Removing RTV

Old October 28th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_9_]

Default Removing RTV

I am trying to remove some RTV silicone sealant. I have carved and
scraped off most of it and am wondering what others have tried to
remove the residue left after mechanical removal. Paint stripper
doesn't work and I am trying some MEK now. Any thoughts?

John Dupre'

Old October 28th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article om,
"John" wrote:

I am trying to remove some RTV silicone sealant. I have carved and
scraped off most of it and am wondering what others have tried to
remove the residue left after mechanical removal. Paint stripper
doesn't work and I am trying some MEK now. Any thoughts?

John Dupre'

Gasoline, lacquer thinner, MEK, TCE will lift it off, but it will
probably still need some mechanical removal.
Old October 28th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

I am trying to remove some RTV silicone sealant. I have carved and
scraped off most of it and am wondering what others have tried to
remove the residue left after mechanical removal. Paint stripper
doesn't work and I am trying some MEK now. Any thoughts?

John Dupre'

Gasoline, lacquer thinner, MEK, TCE will lift it off, but it will
probably still need some mechanical removal.

TCE was the long time standard, since it wouldn't harm most other materials;
but where does one obtain it today?

Peter

Old October 29th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Your local hardware store should have something to specifically remove
bathtub silicone.
It was invented about 20 yrs. ago.

Old October 29th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Your local hardware store should have something to specifically remove
bathtub silicone.
It was invented about 20 yrs. ago.

Good luck with that!

The best I have found is a mechanical, if you wish, but specifically scotchbrite
pad with an abrasive, like valve lapping compound, or comet cleanser, or rubbing
compound.

Silicone caulk was invented partially for its high resistance to chemicals.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 31st 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Last time I had to remove the high-temp stuff from the threads of SS
bolts in a boat motor, my Dad (an A&P for 35 years) made me use leaded
MOGAS. That was in 1979.

That loosened everything up, but I still wound up peeling most of it
off of the bolt threads, and then hitting it with an SS wire toothbrush
dipped in gas, followed by a red shop rag.

Knowing what we know now regarding shop safety, I don't think I'd go
that route again unless nothing else worked. And then, I'd be extremely
careful. Gasoline has some very nasty properties when it comes to vapor
pressures and flamibility. Maybe just a soak in a small amount of gas
poured into a coffee can, placed squarely in the middle of my
vegetation-free back yard, followed by a rinse in something less
flamible.

Harry

Old October 31st 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Riley[_1_]

wright1902glider wrote:
Last time I had to remove the high-temp stuff from the threads of SS
bolts in a boat motor, my Dad (an A&P for 35 years) made me use leaded
MOGAS. That was in 1979.

That loosened everything up, but I still wound up peeling most of it
off of the bolt threads, and then hitting it with an SS wire toothbrush
dipped in gas, followed by a red shop rag.

My dad must have known your dad. A rag soaked (dripping wet) in about
3/4 motor oil and 1/4 gasoline laid on the RTV for a day. That made
the RTV swell up and get very weak, then mechanically removed with
whatever was handy. I got that lesson in 1981.