ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old February 13th 18, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 6:46:35 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 9:33:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You can also search them for a keyword. You can't do that with a paper manual.

You are kidding aren't you? The most index will tell you is a page number.. With search you can quickly get to the exact place you want without flipping pages and reading a bunch of staff you don't need to read. You can also search for a phrase.

Andrzej, I wasn't kidding. In my personal opinion, a paper index is fine, for a properly written manual. For the chaotic mess that I consider the LXNav manual to be, I suspect hardly anything will help. As I said, I felt forced to make my own manual, one quick and easy to use.
Old February 13th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

FWIW - I have used both the LX9000 manual and the S8 manual with no prior knowledge of the instrument.

I haven't had any problems getting the info I need from the PDF version. For those things I wanted to have available going forward, I printed out those few sections. I do use the search function extensively.

I agree that the S8 manuals can be a bit behind. New software / firmware added functionality that wasn't reflected in the manuals until a later time.

However, I found the internal menus on the instrument itself enough to figure out what I needed.

YMMV -

Lou
Old February 13th 18, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Just a bit of confusion here. LXNav doesn't make the LX9xxx flight computer. That is made by LX Navigation. Formally one company now two and they don't share the same products (nor manuals).
Old February 13th 18, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

LXNAV does make the LX90x0 and LX80x0. LX Navigation makes the Zeus and Era and Colibri products.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________________

Old February 13th 18, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't find the LX 8/9000 manual confusing and why on earth print it out? I have it on my laptop, my phone and on my LX9000 SD card - although the latter is a last resort as the 9000 pdf reader is slow.

Old February 13th 18, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 3:15:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I don't find the LX 8/9000 manual confusing and why on earth print it out? I have it on my laptop, my phone and on my LX9000 SD card - although the latter is a last resort as the 9000 pdf reader is slow.

I find the manual very comprehensive. Over the last 5 years or so I had to ask LXNav 2 questions, the rest was in the manual. I actually find LXNav easy to use, not as easy as ClearNav but I hardly need a manual. Even the most complex functions like configuring the flap position sensor I was able to figure out without any issues. Maybe I have an easier time because I work in IT.

Andrzej
Old February 22nd 18, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:31:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Gary is absolutely correct. The proof is in seeing progress and there has not been much for people outside of our team working at ClearNav to see, but we have been working busily, and over the next few months you'll start to see more things happening. We've have not done the best job at communicating what is going on, so to give some idea what we have been up to, we have....

Moved final assembly manufacturing to Williams, California, including training manufacturing staff
Shipping new products and conducting repairs/service for current customers
Made multiple changes to improve manufacturability
Recently manufactured a production run of ClearNav Air Data Computers for our variometers and a new run of nexus boards came out of manufacturing last week
Purchased and installed a new laser cutter and 3D printer to improve manufacturing (and packaging and prototyping)
3D scanned parts, producing 3D CAD models and test pieces

And of course software is the heart of everything, and we have rejuvenated that work, there is ongoing software development happening:
ClearNav Variometer software development by David Masson
ClearNav Navigator software development by Chip Garner and Andy Hogben.

We are working on cleaning up ClearNav marketing and improving the outdated website.

We've done a lot of work to understand the glider computer business. The most important thing that we can do is make sure ClearNav is successful so it is around for many years to come. We are well aware of the history with Cambridge Aero, and being a pioneer, even one as good as Cambridge is not enough. We are proud to be associated with the legacy of Cambridge Aero Instruments. We purchased ClearNav exactly because we believe in the products and their design philosophy want to see them have a long successful future.

We are especially proud of our loyal customer base. It is heartening to know that at least 7 of the top ten contestants of the US 18m nationals choose to fly with Clear Nav .

We do enjoy user feedback, please post on the ClearNav forum at ClearNav..net your suggestions.

Please come and talk with us at our booth at the SSA Convention in Reno.

Rex Mayes
ClearNav

Something that would make the CN totally Kickass would be a touch screen. To my knowledge Air Avionics is the only panel mount computer to utilize this. Has Touch Screen been considered for the CN?
Kirk
Old February 22nd 18, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As I recall, touch screen was considered by ClearNav and rejected due to
the sometimes difficulty of hitting a target with your finger in
turbulence.Â* The remote which comes as part of the kit works extremely
well.Â* The stick grip with buttons is even better, but pricey.Â* Try it,
you'll like it!

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 22nd 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Something that would be fantastic for a CN2 would be the ability to toggle back and forth from the Clearnav software and ForeFlight...
Old February 22nd 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I am of the opinion that a well designed stick controller is more valuable than touch screen. I fly with an LX and can operate computer and the associated vario from stick alone.