Handheld alternative to installed radio

Old September 1st 03, 05:03 PM
DGRTEK

Default Handheld alternative to installed radio

Simply explained, I connected my ICOM A5 with the headset adapter plug to a
Powered Radio Shack 8 ohm speaker, plugged in a Telex Microphone, turned down
the Side Tone function and powered the set up with the ships 12 volt. I hook
into the ships antenna.

Since I fly different club ships, this is portable, and I can use my own
antenna if the ship doesn't have one. I have found this set up to be very easy
to use, and it really works well.

I imagine that most handhelds will have the same good results.
When I'm not in the ship, this becomes a "Base Station" for the "deck"

If anyone needs the specifics on the parts...just email me. FWIW, ICOM tech
support was basically useless in helping me part this together.

Douglas

Old September 1st 03, 06:15 PM
Vaughn

"DGRTEK" wrote in message
Simply explained, I connected my ICOM A5 with the headset adapter plug to

Powered Radio Shack 8 ohm speaker, plugged in a Telex Microphone, turned

down
the Side Tone function and powered the set up with the ships 12 volt. I

hook
into the ships antenna.

Sounds like a lot of wires and cables for something that is supposed to
be so simple. I have a tiny Yaesu portable that I simply hang around my
neck on a lanyard. It is always right there where I need it. The battery
easily lasts all day and is not dependent on the ship's battery.

I CFIG a lot and I prefer my student to also have a portable. If we
keep them both at a reasonable volume, feedback when transmitting is not a
problem. This setup gives me a chance to hear what my student is saying,
make sure that the student can hear everything on the radio, and allows me
full access to jump in with any corrections or additions.

Vaughn

Old September 1st 03, 07:16 PM
DGRTEK

Sounds like a lot of wires and cables for something that is supposed to
be so simple.

Once you get through the wiring it is a very simple set up. I find it hard to
hear well using just the handheld in a noisy cockpit, and would prefer to not
use a headset.

I tucked the whole mess into a project box and now the only clutter is the
microphone cord!

I think it's great that you encourage students to carry a handheld. More
pilots should.

Douglas