My Annual

Old July 15th 05, 02:51 AM
Jim Burns

Got our invoice for the Aztec's maintenance, repair, windshield install, and
annual inspection right in front of me...

1. Cleaned and gapped plugs... owners did this
2. RE Comps 72/80 76/80 74/80 74/80 74/80 76/80 450 SMOH
LE Comps 72/80 72/80 76/80 76/80 72/80 72/80 1750 SMOH
3. Complied with SB CE-04-88 Inspection of Tail torque tube
4. Installed new mag bearings & gaskets on left engine
5. Reinstalled shims on flap torque tube
6. Installed one piece windshield (group effort, about 15 A&P hours)
7. Installed new left engine alternator belt, required pulling the
prop... owners did this
8. Installed new Hyd., Air, and Vacuum Filters... owners did this
9. Cleaned fuel injectors... owners did this
10. C/W all AD's
11. Annual Inspection

Total A&P labor 39.5 hours $2172.50
Total Parts $141.55
Tax $127.27
Grand Total $2441.32

Like Jim W. pointed out, most of this is not the Inspection but needed
repairs and regular maintenance items.

Owners did all disassembly and reassembly, most of the A&P labor was for the
new windshield install, approximately 24 of the 39.5 hours. Rest of the A&P
labor was for Comp checks, helping to remove and reinstall the horz. stab.,
install mag bearings and gaskets, time mags, install flap torque tube shims,
re-build flap actuator arm guide, annual inspection, bookwork, and helping
us do miscellaneous things. Owners also did the engine wash-downs, engine
oil/filter changes, all lubing, and repacking the wheel bearings.

Jim

Old July 15th 05, 04:51 AM

Free labor from the mechanic's apprentice, eh?

You're lucky... my A&P /IA makes _me_ do all the grunt work myself,
plus I have to pay for all the beer after the plane is put back
together, signed off and test flown.

Mike Granby wrote:
The apprentence's labor comes without charge

A bargain, I would say.

Old July 15th 05, 06:27 AM
Charles Talleyrand

It seems some Cessna 150 owners have been finding cracks in the
vertical tail attach bracket.

It seems the FAA thinks the same thing, since they issued an Airworthiness
Directive in 1980 for that same problem. See AD 80-11-04.

I do wonder if we are mis-understanding each other. The inspection i'm
trying to describe was according to the A&P an optional inspection, and
a new one. He's normally on the ball.

Several repetitive AD inspections checked
New oil and filter

Had nothing to do with the annual INSPECTION.

Spark plugs cleaned and gapped

Had nothing to do with the annual INSPECTION.

Yes, technically you are right. However, almost everyone describes the
inspection and the repair as "the annual". And this is a useful bit of
speach. And you've already made this point several times over the
years. And if you really want to be technical, I didn't say "annual
inspection" I just said "annual". But I think you are being picky for
no reason.

Old July 15th 05, 03:37 PM

I'm going in on Monday (25th) for my 7th annual . . . '67 C-172-H.
I will do everything owner is permitted to do (as I have for the last 5
years).

Will report results here when complete. I fly about 125 hrs a year,
and at least once a week, often 3 times.

We shall see.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 15th 05, 03:53 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Jim Burns wrote:

Total A&P labor 39.5 hours $2172.50
Total Parts $141.55
Tax $127.27
Grand Total $2441.32

Taxed on labor? geez what a scam...
Old July 15th 05, 04:40 PM
RST Engineering

I do wonder if we are mis-understanding each other. The inspection i'm
trying to describe was according to the A&P an optional inspection, and
a new one. He's normally on the ball.

No, I don't think so. It is impossible to do the inspection on that AD
without seeing the whole attach bracket. If your mechanic wants to do a dye
penetrant check, that is between you and (s)he.

Yes, technically you are right. However, almost everyone describes the
inspection and the repair as "the annual".

That is because over the years, shops have conditioned the owners to
thinking that the "annual" (which is nowhere defined WITHOUT the word
"inspection" attached) is the time to cover the owner's vacation in Hawaii
with a bit put aside for the kid's college fund. It would appear that you
have been so conditioned.

And this is a useful bit of
speach.

Useful bit of speech for WHO?

And you've already made this point several times over the
years.

And I will continue to make it.

And if you really want to be technical, I didn't say "annual
inspection" I just said "annual". But I think you are being picky for
no reason.

Your call. I reiterate, there is no such thing as an "annual".

Jim

Old July 15th 05, 05:26 PM
Jim Burns

Welcome to Wisconsin.

Section 77.52(2), Wis. Stats. (2003-04),

provides that, for the privilege of selling, performing, or

furnishing certain services at retail in Wisconsin to consumers

or users, a tax is imposed upon all persons

selling, performing, or furnishing the services at the rate

of 5% of the gross receipts from the sale, performance,

or furnishing of the services.

Services subject to Wisconsin sales tax include the following

(this list is not all-inclusive):

.. The repair, service, alteration, fitting, cleaning,

painting, coating, towing, inspection, and maintenance

of all items of tangible personal property

unless:

performed on a tax exempt property or as a capital improvement.

Sucks don't it?

Jim

Old July 15th 05, 05:40 PM
john smith

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Taxed on labor? geez what a scam...

Ohio taxes services, also.
I even pay tax on my flying club dues.
Old July 16th 05, 12:56 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

And if you really want to be technical, I didn't say "annual
inspection" I just said "annual". But I think you are being picky for
no reason.

Your call. I reiterate, there is no such thing as an "annual".

Sure there is. The popular usage of the term "annual" is that
fun time of year when an annual inspection occurs, plus all those
repairs, service, and improvements made to the airplane.
Not to mention the "while-we-are-at-it" things.

Good luck trying to eliminate the phrase "annual" from the owner's
vocabulary. You'd have better luck getting people to properly
use "methodology" and "methods."

:-)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old July 16th 05, 01:42 AM
RST Engineering

Well, then, this year's "annual" cost me:

$550 for the cylinder inspection and repair/replacement of the exhaust valve
and a ring set
$350 for the muffler replacement
$190 for the muffler shroud repair
$125 for the wash/wax job
$150 for what I would have charged me for the "annual"

But how much of this is "annual inspection"? $150. I could have done all
that other stuff any time during the year. As you say, it was a hell of a
lot more convenient while the airplane was apart, but it isn't part of the
annual inspection.

Not to mention vacuuming the rugs and painting the dings and the prop.

Jim