Cat in plane

Old November 7th 05, 10:52 PM
DavidM

Default Cat in plane

soxinbox wrote:

Has any got any experience with taking a cat in an airplane. Do they freak
out from the loud noise. Do they have problems with the change in altitude?

In summer 2005, we bought two one-year-old cats from a breeder in
upstate New York and flew them back to Canada (in travel crates, tied
down in the luggage area). As with our dog, a Border Collie who flies
frequently, they just settled down for the flight.

I would never fly with a cat unless it was in a cage, though.

All the best,

David

Old November 7th 05, 11:13 PM
BillJ

soxinbox wrote:
Has any got any experience with taking a cat in an airplane. Do they freak
out from the loud noise. Do they have problems with the change in altitude?

We have high strung Siamese (2) and our son has 2. We exchange them back
and forth on a 1.5 hr flight often. Always in carriers. They usually
drool big time. Towel gets wet back there.

One time we had a 10 week old kitten on the flight and decided to let it
out of the cage for holding and petting. All fine UNTIL it looked out
the window. Went nuts, tail puffed up, and hissed and paced. After that
flight, it does fine with no interest in looking.

Always use a carrier. No altitude or noise effects (plane noise that is,
lots of cat noises). We cover the carriers up with old blankets unless
it is hot.
Old November 8th 05, 03:42 AM
George Patterson

Maule Driver wrote:
I interviewed my cat once, he said, ...

Well, I just interviewed mine. Mercury said "Cool, can I ride up front?" Vixen
said it's fine if she can sit in my lap the whole way. Jezebel wants to know
what a plane is, but she fell asleep during the explanation. Attila promptly hid
under the bed. Lucy decided to follow Attila. Meercat said "No way. I've got to
sit in the front window and stand guard for the Feline Opposable Thumb Project."

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 8th 05, 03:59 AM
Gene Seibel

This one did well on the flight, but has refused to come near me since.
http://pad39a.com/gene/cat.html
--
Gene Seibel
Confessions of a Pilot - http://pad39a.com/publishing/

Old November 8th 05, 05:08 AM
David Lesher

Does anyone else recall Ed Gauss's post about the hunter's dog????

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 8th 05, 05:16 AM
N93332

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ours hates just riding in a car.

See http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...d_sportka2.wmv

;-?

Old November 8th 05, 12:30 PM
Dan Luke

"Ben Hallert" wrote:

I believe it was Bax that wrote of the cat and duck method of
instrument
flying.

Let me guess, the cat provides artificial horizon (as the cat will
always be oriented feet down for landing)

Yep.

and the duck would provide compass inputs?

Nope. The duck is for getting you out of the clouds. Ducks don't fly
instruments, so if you find yourself in trouble in the clag, throw the
duck out of the airplane and follow him to VMC.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 8th 05, 05:44 PM
Michael

Has any got any experience with taking a cat in an airplane. Do they freak
out from the loud noise. Do they have problems with the change in altitude?

I've had a cat in the plane. It wasn't fun.

After a long day of flying, hanging out, eating burgers, and generally
having fun, it was time to depart for home. But as often happens on a
beautiful warm evening, I didn't get around to going until after dark.
I had flown the plane several times that day with no issues, so a
walkaround with a flashlight quickly convinced me that there were no
issues that would prevent me from making the 15 minute flight home.

I got in, strapped in, started up, did a quick runup and pulled out
onto the runway. The runway was grass with no markings, but it did
have lights. Off the end of the runway there were only open fields,
so there was something of a black hole effect, but the plane had a
full gyro panel and I was prepared for this.

I was not prepared for what happened at rotation. There was a sharp
pain in my left shoulder, and then a big fat fuzzy thing climbed into
my lap, completely blocking my view of the instrument panel. It was a
cat from one of the hangar homes.

I generally like cats, and really don't mind them climbing on my lap
to be petted under normal circumstances, but this was a little much.
Keeping one hand on the yoke, I used the other to try and shoo the cat
away. I didn't dare lower the nose - there were power lines that I
had to clear - so I stared off into the darkness trying to discern a
horizon. There were a few lights in the distance, and by holding
those in position relative to the bracing tubes in the cockpit, I
maintained some semblance of a wings-level climb attitude.

The cat, now throughly miffed, climbed off my lap and onto the dash.
This was an improvement of sorts - I could now see the instruments -
but a big chunk of my view forward was blocked and that would not do
for landing. The cat curled up in the corner of the windshield to
sulk.

More prodding got the feline to move, and as she tried to cross to the
other side of the dash, I grabbed the furball and threw her into the
back seat. All this took about a minute, I think, since I was now at
about 600 ft. I turned crosswind, flew a pattern, and landed without
further incident to an accompaniment of annoyed meowing from the back.
I then reached into the back, opened the rear door, and the stowaway
made her escape.

My second attempt at returning home was uneventful.

Michael

Old November 8th 05, 07:01 PM
Maule Driver

George Patterson wrote:
Well, I just interviewed mine. Mercury said "Cool, can I ride up front?"
Vixen said it's fine if she can sit in my lap the whole way. Jezebel
wants to know what a plane is, but she fell asleep during the
explanation. Attila promptly hid under the bed. Lucy decided to follow
Attila. Meercat said "No way. I've got to sit in the front window and
stand guard for the Feline Opposable Thumb Project."

Hee Hee!

I knew we shouldn't have removed our cat's needle and ball....