Wedekind Sleeve Source?

Old March 5th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vernon Brown

Default Wedekind Sleeve Source?

Tango Eight, the wire clips in your pictures are ok, but you still have to
insert them in a hole in the L'Hotellie, one advantage with your clips is
not having to remove the L'Hotellier when you originally install them.

The Wedekind sleeves is pulled back against its spring, then when the rod
is connected the sleeve is released, the sleeve under its spring tension
slides over the L'Hotellier, locking it in place.
To disconnect the control, the sleeve is pulled clear of L'Hotellier, the
L'Hotellier can then be disengaged.
I had Wedekind on my Cirrus, they are excellent, loved them.
Picture of Wedekind, http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedekind/

At 16:08 05 March 2016, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 10:22:31 AM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
My first Pegasus had L'Hotellier fittings with safety pins, and the

small=
inspection hole was barely large enough for my forearm, so everything

was
=
by feel. I hated it. My second Pegasus had the Wedekind sleeves, and are
wo=
rth every penny you might spend. Control hookup went from ten minutes and
m=
uch cursing to about ten seconds.

Perhaps we aren't talking about the same kinds of clips. I hook up,
safety=
and physically test six connections on my ASW-20B with one hand, by

feel,
=
in about 90 seconds. Then I inspect by eye which takes about ten more.
If=
the clips are properly installed and tweaked for proper fit, they more

or
=
less fall into place. =20

Here's a photo of a similar installation on a 20A.
http://tinyurl.com/zdop=
rgz

Here are the clips before installation:
http://tinyurl.com/zbjf6nh

Those may be home made (but as far as I know you can also buy from Shempp
H=
irth).

None of this is to suggest that Wedekind sleeves aren't up to the job or
th=
at installing them was a bad idea. I simply wanted to point out that
there=
is a good/fast/cheap option for those so inclined.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Old March 5th 16, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vernon Brown[_2_]

Old March 6th 16, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I assembled my ASW-20B more than 300 times when I owned it and used standard aircraft safety pins. Never dropped one and it never took me more than a minute or two. :-)

5Z

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 11:08:52 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:
Sheesh. Captive safety clips for the win. Make 'em yourself or buy from Schempp Hirth. Absolutely zero reason for those over engineered sleeves.

Take the thousand dollars (?) or so you save and put it to a new vario. Email me and I can help you with that too :-).

Evan Ludeman / T8

Old March 6th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 7:06:17 PM UTC-5, ZP wrote:
Kevin, checking in to see if you ever installed them. This is still something I'm considering.

Thanks.
-Dirk

Not yet. I got the parts and looked over everything carefully, but my IA has been tied up working on a power plane that has been rode hard and put up wet.

In looking things over, I have decided to do the Wedikind Sleeves on the ailerons, and will do the Unreling on the dive brakes. The Ailerons are easier on the DG-400, they unscrew, where the dive brakes are riveted and GLUED, making it very difficult if not impossible to get them apart without damage.

I checked on the price of getting new push rods and Holellier, but is was going to be ridiculous.

I will have two Wedekind sleeves for sale that will fit the DG-400 after I get mine installed.

Kevin
Old March 6th 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

Vernon and 5Z,

The safety pins I was referring to look like this. http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedeki.../safetypin.jpg. While mine were tied to something to prevent loosing them in the belly of the beast, they were a bear for me to install just by feel (at least for my level of dexterity).

The safety pins that you show on your ASW-20's might be a different solution to the issue covered in the AD. http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/5000/5700/5722/ad97-08-06_r1.pdf. Never seen them before. Were they home made? From Schleicher? Someone else?

Also, maybe the location of your fittings are more accessible in the 20. On the DG's two of the fittings are easy to get to (through a small white hole while looking into darkness against bright sunlight) while two of the fittings are totally buried, invisible, and are difficult to get to at the best of times.

I raise a glass to my next ship that will have automatic hookups!

My $0.02

- John

Old March 6th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vernon Brown

John, your links don’t work, cant see the photos.
Vernon

At 16:17 06 March 2016, Oscar-Hotel-Mike wrote:
Vernon and 5Z,

The safety pins I was referring to look like this.
http://aviation.derosaw=
eb.net/wedekind/documentation/safetypin.jpg. While mine were tied to
somet=
hing to prevent loosing them in the belly of the beast, they were a bear
fo=
r me to install just by feel (at least for my level of dexterity). =20

The safety pins that you show on your ASW-20's might be a different
solutio=
n to the issue covered in the AD.
http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/5000/5700/5722/ad9=
7-08-06_r1.pdf. Never seen them before. Were they home made? From
Schleic=
her? Someone else? =20

Also, maybe the location of your fittings are more accessible in the 20.
O=
n the DG's two of the fittings are easy to get to (through a small white
ho=
le while looking into darkness against bright sunlight) while two of the
fi=
ttings are totally buried, invisible, and are difficult to get to at the
be=
st of times.

I raise a glass to my next ship that will have automatic hookups! =20

My $0.02

- John=20

=20

Old March 6th 16, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 12:30:08 PM UTC-5, Vernon Brown wrote:
[...]

They both just worked for me.

Older Windows & Chrome browser.

Old March 7th 16, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Kevin, I'll buy the other 2 sleeves from you (for a DG202).

Thanks.
-Dirk
Old March 7th 16, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le dimanche 6 mars 2016 16:27:13 UTC+1, a écrit*:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 7:06:17 PM UTC-5, ZP wrote:
Kevin, checking in to see if you ever installed them. This is still something I'm considering.

Thanks.
-Dirk

Not yet. I got the parts and looked over everything carefully, but my IA has been tied up working on a power plane that has been rode hard and put up wet.

In looking things over, I have decided to do the Wedikind Sleeves on the ailerons, and will do the Unreling on the dive brakes. The Ailerons are easier on the DG-400, they unscrew, where the dive brakes are riveted and GLUED, making it very difficult if not impossible to get them apart without damage.

The glue is Araldit. If you heat it up to around 100°C, it will come apart easily.