New Coating

Old March 16th 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default New Coating

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 2:59:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Pik 20 drivers will keep this companies stock price high

Why????? Beading of water on the PIK20 wing profile (same as a SGS-1-35 IIRC) is the same.
ANY contamination kills the performance. Best bet on this profile is:
-600 grit sanding @ ~45* to airflow
-Wipe from spar forward with liquid dish soap so the water sheets, NOT beads

Finer sanding, wax, etc. all are "death" to wing performance. Anything like the product in this thread, RainEx, wax, etc. all make liquids bead. While some of these will shed most of the water, the rest will make a glass ship about like a 1-26 in glide (and before the 1-26 drivers jump on me, I'm part owner of 002......and have quite a few hours in it.)
Old March 16th 16, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Your right, mea culpa, I was thinking that with the extreme beading and sheding action of this product, the water would be gone fast. Thats true but I forgot you many times have to fly thru showers for an extended amount of minutes. With this products extreme beading your totaly screwed. I fly a 1-26 so with its non laminar flow airfoil non of it matters, sand or wax or smatter with bugs, ya still get 23/1 lol.
Old March 16th 16, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 4:24:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I fly a 1-26 so with its non laminar flow airfoil non of it matters, sand or wax or smatter with bugs, ya still get 23/1 lol.

Only get 23:1 from a 1-26 with a tailwind!

Old March 16th 16, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shhhh dont let our little secret out.
Old March 16th 16, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In all seriousness, after about 40 hours of flying my recently restored 1-26 I consistently get over 22/1 day in day out. My flight computer is set for 22/1 and I never fall below it. The only thing possibly a little more exceptional about my bird is I spent a good bit of time with sealing to remove as much drag as possible. But wing wise, mine have got 50 years of dings and wrinkles, it doesnt seem to matter much.
Dan 1-26 #225
Old March 18th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is there anybody who tried out this one?

http://www.loprestiaviation.com/#!speedcoat-2-/chjn
http://www.loprestiaviation.com/#!pr...-lsm-scd-037-1

Not really cheap, especially since you probably need two spray bottles or more for a glider.

removing transparency coating Brad[_2_] Soaring 13 September 22nd 09 02:13 AM
Penalitel anit-corrosion coating Jon Woellhaf Owning 2 June 27th 07 06:11 PM
Coating aluminum Lou Home Built 23 December 24th 05 04:11 AM
How to identify fabric/coating process used? Wallace Berry Home Built 7 October 7th 05 07:14 PM
Suitable coating for spring-steel wire? Wright1902Glider Home Built 6 February 9th 04 04:12 PM