New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

Old February 7th 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:02:24 PM UTC-6, Kirk Robertson wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm a new pilot looking for a decent affordable glider that's suitable for a newbie that I won't outgrow within the first year or two. I'd appreciate all suggestions and info of gliders for sale.

I'm currently flying my clubs 1-26 until I get the time in to move up to the DG101.

I'd like something with a decent trailer also as I'd like to drive around the west to fly at lots of different places.

Thanks in advance for any information. Kirk.

My Libelle is going up for sale. Based out of Dallas, TX. A great first glass ship with an upgraded Komet trailer. New control stick from manufacture in Germany with good PU finish on wings and some slight aging on the fuselage.

Mountain high EDS with oxygen bottle, this ship flew in Hobbs, NM at 15,000 feet no problem. It was an awesome first ship to me but now that I am 6'2 pushing 6'3, I no longer fit. Curse you hormones...

I'm asking $16,500 but willing to negotiate. Give me a call @ 817-914-0689 or email for more information
Old February 8th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 12:01:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

If you can fit in a Libelle, you can't beat it! The sweetest handling glass ship in it's class, and the best looking too....
Old February 8th 18, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FreeFlight107

I have a Libelle 301, flaps & thinner wing than 201, on W&W Will sell to new pilot for $10,000 or?

Wayne at Walker . org
619-888-6119
Old February 12th 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 3Y

I agree with everyone who suggests the trailer is as important as the glider. Easy rigging and transport is paramount! Most will stear you away from a glider that has only flaps. I would guess those who say a newer pilot shouldn't start with a flapped ship haven't spent much time in one, they have many advantages and can be purchased at better prices and are no more difficult to fly than spoilers. They are just a little different. A PIK 20 B is a stellar ship that can be bought pretty cheap and you won't ever outgrow it unless you just want 3% more performance for 3 times the money.
Old February 12th 18, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 02:58 12 February 2018, Blake Seese 3Y wrote:
[...]

Some poor advice been given here. Libelle and Pik 20b - two ships
that Derek Piggot advises a low time pilot to stay clear of for
various reasons. Unless you have way above average skills I would
advise you stay clear of them as well until you have built up several
hundred hours..

Suggest you read Derek Piggott on Gliding. A & C Black ISBN 0-
7136-5799-5. Lots of sound advice on what ship to choose for a first
glider from one of the worlds most experienced and respected
instructors.

Old February 12th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

I agree with everyone who suggests the trailer is as important as the
glider. Easy rigging and transport is paramount! Most will steer you
[...]

Here's "another country heard from..."

Believe it or not, there's only one sentence between both the above posts with
which I would quibble, and it's the lead-in to the bottom post. So how do I
reconcile what at first blush appears outright contradictory inputs?

Disclosures:
- I've not had the pleasure of meeting Derek Piggot, but I have great respect
for his experience in, and judgments concerning, all aspects of soaring.
- I am not a CFIG.
- I (and my ship partner at the time) transitioned into a 15-meter glass
1st-generation landing-flap-only-equipped glider (Concept 70 - think flapped
G-102-ish), me from 1-26 with ~125 logged total hours (he from a Ka-8 with, I
seem to remember, ~the same total hours, maybe slightly more). Our first
exposures to flapped gliders...
- Since that low-time transition I've acquired 2K+ hours in 3 different types
of landing-flaps-only single-seaters.

Both our transitions were of the "nothing to see here" sort for our peanut
galleries. Why? Because - it seemed important to me then, and so I still
believe - we both had spent considerable time discussing/researching/pondering
our impending "step up in performance" and we both flew with "sensibly
developed plans." By "plans," I mean both hopes for success and contingency
plans in the event some of our thinking proved less than spot-on. It was the
best we could do at that time and place - no 2-seat training gliders with
similar flaps (or *any* flaps) existed, and no instructors with flapped time
were known/available to us. Mental prep matters.

YMWV depending upon situation, attitude, inclinations, etc. I presume the
asking of this question on RAS is part of your planned self-education process.
Tangentially, just in case you've not already begun doing so, use the
self-education process to hone your critical thinking skills. In short, try to
get inside every advice-giver's head to the extent of being able to gain some
insight into *why* they are offering you their advice. It, too, matters.

When Derek Piggot initially offered the advice referred to above, he was an
active, full-time instructor in Great Britain, a smallish country (by
comparison to the U.S.), with a relatively high density (compared to the U.S.)
of available used gliders, but a glider population even less dense that the
U.S.' with flapped single-seat gliders available for new pilots. (Over here,
Dick Schreder had been proselytizing flaps by creating flapped ships for over
a decade before the PIK-20 appeared, and even Schweizer was so bold as to
develop the 1-35 at roughly the same time as the PIK 20.) Piggot's advice was
both understandable and sensible. But I'd bet Real Money Mr. Piggot would also
readily agree "one size doesn't fit everyone" when it comes to new ship
purchase decisions.

What I've personally experienced many times, over 3+ decades of being a
soaring nut, is many soaring pilots offering "anti-flaps advice" have "less
than first-hand knowledge/experience with them." That's entirely
understandable, given the relatively low percentage of flapped gliders, and
the even *lower* proportion of landing-flap-only equipped gliders, and every
glider pilot's willingness (eagerness, ha ha!) to talk gliders/gliding at the
slightest excuse. Depending upon one's personal flavor of internal cynic, an
argument could be made that all advice from 2nd-hand sources should be
outright dismissed. OTOH, an argument could be made that those with 1st-hand
experience have axes to grind. I submit "actionable reality" lies somewhere
between those extremes.

New Ship Purchasing Rule No. 1 (even though many people fail to understand
this) is: Know Thyself!!!

Have fun in your quest. Dreaming about - and going about - selecting a
new-to-you glider is only slightly less fun than owning and flying it!

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old February 12th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 16:21 12 February 2018, BobW wrote:

[...]

If you wish to ignore the sage advice of one of the most professional and
experienced instructors in the world, (plus display pilot, film stunt pilot

ect. ect.), who has probably flown more types of aircraft than most
pilots (including flapped only ships) - your choice.

Sorry don't know Bob W's credentials apart from what he's posted here.

Old February 13th 18, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well Paul T, I've read all of Derricks written works, no doubt good info there, but when it comes to his opinion of flapped sailplanes, I'll go with others with just as much if not more experience than his. Guys like Moffatt. You would get a very different opinion of the ease and safety of landing flapped ships if you read his flight evaluation of the HP-14.

All that is needed is a proper understanding/briefing of how flapped ships are handled in landing (much different than spoilered birds). If a newer pilot is desirous of getting into cross country flying, a flapped ship is a very very good choice and a confidence builder, knowing that even in the hands of a less experienced pilot , they can be safely shoe horned into very small fields.
Old February 13th 18, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kirk Robertson

I just read the article from Derek Piggot and am curious on staying away from Libelles' Everyone seems to love them, do the spoilers just not provide as much drag as others?

Frank Whiteley, thanks for the offer but I'm still just doing reading/research, I'll call when I get a few prospective gliders I need to narrow it down to one.

For now I'm staying away from flap-only ships, I have no misconception about my piloting ability and don't really want to make it any easier to do anything dumb and hurt myself or my glider.

Kirk.
Old February 13th 18, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 9:18:52 AM UTC+3, Kirk Robertson wrote:
I just read the article from Derek Piggot and am curious on staying away from Libelles' Everyone seems to love them, do the spoilers just not provide as much drag as others?

Std Libelle spoilers are ok. Not as powerful as some, but better than some, such as (unmodified) Cirrus. I've seen new Cirrus pilots approach just a little too fast and float waaaaaay down the runway.

The Libelle spoilers are perfectly adequate for a normal approach. If full spoiler isn't doing enough then adding a slip certainly will. The sharp spine of the fuselage means you get huge amounts of drag in a slip. As an exercise (on a long field), I've deliberately turned final at 1000 ft in a Std Libelle at the same place as you'd normally turn final at 300 ft. A slip (including slipping turn) got it down to a normal approach angle and speed well before crossing the fence.

Of course a one-lever solution is simpler, but everyone should be comfortable with using slips on approach anyway.

First glider inspection/purchase help (not model) tstock Soaring 7 April 12th 11 07:33 AM
First Glider Purchase brian d Soaring 14 September 22nd 06 05:34 PM
Glider purchase fraud Bob Caldwell Soaring 3 January 31st 06 03:49 AM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice Ted Wagner Soaring 19 January 2nd 04 08:00 PM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice -- II Ted Wagner Soaring 11 December 26th 03 06:04 PM