Off-topic question about on-topic picture - wright-bournemouth.jpg (1/1) [420K]

Old April 24th 12, 12:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default Off-topic question about on-topic picture - wright-bournemouth.jpg (1/1) [420K]

The attached Flight picture shows Alexander Ogilvie's Wright biplane being
towed out at the July 1912 'aviation week' at Bournemouth on the south coast
of England. Ogilvie was the 7th person to qualify as a pilot in the UK.

My off-topic question is very straightforward and concerns the vehicle towing
the aircraft: what kind is it?

I have every confidence that someone here will know.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wright-bournemouth.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	55295
Old April 25th 12, 03:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Default Off-topic question about on-topic picture - wright-bournemouth.jpg [420K]

Must be a British car the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
Old April 25th 12, 05:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

wrote in message
Must be a British car the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Not necessarily. Even up to the 1920s there were still cars made in the US
with steering wheels on the right.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old April 25th 12, 12:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Must be a British car the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Not necessarily. Even up to the 1920s there were still cars made in
the US with steering wheels on the right.

Even today there are still right-hand drive vehicles produced in the U.S.
They just happen to be either huge dumps to work with a mine's dragline or
little postal delivery vehicles.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old April 25th 12, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Conscious Pilate[_2_]

G'day,

maybe if you put it up on alt.binaries.pictures.autos - that lot would
certainly suss out what it is.

see ya

Conscious Pilate

Old April 26th 12, 12:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Off-topic question about on-topic picture - car.jpg [50K]

On 2012-04-25 13:26:24 -0700, Netko said:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 03:20:55 +0100, wrote
(in article ):

Must be a British car the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

I'd be happy to live in a world where right is wrong and left is right if
only someone could tell me what kind of car it is.

Attached is an enlargement of the vehicle to see if that helps. It seems to
me to have a fairly distinctive body shape and surely somebody must recognise
that badge/logo on the radiator grill. Then again, what I know about makes
and models of cars would barely fill a thimble.

And, to set the record straight, the picture was taken at Bournemouth's
Aviation Week in July 1910 and not as I said originally. It was at the same
event that Charles Rolls, co-founder of Rolls-Royce, was killed when taking
part in a spot landing competition. Rolls was only the second person in the
UK to be killed in an aviation accident (the first being Percy Pilcher in
1899).

image

I am not able to ID the vehicle myself. However, I have posted an ID
request, together with both of your images, in one of the best
automotive forum sites,
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com in their
Classic Car forum.
I will report any response which might be forthcoming.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old April 26th 12, 03:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-25 13:26:24 -0700, Netko said:

[...]

Well, my guys at Ultimatecarpage seem to have come through. The vehicle
is apparently a custom coachwork, 1910 Delahaye Type 32 Roadster.

The radiator badge is not a "B", but the stylized Delahaye badge of the
pre-WWI "Brass car" era.
Then the radiator itself is positively diagnostic.

Here is that badge & radiator so you can make your own comparison.

--
Regards,

Savageduck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delahaye-B.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	55308
Old April 26th 12, 10:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

On 2012-04-25 16:34:29 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-04-25 13:26:24 -0700, Netko said:

[...]

Brilliant stuff Savageduck, well done.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old April 28th 12, 10:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 03:45:01 +0100, Savageduck wrote
(in article 2012042519450116807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom):

Well, my guys at Ultimatecarpage seem to have come through. The vehicle
is apparently a custom coachwork, 1910 Delahaye Type 32 Roadster.

The radiator badge is not a "B", but the stylized Delahaye badge of the
pre-WWI "Brass car" era.
Then the radiator itself is positively diagnostic.

Here is that badge & radiator so you can make your own comparison.

My thanks to you and the people at Ultimatecarpage for taking the time to ID
the vehicle. Much appreciated.