Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Old January 7th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter R.

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Wolfgang Schwanke writes:

It can't get up there, the C172 has a service ceiling arount 14,000 ft.

Then how do you know how it behaves at FL250?

It doesn't behave there at all, because it can't get there on its own.
If MSFS allows you to fly a C172 to that altitude, it models it wrongly.

I've never placed my hand into the yellow flames of a campfire but I KNOW
with certainty what would happen if I did.

--
Peter
Old January 7th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Buck Murdock writes:

And that would be the key point. I *do* know. I operate them for a
living, doing airline training in them.

What operating system is used?

Hence the $12 MM pricetag for a typical Level D simulator, and the
nearly $1000/hour you'll pay to fly it.

I feel certain that generous profit margins are built into these
prices.

Yes. Which is why a full-motion simulator is not available for $69 at
CompUSA.

Not yet, at least. The motion part will be expensive for a long time,
because there is very little trend towards cost reduction in
mechanical systems, but the computers are already there--there just
isn't any readily available software to handle it. A standard PC is
fast enough to handle it.

Old January 7th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Peter R. writes:

I've never placed my hand into the yellow flames of a campfire but I KNOW
with certainty what would happen if I did.

You extrapolate based on the knowledge that you have, but you do not
know.

The distinction can be important in flying. Pilots who extrapolate
and confuse extrapolation with direct knowledge can get into trouble.

Old January 7th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stefan

Wolfgang Schwanke schrieb:

It doesn't behave there at all, because it can't get there on its own.
If MSFS allows you to fly a C172 to that altitude, it models it wrongly.

Actually, you're wrong in two ways:

You can get up there in a 172. You just can't go up there on your own
(which you stated correctly). Once at altitude, release from whatever
took you there and look how the3 172 behaves.

Second, todays numeric models are astonishingly accurate. Feed the data
in a suitable program and look how the 172 would behave.

Stefan
Old January 7th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Sam Spade

Buck Murdock wrote:

Yes. Which is why a full-motion simulator is not available for $69 at
CompUSA.

Damn!
Old January 7th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:

Buck Murdock writes:

And that would be the key point. I *do* know. I operate them for a
living, doing airline training in them.

What operating system is used?

Hence the $12 MM pricetag for a typical Level D simulator, and the
nearly $1000/hour you'll pay to fly it.

I feel certain that generous profit margins are built into these
prices.

Yes. Which is why a full-motion simulator is not available for $69 at
CompUSA.

Not yet, at least. The motion part will be expensive for a long time,
because there is very little trend towards cost reduction in
mechanical systems, but the computers are already there--there just
isn't any readily available software to handle it. A standard PC is
fast enough to handle it.

You are so full of ****.

Several million of the $10-12 million goes to buy all the cockpit
hardware and essential avionics software and systems interfaces.

Again, you are so full of **** and an arrogant pain in the ass. If you
were for real and my aviation student, I would drop you like a hot potato.
Old January 7th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:

Sam Spade writes:

Because I chose not to.

And I chose to regard your assertion with suspicion in consequence.

The provisions of 91.129 apply to Class B and C airspace unless there is
something in the Class B or C rules that *clearly* countermands some
part of 91.129

According to whom?

According to the little man inside your head that gives you those awful
headaches.
Old January 7th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Sam Spade writes:

Several million of the $10-12 million goes to buy all the cockpit
hardware and essential avionics software and systems interfaces.

Where does the rest go?

Old January 7th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BDS

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Peter R. writes:

I've never placed my hand into the yellow flames of a campfire but I

KNOW
with certainty what would happen if I did.

You extrapolate based on the knowledge that you have, but you do not
know.

Predictable response. Now, if someone were to back you up and say they did
put their hand in the flames and what you predicted would happen is
accurate, the response will be "not everyone is like you".

It is argument for argument's sake.

Old January 7th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
TxSrv

Mxsmanic wrote:
Sam Spade writes:

Several million of the $10-12 million goes to buy all the cockpit
hardware and essential avionics software and systems interfaces.

Where does the rest go?

Toward the huge manufacturing and other costs incurred to
hand-produce a very complex machine in extremely low sales
volumes.

F--