SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

Old January 30th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

The SOARING SAFETY FOUNDATION (SSF) invites you to participate in our training and safety presentations during the Soaring Society of America Convention at the Reno Convention Center, next to the Atlantis Hotel, February 28 through March 3, 2018.

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Seminar officially kicks off your SSA Convention on Wednesday evening (FEB 26) at 6 PM in the Atlantis Resort Hotel Grand ballroom.
The SSF seminar will qualify for your FAA Safety Team "Wings" credit and it is FREE. Register for the FAASTeam "Wings" program at www.faasafety.gov

Register for the SSA Convention now -- see your January issue of SOARING.
Information on the special SSA room rate is at www.ssa.org

The SSF FIRC. The SSF invites you to enroll in the Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) prior to the convention on FEB 27 and 28 (Tuesday & Wednesday.) Flight instructors must renew their certificate every 24 months and this FAA approved, glider-specific course is an ideal method to renew if your certificate is still current. Two days of lively classroom discussions and interesting presentations (not lectures) will recharge your skills and increase your awareness of contemporary teaching methods.

Non-instructors and CFI wannabes are welcome to register for the FIRC.
See your January issue of SOARING to register for the SSF FIRC.

Not coming to Reno? Several SSF Flight Instructor Refresher Courses (FIRC's) are held around the USA each year BY INVITATION of SSA members, club instructors, SSA State Governors, SSA Directors. That's basically the "chain of command" if you want to host a SSF FIRC. Set up a weekend or see the current FIRC schedule and locations at www.soaringsafety.org

Soaring Site Surveys this year are also by invitation only, confidential and free to clubs.
Contact for a brochure and to discuss details and dates..

Not coming to Reno? You might reconsider as the SSA Convention is now only held every two years. (Don't get me started -- as a SSA Director I voted to keep the traditional annual convention.) Come for the seminars, the displays of new and vintage sailplanes, winches and trailers. Meet the vendors of instruments and your essential soaring gear and fly the Condor simulator. Enjoy the spontaneous gatherings of kindred spirits, the breakfast and lunch events and the SSA banquet on Saturday night.

My favorite aspect is personally meeting our mentors and the Legends of Soaring, along with making new friends and sharing our passion for soaring with old pals. Can't miss it!

To register go to
www.ssa.org or your January issue of SOARING magazine.

I'll see you there.

Burt Compton, Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation, the
Training and Safety arm of the Soaring Society of America.
www.soaringsafety.org
Old February 7th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Seminar officially kicks off your SSA Convention on Wednesday evening (FEB 26) at 6 PM in the Atlantis Resort Hotel Grand ballroom.
The SSF seminar will qualify for your FAA Safety Team "Wings" credit and it is FREE. Register for the FAASTeam "Wings" program at www.faasafety.gov

Go to this link and register (free) for the Wednesday evening February 28, 2018 Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar at Reno to earn your FAA WINGS credit:

https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/even...EventList.aspx

Old February 14th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Greetings from Marfa, Texas! I’m going to the SSA Convention at Reno FEB 27 - MAR 3.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends, along with being in the presence of many legends of soaring.

Early Birds: Please attend the Wednesday, FEB 28, Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar at 6:00 PM in the Atlantis Hotel Grand ballroom. Our SSF Seminar is traditionally the opening event of the SSA Convention on that Wednesday evening, 6PM to 9PM, and it is free.

I’ve invited a fine set of presenters for that evening including Henrik Swensson from Sweden, Bob Wander, Pat Costello, along with SSF Trustees Rich Carlson, Steve Dee, Ron Ridenour and myself.

I’ve also arranged to have our SSF Seminar qualified for the FAA WINGS credits with the local FSDO.
Register for free at www.faasafety.gov
Click on Activities, Seminars & Webinars at the upper left of the page.
This takes you to
https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/events/EventList.aspx
Type the “select number” WP1180903

The Soaring Safety Foundation booth will be in the Reno-Soarks Convention Center next to the Atlantis hotel. On the right just after you enter the hall, between Costello Insurance and the SeeYou booths.

To register for the SSA Convention, go to www.ssa.org

I'll see you there!

Burt
Trustee, Soaring Safety Foundation
Marfa, Texas

Old February 24th 18, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

This Wednesday, FEB 28 at the SSA Convention in Reno, the Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar traditionally opens our convention with an entertaining and informative group of presenters,
author Bob Wander, Ron Ridenour, Rich Carlson, Pat Costello, Steve Dee on self-launch sailplanes and motorgliders, Burt Compton, and our special guest, Henrik Swensson from the Swedish Soaring Federation.

6 to 9 PM in the Grand Ballroom of the Atlantis Hotel.
3800 South Virginia Street, Reno, NV

Earn FAA "Wings" credits by registering in advance at:
https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/even...aspx?eid=80903

See you there!

Old March 1st 18, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Last night our Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar saw over 200 seats filled and Standing Room Only in the ballroom of the Atlantis Hotel in Reno, NV. Our speakers were entertaining and informative with excellent powerpoint presentations of new topics, not the same old safety stuff.

The convention hall opens this morning. The first sailplane you encounter is the marvelous Perlan high altitude ship, then more than 25 modern and vintage sailplanes across the expansive hall. 60 vendors of sailplane equipment, books, artifacts and more are on the edges around the display hall.

I've seen many old friends just in the first day and made several new friends. Wow, I love these conventions!

If you're not here, you're missing the gathering of our tribe!

Our next SSA convention is in two years (no longer the traditional annual gathering.) If you want to go back to an annual convention, speak to your SSA Regional Director.

Burt Compton, Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation, Booth # 63

V3 at the 2018 convention? SF Soaring 18 October 25th 17 03:21 PM
Reno SSA Convention speakers wanted JayM Soaring 5 October 9th 17 06:45 PM
SSA Convention at Reno, February 26 thru March 1 Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas Soaring 0 March 2nd 14 06:40 PM
SSA Convention at Reno, February 26 thru March 1 Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas Soaring 5 February 27th 14 04:49 PM
Reno Convention attendee's [email protected] Soaring 0 January 25th 12 10:31 PM