Opinions wanted

Old January 5th 04, 06:22 PM
ArtKramr

Default Opinions wanted

I am going to outline a real situaitoin that occured during WW II. I would
like to hear opinions and solutions as to how the situation should be handled.
I will give the real solutuion that was imposed during the war after a week or
so when many opinions have been offered.

There was a large factory producing torpedo gyroscopes and timeing devices
for the German submarine service. It was located in the midst of a very
populated area where the highly skilled workers lived with their families.
These workers were near irreplaceable. It took many years to learn the needed
skills, and without these workers production and quality would have been
dramatically down graded. One more point. This factory was not in any country
with which America or England was at war. What would you have done? Remember
these German torpedoes were slaughtering American and British seamen and
denying food and arms to England. What would you have done? Opinions?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old January 5th 04, 06:52 PM
Tarver Engineering

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

FDR wasn't nice to the US Marshal's and that left him only the Italians,
being squeezed out of New York, for covert operations. (Clark County Ak) I
doubt there was much the US could do under FDR, in those conditions. There
was help in Sicily, but there was not the broad "invisible hand" that is
available to GW and once the founders.

Old January 5th 04, 07:49 PM
killfile

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

I'd have offered them more for the gyros than the Germans could pay.

Matt

Old January 5th 04, 07:58 PM
Mycroft

Would this country be Switzerland or some other Neutral by any chance? My
guess would diplomacy followed by threats then sabotage then if that failed
whoops our bombers strayed off course..

Myc

Old January 5th 04, 08:47 PM
Simon Robbins

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
I am going to outline a real situaitoin that occured during WW II. I

would
like to hear opinions and solutions as to how the situation should be

handled.
I will give the real solutuion that was imposed during the war after a

week or
so when many opinions have been offered.

snip

First off, the neutrality of the country should be questioned diplomatically
and openly if it is knowingly supplying war equipment to a hostile
government on either side. If the country refuses to stop the sales then
maybe it could be persuaded to re-tool to produce equipment for the
"friendly" powers, sanctions be put in place, supply lines targetted
exitting the country, or war declared as a last resort. Either way,
neutrality is forfeit if production continues.

You don't have to go too far to see this situation being played out all over
the world. Western governments (and the former USSR) routinely supply
weapons or components to countries engaged in hostilities with which they
themselves are not.

Si

Old January 5th 04, 08:55 PM
Alan Minyard

On 05 Jan 2004 18:22:15 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:

[...]

Well, first I would tell them to stop supplying the Nazis, and if they did not
I would declare war on them. Followed quickly by an aluminum overcast.

The fact that civilians lived in the area should have influence their
decision to maintain production, it should not be a factor
in the decision to eliminate the plant.

Al Minyard
Old January 5th 04, 09:17 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

ArtKramr wrote:
There was a large factory producing torpedo gyroscopes and timeing
devices for the German submarine service. It was located in the
midst of a very populated area where the highly skilled workers lived
with their families. These workers were near irreplaceable. It took
many years to learn the needed skills, and without these workers
production and quality would have been dramatically down graded. One
more point. This factory was not in any country with which America or
England was at war. What would you have done? Remember these German
torpedoes were slaughtering American and British seamen and denying
food and arms to England. What would you have done? Opinions?

Sabotage.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old January 5th 04, 09:59 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , ArtKramr
writes
[...]

I'd investigate the supply route those systems get to Germany by. Is it
along a sea route with anywhere convenient that RN destroyers could make
pointed inspections of neutral shipping, looking for and seizing war
materiel like torpedo gyroscopes? (You rarely get so lucky, but it's
worth checking)

Is there any political leverage that can be applied to persuade this
country to stop selling to a belligerent? (Or are we also buying
important precision components from them? That last confuses issues
badly and limits our more vehement options)

Can we outbid the Germans for those components? Good gyroscopes are
worth having with quite a lot of applications. US torpedoes are having
major depth-keeping problems until about 1944, can we get a solution
made there to keep those expensive neutral workers too busy to make
German components? And do these 'neutrals' make tumble-resistant
gyroscopes? I know there's at least one bombardier who'd really like one
for his Norden

Declaring war on them and bombing the hell out of the city district
where the factory sits is an option to consider, but may have more
problems than benefits.

Offhand I'd guess the factory was maybe in Switzerland, more likely
Sweden, and I think the eventual answer was to grit teeth, bear it, and
sink the U-boats so they never get to fire the torpedoes.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill