Announcing WingX for the Pocket PC

Old August 21st 03, 04:29 PM
Hilton Software LLC

Default Announcing WingX for the Pocket PC

Hi everyone,

Hilton Software has spent over a year developing WingX. Earlier this week,
we announced general availability of the product.

"WingX is a Microsoft Pocket PC application designed by pilots for pilots.
WingX was designed from the ground up using the latest .NET technology from
Microsoft to create an application that pilots could use while down at the
airport and away from their desktop PC at home."

Weight and Balance, Route Planning, Sunrise and Sunset information, E6B
calculations, and the new Expiration page are included. FAA and Model
Databases can be downloaded wireless or by connecting your Pocket PC to your
PC.

Graphical Weight and Balance calculations are easy with pre-defined aircraft
models. WingX knows about Piper Warriors, Cessna 172s, Sundowners,
Schweizers, and more. Route Planning uses the current FAA database for
airports and VORs.

Go to http://www.hiltonsoftware.com and download WingX. We're hoping you
will like it and register with Hilton Software.

Thank you,

Hilton
Hilton Software LLC
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com

Old August 21st 03, 04:54 PM
bob zee

"WingX is a Microsoft Pocket PC application designed by pilots for pilots.
WingX was designed from the ground up using the latest .NET technology

from
Microsoft to create an application that pilots could use while down at the
airport and away from their desktop PC at home."

Thank you,

Hilton
Hilton Software LLC
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com

woo-hoo! great! that is exactly what we need! more apps running on
micro$oft crap!!!
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39115732,00.htm
just a little sample, another example
--
bob z.
"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things

Old August 21st 03, 04:57 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Just my two cents (and 'no' I am not an employee or affiliate of
HiltonSoftware grin)...

I've been checking out the program and have been more than pleased with its'
intelligent and thoughtful layout. The design of the program's display
interface is well-reasoned and most intuitive. One would be hard-pressed to
find a similar program that provides more features with out-of-the-box
functionality right from the point where you press the 'on' button on your
handheld device (PocketPC).

I'm running it on a Dell Axim with a 300Mhz Intel x-scale processor with
PocketPC 2003 and most pleased!

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com
ink.net...

Old August 21st 03, 05:49 PM
Dave Allan

Sorry to be boring here but I thought that I should
point this out. As well as being a glider pilot I am
also a scientist. There is already windows software out
there which is extremely popular in the structural
chemistry/physics community called WinGX. An unfortunate coincidence.
Just type WinGX into google and you'll get:-http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~louis/software/wingx/all the bestDave At 16:42 21 August 2003, Cecil E. Chapman wrote:Just my two cents (and 'no' I am not an employee or
affiliate ofHiltonSoftware )...I've been checking out the program and have been more
than pleased with its'intelligent and thoughtful layout. The design of the
program's displayinterface is well-reasoned and most intuitive. One
would be hard-pressed tofind a similar program that provides more features
with out-of-the-boxfunctionality right from the point where you press
the 'on' button on yourhandheld device (PocketPC).I'm running it on a Dell Axim with a 300Mhz Intel x-scale
processor withPocketPC 2003 and most pleased!-- -- Good Flights!Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.PP-ASEL'We who fly do so for the love of flying.We are alive in the air with this miraclethat lies in our hands and beneath our feet'- Cecil Day Lewis-My personal adventures as a student pilotand after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com'Hilton Software LLC' wrote in s.earthlink.net... Hi everyone, Hilton Software has spent over a year developing WingX.
We're hoping you will like it and register with Hilton Software. Thank you, Hilton Hilton Software LLC http://www.hiltonsoftware.com

Old August 21st 03, 08:29 PM
John T

"JerryK" wrote in message

Unfortunately it is built on the compact framework....

I'm curious: Why is that unfortunate?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old August 21st 03, 10:26 PM
John T

"JerryK" wrote in message

There are many memory leaks and other issue with the CF. Check the
newsgroup microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework for the
details. The CF is getting better, but still has a ways to go.

I've been following that group for a few months, but I wouldn't go so far as
to say it's "unfortunate" a developer chose to use the CF. Most of the
memory issues (many reports of "leaks" are not actual leaks) I've seen have
been due to either custom unmanaged code or poor resource management
(usually an indication of poor development habits gained in desktop
development).

I will grant you that the CF needs to improve, though. The lack of tooltips
and context-sensitive help, for instance, are quite significant since they
are requirements for the logo program. Therefore, any CF-based app cannot
be certified on the PocketPC/Windows Mobile platform.

Old August 21st 03, 10:52 PM
JerryK

I just think it will take time to shake out .Net in general, and CF in
particular. I agree that many of the memory issue are the results of poor
resource management. Unfortunately an environment with a GC tends to let
programmers thing they can forget about explicitly managing resources.

I am still using the older C++ compilers for my PPC work. Still works,
still requires a lot of steps, but the code it tight and runs very fast.
What sort of dev environment are you using?

jerry

"John T" wrote in message
ws.com...

Old August 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
John T

"JerryK" wrote in message

I am still using the older C++ compilers for my PPC work. Still
works,
still requires a lot of steps, but the code it tight and runs very
fast.
What sort of dev environment are you using?

Has been eVB/C, but I'm moving to CF for compatibility with desktop stuff.
We'll see how it pans out. For the most part, C#/CF is far superior to the
eVB stuff I had but, as you say, isn't quite as tight and speedy as a
well-written C++ app.

--

Old August 22nd 03, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Cecil,

haven't tried it yet (but I will). Just noted the price, which seems
very high. There is a handful of 20-$-apps out there which will do much
of the same. Not to mention Copilot for the Palm, which is free.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)