Announcing WingX for the Pocket PC

Old August 22nd 03, 05:21 PM
JerryK

I agree this is probably not the right place. But I was curious if you have
been running any of the profilers like .Net Memory Profiler or Application
profiler against your app. I have done this wit several apps and was
suprised about lingering references.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:54 PM
Peter Duniho

"JerryK" wrote in message
I agree this is probably not the right place. But I was curious if you

have
been running any of the profilers like .Net Memory Profiler or Application
profiler against your app. I have done this wit several apps and was
suprised about lingering references.

Keep in mind that none of those profilers are 100% accurate. False
positives are a fact of life with them.

Old August 22nd 03, 11:45 PM
JerryK

Keep in mind that none of those profilers are 100% accurate. False
positives are a fact of life with them.

Agreed. But, when you invoke the same object 3 times and the reference
count climbs by 3 that is telling you something.

Old August 26th 03, 10:27 AM
Hilton Software

JerryK wrote:
I agree this is probably not the right place. But I was curious if you

have
been running any of the profilers like .Net Memory Profiler or Application
profiler against your app. I have done this wit several apps and was
suprised about lingering references.

You probably know this, but... The Garbage Collector (GC) in languages like
C# and Java are optimized to spend as little time as possible freeing
objects. One such optimization is to not free an object unless the memory
it occupies is required; i.e. why spend time freeing 10K worth of objects if
you have 500M free? Therefore, it's almost safe to say that in a VM you
will have unreferenced objects. That is not a leak, the GC will reclaim
that memory if/when if needs to.

FYI: I read the Compact Framework newsgroups everyday and I don't believe I
have seen any leaks as a result of the Microsoft Virtual Machine. As you
mention, memory can be leaked inside a badly written app. WingX is 100%
pure C#, and we are quite confident about its 'long-term' behavior.

Thanks,

Support Team
Hilton Software LLC
Makers of WingX Aviation Software
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com

Old September 2nd 03, 10:12 AM
Hilton Software

Hi,

Hilton Software is pleased to announce that Version 1.1.1 is now
downloadable via http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/Download.html. This latest
version builds on the already comprehensive feature set of WingX by adding
Wind Calculations to the route planning. True Course (TC), Wind Correction
Angle (WCA), True Heading (TH), and Magnetic Heading (MH) are now displayed
per leg. In addition, the Average Ground Speed is shown along with the wind
effect; e.g. "0:12 faster". By combining wind information with a current
FAA database of airports, VORs, and NDBs, together with very easy-to-use
popup menus, route planning can be completed in a a matter of seconds.

WingX features currently include comprehensive weight and balance
calculations, sunrise/sunset information for any airport, expiration of
medicals, BFRs, etc, and much more. The Model Database has also been
updated to include numerous gliders. We've also added the Piper Tomahawk
and others to the growing list of supported aircraft models.

Try our free demo at http://www.hiltonsoftware.com