A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

inReach Explorer vs SE vs SPOT and tracking interval?

Old December 17th 16, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default inReach Explorer vs SE vs SPOT and tracking interval?

I have been using SPOT for a number of years, and have found it spotty, frequently missing large gaps.

Considering going to inReach, and wondering the merits of Explorer vs SE, and what tracking intervals people are using with the newer devices.

Also, wondering about the number of missed hits with the inReach devices compared to Spot.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old December 17th 16, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Kevin,

I've got the older Pre - Explorer / SE black box InReach. Except for the first one that was defective, dropping out and stopping tracking by itself (they replaced it free), it's been rock solid.

I use it with both power plane and glider, the glider with a shorter tracking interval and power longer, as the track is most often straighter with a power plane so course line can be projected.

It's rock solid. I've had delays sending a message when I was camping in a steep canyon up in Idaho with limited view of the sky, had to wait about 5 minutes for a sat to come in view I guess.

I'm going to upgrade to a new InReach model, but trying to hold off as it's time for Garmin (who purchased InReach) to come out with a new model with a better display. If I was going to buy one now, it'd be the SE while waiting for the new models.

bumper
Old December 17th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

What would be great is a combo sat phone and tracker. Spot makes a sat phone, but when I went to sat phone store, they told me the sat phone is not also a spot tacker.

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:50:41 PM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
Kevin,

I've got the older Pre - Explorer / SE black box InReach. Except for the first one that was defective, dropping out and stopping tracking by itself (they replaced it free), it's been rock solid.

I use it with both power plane and glider, the glider with a shorter tracking interval and power longer, as the track is most often straighter with a power plane so course line can be projected.

It's rock solid. I've had delays sending a message when I was camping in a steep canyon up in Idaho with limited view of the sky, had to wait about 5 minutes for a sat to come in view I guess.

I'm going to upgrade to a new InReach model, but trying to hold off as it's time for Garmin (who purchased InReach) to come out with a new model with a better display. If I was going to buy one now, it'd be the SE while waiting for the new models.

bumper

Old December 17th 16, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 5:55:29 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I have been using SPOT for a number of years, and have found it spotty, frequently missing large gaps.

Considering going to inReach, and wondering the merits of Explorer vs SE, and what tracking intervals people are using with the newer devices.

Also, wondering about the number of missed hits with the inReach devices compared to Spot.

Thanks,

Kevin

Spot and inReach don't just work on different satellite constellations, they use a different messaging protocol. On Spot, messages are sent in the blind with some redundancy - but if it doesn't get to the satellite, the message is lost: t is one way communication. inReach sends a message (to the more reliable Iridium constellation) and then waits for confirmation back from the satellite. If it doesn't get confirmation it continues to send that message until confirmation is received. Perhaps not 100%, but far more reliable than sending in the blind. I have used mine in the glider and on the boat, all over the US, Canada, and out to the Exhumas, I don't think I have ever seen a dropped message.

There is a big difference in subscription cost going to shorter than 10 minute tracking intervals. Battery life isn't an issue on a glider flight, but messaging cost might be. I have the SE, as far as I can tell the Explorer offers some advantages if you are going to use it as a stand alone mapping device (hiking for example), but for messaging (including emergency use) it appears to offer nothing additional.
Old December 19th 16, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

Kevin