Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

Old May 12th 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

Wow! I was searching for the whereabouts of N2733U and found this! I attended Sky Life in the summer of 1980. I solo'd in 33U on August 10, 1980. I had never been in that 172 prior and had never flown a 172 at all. Back then, you booked a plane and a pilot. Knowing I was set to solo and nervous as heck, I booked the pilot (Lee Barnes) and forgot to book the plane. He yelled at me and announced we were taking the 172. It was the only time I ever flew that plane. We landed and with no warning, he hopped out and said take it. I did my solo pattern flight fortunately with no problem and flew a few more times.

I was never 'initiated' (some term!!!!). I was invited over to the house one night and something happened so I never went (I don't remember what but I ****ed Lee off in some manner). The guy who slept in the bunk above me went and and came back drunk and different...quieter. I never understood why and honestly never thought too much about it until reading this thread.

My heart mourns those that suffered from Lees abuse...and judging from this thread, there are plenty.

I am curious as to what ever happened to that old Cessna. BTW, it was a 1963. Black stripes if I remember correctly.
Old May 20th 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

I recall N2733U as a 1963 also. I soloed her on February 15, 1974. About 5 years ago I did a search through the FAA website and found the (then) current owner of 33U. I was able to contact him via email. 33U was dismantled and sitting in a barn I believe in upstate NY somewhere. He had plans to restore her. He sent me some pictures of the dismantled plane. I don't know if it got restored (I hope so). If I can find the pictures and other details info, I'll send it along.
Old August 7th 20, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
rod pombo

El miércoles, 20 de mayo de 2020 a las 2:54:31 UTC+2, escribió:
I recall N2733U as a 1963 also. I soloed her on February 15, 1974. About 5 years ago I did a search through the FAA website and found the (then) current owner of 33U. I was able to contact him via email. 33U was dismantled and sitting in a barn I believe in upstate NY somewhere. He had plans to restore her. He sent me some pictures of the dismantled plane. I don't know if it got restored (I hope so). If I can find the pictures and other details info, I'll send it along.

I was at Edimburg on the summer of 81 and 82 for summer camp, from Spain. I was 15 at the time. I remember I soloed and was made member of the club that summer. Same routine as commented above (strip naked and waiting with others on the room) at the time I thought nothing of it (just that americans were kind of weird :-)
I remember going to Ottawa with lee and some others in a big RV. I had a lot of fun and don't remember anything creepy about it. I too wonder what happened to the bar carved tables.
Reading the posts I believe I was lucky that nothing awful happened.
My sympathies for the victims. I am in shock!