Soaring simulations

Old January 31st 04, 11:07 AM
Mike Lindsay

Default Soaring simulations

Is anyone using SFS 4 during these long winter unflyable days?

Our former CFI recommended it as partial substitute.
And does anyone know of any source of non German scenery? Or non German
user groups come to that?
--
Mike Lindsay
Old January 31st 04, 02:31 PM
Marc Till

For the time being, the scenery is fixed.
There are some discussions in English in the SFS Forum
http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/wwwt...&Board=SFSAllg
See the FAQ in the first thread on the forum (sticky)

Fly safely.

Marc Till

Old January 31st 04, 02:38 PM
Udo Rumpf

I do fly the SFS simulator, and I do not know of a none German site.
I am a great fan of SFS simulator since I was introduce to it
by a well known soaring personality last year.
Before the introduction I was a bit dismissive about the idea in
general but have become a believer in it as a tool and a fun
way to keep in touch with soaring during the depth of the
Canadian Winter. I highly recommend it as a limited substitute
for instructors and student combos. It will give insights into all
the relevant aspect of soaring including aero towing, winching,
thermaling technique and contest flying, Stalling, spiral dive
and recovery. Flap use and its effect are also well
demonstrated. Even motor gilder take offs with a DG800 are
available. By pushing a button (keyboard) to extent the prop
and advancing the throttle. With a speaker and the right
control stick system, vibrations and force feed back, the
sensation of flying is well approximated.
Every Club should have a set-up with a large screen.
It would help along the training of students. It can be used
before and after a flight for briefing and debriefing. I use it
to help me improving my cross country and contest flying speed.
Ridge flying is fun and is very realistic as well.
Still I am looking forward to the real thing and the all important point,
social interaction.
Udo
http://www.sfspc.de/index_e.htm
At the moment only a 200km by 200km aera is covered in germany

Old January 31st 04, 04:30 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

How do you teach the most important thing of all, and the first priority -
COLLISION AVOIDANCE?

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old January 31st 04, 04:31 PM
S Steve Adkins

SFS provides excellent practice for coping with dangerous situations. For
example "Landing exercise B, Airborne at Final) at Bad Pyrmont (which
approximates the runway on the hilltop at Harris Hill, NY, USA). One can
adjust the wind to the point that the ASW27 cannot reach the ruanway unless
extreme measures are taken (diving below the runway level to gain speed).
Failing that, one can turn away from the runway flying downwind to another
slope to gain altitude before returning at a safe altitude.
--
S. Steve Adkins

Old January 31st 04, 04:46 PM
Ted Wagner

Has anyone used both SFS and SotS?

I recently started "flying" Sailors of the Sky (SotS). Though it seems to be
a very good soaring flight simulator, I'm having my frustrations with it,
and if SFS is a better alternative, I'm interested in knowing more about it.

~ted

Old January 31st 04, 05:54 PM
Shawn Curry

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.). wrote:

How do you teach the most important thing of all, and the first priority -
COLLISION AVOIDANCE?

Practice landing on the sim.
Old February 1st 04, 07:39 PM
Bruce Greeff

Mike Lindsay wrote:
Is anyone using SFS 4 during these long winter unflyable days?

Our former CFI recommended it as partial substitute.
And does anyone know of any source of non German scenery? Or non German
user groups come to that?

If's a good simulator.

It is possible to create and load your own scenery and maps, can be a
bit technically challenging though.

The german authors are good at explaining and heling out - just a bit
slow sometimes as this is a hobby. Work obviously interferes with
pleasure every now and then.
Old February 2nd 04, 07:46 AM
Janos Bauer

I bought both but after I started to use Sots my SFS CD just dusting on
the shelf.
General comment: it's fun to try a few things in these sims (you can
show to your wife/girlfriend how to thermal together with 10 open class
glider) but when you were struggling half an hour in a 0.2-0.3m/s you
somehow start to think realistic and turn your PC off...
Regards,

/Janos

Old February 2nd 04, 09:30 AM
Fredrik Thörnell

Bruce Greeff skrev den Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:39:52
+0200:

It is possible to create and load your own scenery and maps, can be a
bit technically challenging though.

The german authors are good at explaining and heling out - just a bit
slow sometimes as this is a hobby. Work obviously interferes with
pleasure every now and then.

To get your soaring fix on the PC during the winter, or for general
practise and/or horsing around, SFS is it. No doubt.

In theory, it is possible to create your own scenery. In practise, I do
not think it has been done. Hoping to be wrong here though, as I'm
starting to be rather familiar with that part of Germany.

Cheers,
Fred