Your Chance to Design a Fly-In

Old November 12th 05, 01:35 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Your Chance to Design a Fly-In

Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.

See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* -- TIE
for the photos... It was awful! ;-)

This will be the second annual show, so we've got a basic template of events
that looks like this:

Saturday, 7 A-2P
- Fly-In/Drive-In Pancake Breakfast
- Static displays of aircraft (and all sorts of other "Big Kid Toys" like
exotic sports cars, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorhomes, boats, etc.
Many car dealers participated last year, naturally)
- Fly-overs by yet-to-be-named aircraft...
- Lunch served by (of course) the Johnson County Pork Producers
- Custom car show
- Lots of stuff for kids (inflatable thingies, etc.)
- Hangar Dance, 8P- ??

Sunday, 7 A-2P
- Fly-In/Drive-In Pancake Breakfast
- Static displays of aircraft (and all sorts of other "Big Kid Toys" like
exotic sports cars, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorhomes, boats, etc.)
- Fly-overs by yet-to-be-named aircraft...
- Lunch served by (of course) Johnson County Pork Producers

Show sponsorships are sold to anyone who wants to display their "big kid
toy." So, for example, if a Ferrari dealer wants to put one of his cars on
display, he will have to cough up a few bucks. All proceeds from the show
will go to the Iowa Children's Museum for the construction of an aviation
display! (Isn't that awesome? :-)

We were thinking our local EAA chapter could help construct a nice flight
simulator for the kids, but the museum has given us a HUGE area to fill, so
we could even display a full-sized aircraft along with it!

I'm looking for ideas! I've been to a zillion fly-ins, some terrific,
others lame, and I would sure like to hear from those who have done this
before, so I don't have to learn from my mistakes. What makes a great
fly-in? (Besides good weather, of course) I'm hoping we can get a bunch
of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 12th 05, 01:46 PM
Bob Noel

In article Hcmdf.324601$084.275113@attbi_s22,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.

See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* -- TIE
for the photos... It was awful! ;-)

where's the photo? How can we abuse you for wearing a tie if we can't see
the photo?

[snip]
All proceeds from the show
will go to the Iowa Children's Museum for the construction of an aviation
display! (Isn't that awesome? :-)

yes.

We were thinking our local EAA chapter could help construct a nice flight
simulator for the kids, but the museum has given us a HUGE area to fill, so
we could even display a full-sized aircraft along with it!

I'm looking for ideas!

Can you obtain/borrow/steal/beg some simulators? would it be possible
to setup a couple of pc-based sims? Do you have anyone local who knows
the ins & outs of Elite or X-plane or even (shudder) MSFS?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old November 12th 05, 02:33 PM
Darrel Toepfer

http://www.bigkidtoyshow.com/contact_us.htm
Old November 12th 05, 04:26 PM
Jim Burns

I'm hoping we can get a bunch
of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?

http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/index.shtml

The STE pilots association hired the Minnesota Wing to fly in their B25 a
couple years ago. I don't remember the cost, but it's not cheap.

Do you have any WWII or military hardware collectors near by? We have
several groups around here that collect trucks and heavy ground equipment.
Usually they are happy to bring their collections to local events.

What about the fire department? A couple big fire trucks, especially the
hook and ladders, are always popular with the kids.

Any hospital air lift helicopters available or willing to be on display?
They always seem to be at the fly-ins around Central Wis. Very willing to
help educate the public about what they do.

Local Police have a bomb squad? I've seen those guys at a few flyins
showing off their equipment.

Do you have a local crane rental company? I've been to a couple shows that
will have a big (well not tooo tall) crane, with a big flag flying from the
hook. Kids think anything huge is cool.

Local farm implement dealer willing to give tractor rides?

Jim

Old November 12th 05, 04:46 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Bob Noel wrote:

where's the photo? How can we abuse you for wearing a tie if we can't see
the photo?

http://www.bigkidtoyshow.com/contact_us.htm

I swear I tried that link earlier.

But anyway...

Jay: I tie AND a suitcoat? Have you no pride?

and a boring tie at that. No aviation theme on the tie? what
about an Alexis Park Inn tie?

jeez

Old November 12th 05, 05:28 PM
Doug

Rally and flour drop.

Food.

Live Band.

Parachuters.

Old November 12th 05, 05:52 PM
RST Engineering

Bach, Richard: "A Gift Of Wings", 'The Dream Fly-In' pp 266-272.

Jim

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Old November 12th 05, 06:27 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.

See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* --
TIE for the photos... It was awful! ;-)

"Gentlemen, it's photograph day, where are your scarves?"

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z5F02106B
(Same link a below ...wait for it)

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/July4thParade/Small%20Becca,%20Mary,%20Jay%20&%20Jade%20with%20s ign%20&%20Mustang%202%207-04.jpg

Montblack

Old November 12th 05, 07:42 PM
Jay Honeck

http://www.bigkidtoyshow.com/contact_us.htm

I swear I tried that link earlier.

Yes, I've been conned into doing the website, too. But that picture
has been "up" since last Thursday.

Jay: I tie AND a suitcoat? Have you no pride?

and a boring tie at that. No aviation theme on the tie? what
about an Alexis Park Inn tie?

I *almost* wore one of my "flying" ties -- but thought better of it.
After all, this solemn occasion was to mark the creation of a 501(3)c
non-profit organization that will (hopefully) become the core of MANY
airport-related activities. And, don't forget, we're supposed to be
*impressing* potential donors!

Although the picture-taking was pretty hilarious. It's amazing how
highly-educated, highly-motivated people can completely screw up using
a fully-automated digital camera.

But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
more than five seconds....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 12th 05, 11:02 PM
Jose

It's amazing how
highly-educated, highly-motivated people can completely screw up using
a fully-automated digital camera.

Actually, those are the easiest ones to screw up, because they insist
that they are smarter than you. My camera for instance insists on doing
all the focusing and light metering itself. IT's often wrong and takes
too long. I cannot set it to "ten feet, take the damned picture".

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.