So I am getting to know Ryan

Old February 17th 19, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default So I am getting to know Ryan

So I have been getting to know Ryan. I first showed up at the local gliderport in the early to mid-nineties, having recently turned thirty, less than a decade before. Ryan was the mechanic who toiled under an old oak tree to a keep fleet of tow planes and Schweizer gliders in the air. His tool storage and machine shop were spread through several shipping containers, but the hangar was an oak tree. The weather was as constant as Ryan’s smile. In the winter it is COLD and can be very windy, in the summer, it IS HOT. Ryan was a largish man whose personality was the first thing one noticed. I had very little interaction with him as he was at the other end of the field, worked weekdays, and I had my own glider and flew on weekends.. Through the years, on occasion I would need to barrow a tool or even get help putting the glider together. Ryan had a mechanic’s eye and when he “helped” I just stepped to the wing tip and he had the alignment in nothing flat, pins home and secured, much faster than I could ever do.
Ryan was also a ride pilot, something we shared. I am not sure I have seen anyone have more fun flying other people. Tow pilots soon learned when Ryan was flying to keep the tow close to the terrain as Ryan liked to let the rides try their hand at formation flying, this dampened such gregarious pilotage.
I had always secretly marveled at how happy this man was working under conditions that would have made me unpleasant to be around. Last summer Ryan received a devastation diagnosis. I thought I had better tell him how much I had admired how he did his job before it was too late. I sure am glad I did!
As I am now getting to know Ryan I am amazed at how differently we have lived and how much alike we are. We have both done blue water sailing, only Ryan did a crossing to Catalina and back in 16 foot Hobbie and I in nothing smaller than 40 feet. Photography, flying, the meaning of life. As time is progressing it is more difficult to get a window of time to visit with him, but I certainly cherish our newfound friendship. For a working man I just cannot think of a better example of a job well done. He is facing this part of his life with the same class and competence he brought to the gliderport. Thank you Ryan I am so glad I am finally taking the time to get to know you!
Old February 18th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

Thank you Jonathan for sharing this story.

Branko XYU
Old March 8th 19, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Hello everyone,

For those who don't know me, I'm Chelsea, Ryan's only daughter. I'm sorry to tell you Ryan Brown passed away this morning [March 5] at about 5 am. He was not alone. His wife Cindy and his hospice nurse were there with him, and he died peacefully after fighting a losing battle with esophageal cancer. Cindy took excellent care of him the last few months, I can't thank her enough for loving and caring for him. He also had a fantastic crew at Sharp who took care of him.

If you ever got to know my father, you know he was a pretty special guy. He was the man that would stop every single time when he saw someone stranded on the road. Many times, he would be able to fix what was wrong and send people on their way. Wherever he would go, if he saw a screw loose, he'd tighten it. If there was trash on the ground, he'd pick it up. If there was a car stuck in a ditch, he'd figure out a way to pull it out. Ryan Brown was not one to look the other way
and let things become someone else's problem.

He worked incredibly hard and although it might not always seem like he liked it, he did. When he wasn't fixing or maintaining things at Sky Sailing, he was in his garage doing it for neighbors and friends. He didn't always get paid for it, but that never stopped him. He always told me it was more important to do something I like then something that only paid well. His workshop burned down in August 2018, and sometimes I think that was the day he actually died.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ngzGDmJmawJ1mHx9