Insurance ?

Old November 18th 05, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Insurance ?

I received my insurance update information today for my RV-6.

My policy is a "named pilot" only policy, which means Patty Wagstaff or Sean
Tucker wouldn't be insured on it unless they were approved by the insurance
company and added to the named pilot list. Fair enough - I'm the ONLY pilot
on my airplane.

The odd thing is that the underwriter wants me to apply for named pilot
status for any instructor I use. They want hours, time in type (and exactly
how many flight schools have RV-6's for instructors to build time in?),
tailwheel hours, etc. Makes absolutely no sense to me, because whoever is
in the right seat when I'm getting a BFR isn't a "pilot" as such. S/he
doesn't have access to throttle or brakes, and I usually don't even have a
stick installed on the right side.

So why does the insurance underwriter want to limit me to "named only"
instructors? The instructor can't be PIC and can't wreck the airplane, so
why does s/he need to be named?

Makes no &%$!! sense to me.

KB

Old November 18th 05, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Perhaps an experimental issue. My policy says named pilot (& BPPP - Beach
Profic. Pilot Prog.) THEN lists requires for additional pilots (500hrs, 100
time in type I think)

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

news

Old November 18th 05, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Get your BFR renewed before the old one runs out & you can be the PIC.
Insurance companies don't trust just any instructor in homebuilts
assuming you are not current.

Old November 18th 05, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...
Get your BFR renewed before the old one runs out & you can be the PIC.
Insurance companies don't trust just any instructor in homebuilts
assuming you are not current.

My next BFR isn't due for a year and a half. Besides that, even if I was
out of currency (or a complete incompetent), the world's greatest instructor
is gonna have a heck of a problem flying the airplane since s/he won't have
a full set of controls.

Old November 18th 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

A "BFR" is still flight instruction.

KG

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"kgruber" wrote in message
A "BFR" is still flight instruction.

KG

Which he can do in an airplane other than his which makes the insurance
requirement moot.

oups.com...

Old November 20th 05, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Which he can do in an airplane other than his...

Yeah, I just did my Flight Review last month in a rented plane from
FBO. Mine is an experimental. Nice to fly something else ocasionally
after flying mine for a long time. Besides I was doing repairs on mine
at the time.
SQ2000 canard: http://www.abri.com/sq29000