Chicago VFR throughway

Old July 8th 04, 03:01 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
nk.net...

The discussion of the sectional still showing Meigs was an offshoot.

And in the discussion of that offshoot you said, "Talk to Midway!"

Old July 9th 04, 07:11 PM
PaulH

Looking at my Terminal Area chart, there is no "flyway" identified as
such.

However, if you are under 1900' MSL and stay just north of the
Freeway, I'd say you wouldn't have to talk to anybody. You could
check with Midway ATIS to see what freq they are guarding for radar
contact and let them know what you are doing.

This isn't a route for the faint of heart - as someone else has
observed, there is no place to land except the occasional railroad and
at 1900 ft you don't have much choice anyway. Even Meigs has been
covered with trees and shrubs.
Old July 10th 04, 01:45 AM
Travis Marlatte

As you've quoted it, that was Chuck. Not me. It looks like Chuck was
responding to your summary of the current depiction of the Meigs airspace.
If so, I think talking to Midway is the wrong answer. It's still dipicted
but nobody in Chicago claims ownership and their is no more risk passing
through that airspace than anywhere else along the lakeshore.

I have talked with both Chicago Approach and with Midway when loitering
around on the lakefront. Both have given me squawks and provided advisories.
If I am just transitioning along the lakeshore, I don't talk with anyone.

However, in response to the original question, I did suggest talking to
Midway to pass just to the north of their airspace. It's not necessary. But
it does seem like a good idea.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
ink.net...

Old July 10th 04, 04:24 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
link.net...

As you've quoted it, that was Chuck. Not me. It looks like Chuck was
responding to your summary of the current depiction of the Meigs airspace.
If so, I think talking to Midway is the wrong answer. It's still dipicted
but nobody in Chicago claims ownership and their is no more risk passing
through that airspace than anywhere else along the lakeshore.

Passing through that airspace without talking to ATC would be a violation of
the FARs.

Old July 16th 04, 12:25 AM
Steve McCroskey

Stu,

I've considered this route before, but I really don't like that
corridor. Yes, it exists, but you have very little margin for error.
Better to contact MDW and transition their airspace then run the risk
of threading the needle. I've found the boys at MDW to be a decent
bunch, so long as you can follow directions!

Paul

"Stuart King" wrote in message r.com...
Chicagoans...please advise ...

What about flying from North to South along the shore.
Then cross between Midway and O'Hare at 1500MSL.

Then continue south, after flipping the bird to Mayor Dick Daley.

Is this the way, or is there something like the Hudson river VFR corridor ?

SK

Old July 16th 04, 08:35 AM
chicagoCFI

Please, for the love of all that is airworthy, DO NOT fly at multiples of
500 below 3000 AGL. Remember, VFR cruising altitudes BEGIN at 3000 AGL.
Below 3000 AGL you will be more likely to avoid midairs by flying at
altitudes such as 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100, 2200, 2300, 2400, 2600,
2700, 2800, 2900, 3100, 3200, 3300, etc

AOPA's Collision Avoidance Safety Advisor document says the same thing.
Take it from someone who has seen this technique work wonders in the
chicago area.

And please get an FSS briefing to check for TFR's and avoid the Bravo and
Charlie and Delta airspaces.

Remember, you are NOT cleared into Chicago's Class Bravo just because you
are on flight following from Chicago Approach.

Best advice, get a local CFI to show you the area. You will do yourself
and your passengers a favor for doing this.

Fly safe, and have fun !

"Stuart King" wrote in