Flying Out of Waukesha, WI - Advice Please

Old October 16th 03, 04:39 PM
Harry Gordon

Default Flying Out of Waukesha, WI - Advice Please

Hey you all. I've gotten great input from this group before, thought I would
give you another chance :-).

Next week I will be visiting my kids in Waukesha, WI. I am planning on
renting a Cessna 172 from somewhere in that area in order to take them
flying. I know that the county airport (UES) is close by. But I don't know
anything about the FBOs there or rental rates, etc. If you can offer some
input that would be great.

In a previous posting, I got some great "tour" suggestions from Jay Honeck.
Also, is flying to OSH worth the effort now?

Thanks.

Harry
PP-ASEL
San Antonio, TX

Old October 16th 03, 05:11 PM
Jim

Definitely fly to OSH, just for the museum if for nothing else.
The FBO at UES is new and nice... almost too nice, some say it's lost some
of it's "homey" atmosphere. The tower controllers have a reputation, even
among the local FSDO inspectors, of being rather blunt. Don't let them get
to you. Can't help you on the rental info. All in all a nice airport.
Plenty of warbirds based there, I've seen more than one each time I've
visited UES. Flying to MKE today myself. Enjoy the great fall weather
we're having up here!
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old October 16th 03, 05:39 PM
Chris Hoffmann

http://www.waukeshaflyingservices.com/

Decent selection of 172's to choose from. West Bend has cheaper rates, but
that's a ways to go to save a few bucks. Timmerman's rates are probably
comparable.

I'd plug my flight school,. but we have no 172's.

As for the controllers, well I had to smile at that one. Yes, they can be
blunt at times, but most times they're a friendly bunch.

--
Chris Hoffmann
Student Pilot @ UES

Old October 16th 03, 07:32 PM
Harry Gordon

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I just sent an E-Mail to Waukesha Flying Services for
some information.

Harry

Old October 16th 03, 09:11 PM
Jack Allison

Harry, flying to OSH, IMHO, is definitely worth it...and I'm in
California....approx. 15 hrs. in a C-172. As my brother said, we could have
flown first class and stayed in the Hilton (presuming we could have got a
room and Jay didn't throw rocks through our window) for less, but this was
way more fun. So much fun that we're planning on attending next year.
Hopefully, in a faster plane but, at this point, if all I can get is the 172
I'm used to flying, I'd still do it.

One requirement if you fly to OSH next year is that you have to attend
whatever gathering happens at Jay & Mary's campsite. If you don't, we'll
hunt you down and TP your plane :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old October 16th 03, 09:13 PM
Jack Allison

Just realized you may have meant flying through OSH on your trip...my bad.
Still, attending "AirVenture" is worth it...

Old October 16th 03, 10:27 PM
Harry Gordon

Yes, Jack, you're right. I was referring to my trip next week. Going there
for the fly-in is only in my dreams at the moment :-). thanks.

Harry

Old October 17th 03, 04:33 AM
Jay Honeck

Yes, Jack, you're right. I was referring to my trip next week. Going there
for the fly-in is only in my dreams at the moment :-). thanks.

The EAA Museum and Pioneer Airport are actually BEST seen now, rather than
during Airventure. It's a short hop from Waukesha, and definitely worth the
trip!

While you're there tell the tower you want to park your plane at Friar
Tuck's, and enjoy a great lunch, too. And then, after lunch, you can step
outside into the beer garden, direct your gaze toward the tower, squint your
eyes and try to imagine 10,000 aircraft, parked wing-tip to wing-tip, as far
as the eye can see...

Ah, OSH 2004 can't be too far away! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 17th 03, 02:24 PM
Harry Gordon

Thanks, Jay. I just hope that I can work that out in our schedule. But I
would really love to fly there just to say "I landed at OSH" if nothing else
:-).

I heard on the weather last night that a cold front was coming into that
area next week. I don't need to give you a weather lesson to tell you what
that probably means :-(.

Harry