Seminole Lake Accident

Old January 3rd 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Seminole Lake Accident

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
...the young pilot who did have the accident is continuing with their training.

And will never again be permitted to participate in hangar flying.
Old January 3rd 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
...the young pilot who did have the accident is continuing with their

training.

I know at least three instructors who wrote off a glider while training.

I do remember an outlanding in an L-33 (the second time I flew it) where I
spent
more time than I should have figuring out how to use the brake.

Old January 3rd 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"...he will never be allowed any more hanger flying..."
LOL, now that's a good one I'll remember.
Dan
Old January 3rd 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Dave you owe me a new keyboard...
Old January 4th 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
You,

Still I apologize because my unfortunate lapse of civility was misinterpreted. Yes I was talking about ASW-20. I have enjoyed my relationships in the glider community. Flying and sometimes racing sailplanes brings me a lot of joy. Even if some non glider pilots want to throw mud. The act of flying doesn’t necessarily make you a pilot. BTW, the young pilot who did have the accident is continuing with their training. They are very determined and we feel certain a rating is in the near future.
Sincerely,
Rich

No worries, Rich - we're good!
Uli
'AS'
Old January 5th 18, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Haven

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 8:52:29 AM UTC-8, Retting wrote:
As a teen absorbing everything I could about soaring, George Moffat became a hero of mine. Years later, after lying to the owner of SLG (Knut) to fly in my first contest (2003 Seniors), we had adjoining rooms and I invited him to join my wife and I for dinner after a practice day. He accepted to my delight because later he would give a complete detailed account of.......completing his return to earth by crashing into and remaining in a tree some 20' above the ground while on final approach. He struck lt off as an 'incompetent bad break'. Later , in between writing boring English literature (sorry George!), he would become 2 time World Champion .
My point is how is the pilot doing who suffered the accident? Rich, tell the pilot to pay the bill, wipe off the dust, and get back in the cockpit. If a World Champion and many others had to crash to get better, well hell it's part aviation. Any landing you and observers can walk away from is a good landing, right?
Accidents happen, but embarrassment lingers. Encouragement is our duty.

Thanks for posting this comment. "A man who never made a mistake never did anything"! "Live and learn". H...

Old January 5th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

All I think it is safe to say that Seminole has an abundance of support and enthusiasm, coupled with great people that run the place. 2018 IS going to be a great year. Rich I got your back and I am weapons free!

CM
Colin Mead
Old January 5th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey you guys familiar with seminole, whats the current rate for a 2k tow? And do they require Flarm or any other anti collision electronics to get a tow there?
Thanks
Old January 6th 18, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Tows to 2K are $45 and we do not require FLARM to fly at our site. However, most of the newer ships to the gliderport are equipped with FLARM. We encourage the installation of this equipment in your ship and have several pilots on the field that can help you with that process.

Happy New Year and a safe soaring season,
Rich Owen
Old January 6th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Rich, we will make trip and come visit you folks.