1000km flights

Old January 7th 18, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1000km flights

Uys Jonker's 1250km FAI triangle at 157km/h - new world record? Looks like they were trying to show what the JS3 is really capable of
Old January 7th 18, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Trying? 4 X 1250km triangles. All 15m.
Old January 7th 18, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

They were actually flying 18m - and looks like all 4 could have broken the previous 1250km record
Old January 7th 18, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 08:26 07 January 2018, wrote:
Trying? 4 X 1250km triangles. All 15m.

They where flying 18m according to the Jonkers FB page -just OLC
hasn't adjusted. Pieter Nouwens looks like he'll be the new record
holder.

https://www.facebook.com/jonkersailp...250898130668.1
38002.188010050668/10155333284710669/?type=3&theater

Old January 7th 18, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In 1983 I called a 509.36 mile task for 24 Open Class pilots, 18 completed and 5 landed within the area.
Went to Ravendale, Mill City, Austin and return as I remember. Flying my 1000K from Parowan on June 19, took off at 10:20 and landed at 7:20.

gkemp
Old January 9th 18, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A record is "broken" if it´s ratified by the FAI!

The only one with a "proper" flight declaration in his flight-recorder is Oscar Goudrian!

We will see, who is sending his "Preliminary Notifcation" to the FAI...
Old January 9th 18, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A record is "broken" if it´s ratified by the FAI!

The only one with a "proper" flight declaration in his flight-recorder is Oscar Goudriaan!

We will see, who is sending his "Preliminary Notifcation" to the FAI...
Old January 9th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In September last year, Attie and Uys Jonker presented the SAIMechE John Orr Lecture at the University of the Wi****ersrand. They spoke about the dream of building the best glider in the world, the development of the JS1 and then the development of the JS3 and getting it to Australia in time for the World Champs a year ago. The lecture was recorded and is still available to view at the following link: http://tinyurl.com/johnorr2017

It's well worth watching. The first hour or so is Uys talking about the JS1 and the second hour is Professor Attie talking about the design of the JS3, and the leaps they have made in utilising computational fluid dynamics in the design. The attention to detail in the development is incredible and goes a long way in understanding why the JS3 is performing the way it is. The audience was predominantly Mechanical Engineers who sat enthralled for the entire 2 hours.
Old January 9th 18, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That was brilliant, thanks for posting Clint.

CJ
Old January 9th 18, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Pleasure. Even my non-engineer/non-glider pilot wife enjoyed the talk - just their knowledge and passion is so engaging.

1000km in 1-26 [email protected] Soaring 6 April 19th 16 09:49 PM
1-26 1000km attempt Tony[_5_] Soaring 13 April 26th 14 07:37 PM
1000km in a 1-26 Tony[_5_] Soaring 8 June 29th 12 03:04 PM
Check out Ron Tabery's 1000km WR Soaring 3 August 12th 09 02:41 AM
Narromine FAI 750 Km and 1000KM in Australia Mal Soaring 1 November 2nd 04 05:08 AM