Splitter/diplexer/duplexer for 2 COM radios

Old June 27th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

Default Splitter/diplexer/duplexer for 2 COM radios

Is there a product that will allow me to
share one antenna with 2 COM radios or
a COM and a handheld?
Old June 27th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

There are a couple of ways of doing it, none of them particularly
inexpensive or practical. If you are asking if there is a product on the
market that will do it, I believe that the answer is no.

Jim

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

.. .

Old June 27th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
ktbr

Jim Stewart wrote:

Is there a product that will allow me to
share one antenna with 2 COM radios or
a COM and a handheld?

Nothing as cheap, simple and reliable as installing another antenna.
Old June 27th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

A 'cheap' way to share an antenna with a hand-held when the official com
goes belly up is to cut the coax where it is easily accessible during flight
(like under the instrument panel near your knees) and installing the
appropriate coax couplers to rejoin the cable (something like a double
female bnc coupler and a couple of male bnc connectors on the two coax
ends). You can connect an adapter coax between the hand held and the
antenna side of the split coax for using the handheld in an emergency. One
down side to such an arrangement is that you obviously don't want to
accidentally plug your handheld into the wrong side of the split coax and
transmit into the expensive com radio. And wasn't it Jim at RST who wrote
an article in one of the homebuilt magazines about a panel plug in for
attaching a hand-held to the com antenna?
--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

It is not work that kills men; it is worry. Worry is rust upon the blade.

Old June 27th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

It was indeed Jim in Kitplanes March 2002 (Good memory, Mike) that used a
cheap 3.5mm "transistor radio" set of jacks to automatically disconnect the
com radio when you plugged in the portable radio.

Jim

Old June 28th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Jim Stewart writes:

Is there a product that will allow me to share one antenna with 2 COM
radios or a COM and a handheld?

My position is, you have a 2nd radio for redundancy. Any sharing scheme
introduces a new single point of failure that will negate that redundancy.

Add a 2nd antenna.
--
A host is a host from coast to

Old June 30th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

Gus Cabre wrote:
http://www.rst-engr.com/kitplanes/KP0203/KP0203.htm

Thanks but no thanks. I think I have a proper
Dow-Key coax relay in one my junkboxes and if I
decide to go forward, I'll use it.

Old June 30th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

My avionics guy (unsolicited, it's just one of those things he does)
put a BNC male to female fitting in the com cable and routed it just
under the control yoke. All you have to do is reach up, disconnect
the antenna cable from the wire to the comm radio and plug in your
handheld.

The only thing would have been nice was if he had told me he did it.
I found it while under the panel for other reasons.
Old July 7th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

And you think that relay, with operation measured in hundreds of
milliseconds, is going to protect tens of watts from frying your fractions
of microvolts front end measured in tens of microseconds?

What a maroon.

Jim

signal splitter Tri-Pacer Home Built 2 November 5th 05 09:47 PM
fs: icom radios [email protected] Piloting 0 May 11th 05 03:10 PM
U$ Says Prisoners Beaten With Hand-Held Radios, NOT Clock Radios! *snicker* JStONGE123 Military Aviation 1 May 11th 04 06:22 AM
Commercial - New Data Splitter for 2-Seat Gliders John Giddy Soaring 3 September 17th 03 06:01 AM
TKM radios Peter Gottlieb Piloting 5 August 15th 03 02:44 PM