The Relief Band for Nausea Relief

Old December 19th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jodom

Default The Relief Band for Nausea Relief

I've reviewed the relief band in the context of my experience as a
glider pilot. I'd love to hear comments from other pilots about their
experiences.

http://joelodom.blogspot.com/2007/12...ea-relief.html

Old December 19th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

jodom wrote:
I've reviewed the relief band in the context of my experience as a
glider pilot. I'd love to hear comments from other pilots about their
experiences.

http://joelodom.blogspot.com/2007/12...ea-relief.html

Doesn't work for me. Since this whole business is really just
psychological, maybe I'm too skeptical for it to work. Luckily a friend
very graciously lent me his (his wife swears by it, just goes to show...)
and so I was only out a pair of batteries. If you can take one for a test
run then it's probably worth a shot.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old December 19th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

I know someone with a couple thousand hours in gliders, who admits to
getting airsick at the beginning of the season every year. He swears
by the accupressure bracelets (wristbands) and raspberry tablets.
Since I don't have a problem with motion sickness I do not know what
either does or why, but he says they work.

Old December 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I have used and recommended ginger as a nausea treatment. It's the
only one that has worked for me and several colleagues. Trust me,
it's one of the old wives remedies that really does work and has no
side effects.

Magnets, pressure devices and psychic bracelets all belong to the
"faith healer" category.

Mike
Old December 19th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_6_]

I'm one of the colleagues Mike referred to and I endorse using ginger. I
cut off a 1/4 slice of the root and put it in my cheek like chewing tobacco.
Stays with me the whole flight. Took a couple flights to get use to the
taste, but now I enjoy it.

Old December 20th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Works for me, though I rarely find that I need it while soaring. I do find
that it is only effective if the directions are followed precisely. It has
to be positioned so the "tingle" goes up the palm to the two middle fingers.

bumper

Old December 20th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 19 Dec, 14:50, jodom wrote:
I've reviewed the relief band in the context of my experience as a
glider pilot. I'd love to hear comments from other pilots about their
experiences.

I sail as well as flying, and am cursed with rotten sea-sickness. I
tried the pressure bands and they did have some effect, but the only
thing that works effectively for me is transdermal hyoscine -
Scopaderm patches. When they went off the market for a few years I had
to give up sailing.

I've never needed or tried them for flying though.

Ian

Old December 20th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

"Ian" wrote in message
On 19 Dec, 14:50, jodom wrote:
I've reviewed the relief band in the context of my experience as a
glider pilot. I'd love to hear comments from other pilots about their
experiences.

I sail as well as flying, and am cursed with rotten sea-sickness. I
tried the pressure bands and they did have some effect, but the only
thing that works effectively for me is transdermal hyoscine -
Scopaderm patches. When they went off the market for a few years I had
to give up sailing.

I've never needed or tried them for flying though.

Ian

Would suggest that being PIC and the potential effects of Scopolamine/
Hyocyamine are not compatible. Effects are subtle and variable from time to
time as well as from individual to individual.

Not at all benign for flying--or driving, or running dangerous machinery.

Hartley Falbaum

Old December 20th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 20 Dec, 16:04, "HL Falbaum" wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

On 19 Dec, 14:50, jodom wrote:
I've reviewed the relief band in the context of my experience as a
glider pilot. I'd love to hear comments from other pilots about their
experiences.

I sail as well as flying, and am cursed with rotten sea-sickness. I
tried the pressure bands and they did have some effect, but the only
thing that works effectively for me is transdermal hyoscine -
Scopaderm patches. When they went off the market for a few years I had
to give up sailing.

I've never needed or tried them for flying though.

Would suggest that being PIC and the potential effects of Scopolamine/
Hyocyamine are not compatible. Effects are subtle and variable from time to
time as well as from individual to individual.

Not at all benign for flying--or driving, or running dangerous machinery.

I think the "potential" bit is important. It would be daft to go
flying without knowing the effects of this - or any - medication.
However, having had dozens of those little patches behind my ears for,
cumulatively, months of my life, I am happy with them and quite
confident that I could fly or drive with them. The same may not go for
others, of course.

They take 24 hours to get up to full power anyway, so anyone trying
them should have reasonable warning of side effects.

In flight air-sickness would, I suspect, be far more dangerous.

Ian

Old December 20th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

On Dec 20, 4:04 pm, "HL Falbaum" wrote:
Would suggest that being PIC and the potential effects of Scopolamine/
Hyocyamine are not compatible. Effects are subtle and variable from time to
time as well as from individual to individual.

Test before use - i.e., take a few times when you're *not* flying or
driving to see if it has any effect. Scopolamine only produces
tiredness in less than 20% of subjects (do a pubmed search). If it
*does* make you tired, there are alternatives that are less effective
for reducing sickness but also have a lower rate of inducing
tiredness. I can't recall the exact drugs off the top of my head but
again a pubmed or Cochrane search should find the answer.

Also agree with Ian - being perhaps a little tired (and who hasn't
flown a bit tired, especially towards the end of a long flight?) is
safer than vomiting all over the controls! The obvious rejoinder is
not to fly at all, but that may not be acceptable to the person
concerned.

BTW Scopolamine is also widely used by astronauts, many of whom (think
it's something like half) suffer from space sickness. You don't know
if you're susceptible until you're in zero G for some time, so it's
impossible to know if an individual is going to suffer before flight.
Both NASA and the Russians seem happy for their people to be fully
dosed up on scopolamine during missions!

Dan

Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Owning 67 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane relief Montblack Piloting 0 September 6th 05 06:53 AM
Hurricane relief Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 16 September 5th 05 05:20 PM
Hurricane relief [email protected] Owning 2 September 5th 05 09:14 AM
Hurricane relief [email protected] Piloting 0 September 5th 05 01:02 AM