doesn't 'bug' me,,, go figure.....

=-----

Old April 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Dave Jacobowitz

Wow, I thought this was a rather inocuous thread; a relatively
safe place to post, but alas, I think someone was just insinuated
to be classist and racist based solely on support of his favorite
aerodrome.

For the record, they're both fine airports. The wet rate for
your favorite airplane is higher at PAO. That's a fact. There
are restaurants near RHV that are good, and there are restaurants
near PAO that are good, too. Lunch near PAO will cost you more,
however.

Both airports can get busy, and you might wait at PAO sometimes,
though I have never waited more than 2-3 minutes unless waiting
for an IFR clearance (and that's going to be the same PAO or RHV)

Oddly enough, and worth repeating although it's been said already,
the weather at the two airports is quite a bit different. It's
hotter at RHV than PAO in the summer (note the Bay). There's
more moisture activity (fog, low clouds) at PAO than RHV (note
the Bay). Both airports have GPS approaches, and PAO has a
VOR approach which you can't get most of the time, anyway.
Some people think PAO has frequent difficult crosswinds. I
dunno... it's what I grew up with.

I have seen [nice|beater] [foreign|domesetic] [automobiles|aircraft]
at both airports.

I still stand by my statement that the traffic to get to RHV,
especially at peak and near-peak times (like cutting the afternoon
at work a little short) is the main reason I prefer PAO. I'm
starting from Santa Clara (office) and that's just how it works
out. Also, from Campbell (home), which is a good ten miles
closer to RHV than PAO, it's a faster drive on weekends.

-- dave j

SWRFI update... Moving again (argghh!!)... Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:34 AM
Navzilla Moving Map Software for iPAQs and Laptops Navzilla Team Aviation Marketplace 0 May 20th 04 03:01 AM
Moving Time Rogue AI Piloting 11 March 18th 04 09:26 PM
Engine moving day... Gene Z. Ragan Home Built 2 March 16th 04 01:26 AM
FS: GPS - Handheld II Morrow - Apollo 920 Moving Map NRH, Texas Aviation Marketplace 0 July 24th 03 06:47 PM