P-51D Desert Camouflage

Old February 8th 07, 02:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Russell

Default P-51D Desert Camouflage

Where I live we have a woman driving a hot pink Ford LTD with the number
saying pinkpinkpink and a sticker across the back window that says "because
I can"

"Lynn in StLou" wrote in message
t...
Lynn in StLou wrote:
David Kazdan wrote:
This is one of those "but I vaguely remember..." sort of replies, BUT:

Wasn't there a P-51 ten or twenty years ago being flown on the airshow
circuit in those colors? If I recall correctly, it was owned by a
female pilot who was criticized for painting a warbird in hot pink;
she identified the colors as the Egypt campaign desert livery and the
complaints abated.

I don't remember details. Anyone else?

David

Your recollection is close. It was a P-40 and AFAIK there was never any
outcry about the Desert Pink. I know I have a picture of it somewhere.

I do....Forbes Field Topeka, KS

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply

Old February 8th 07, 04:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
NoJags Neil

There's also that MkXIV Spitfire that's bright red. I was told that he gets
criticised about the colour and tells people to get their own ***ing
Spitfire and paint it whatever colour they like.

Old February 8th 07, 05:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Russell wrote:

Where I live we have a woman driving a hot pink Ford LTD with the number
saying pinkpinkpink and a sticker across the back window that says "because
I can"

....and for those that favor the "independent" car manufacturers:

http://www.pinkyluv.com/

JT

Old February 8th 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Claus Gustafsen

AFAIK only a few P-51A's in recce versions for the RAF were in Dessert camo.

--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

"bob" skrev i en meddelelse
Anyone know if the P-51D ever appeared in WWII desert camouflage???

Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 2553 spam-mails
Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
Hent en gratis SPAMfighter her.

Old February 8th 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ray O'Hara

"TACAN" wrote in message
.. .
Still about pink planes - was there a pink spitfire?

5 minutes later -
Just did a quick google - there are a few references to the above - but

this
video clip is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIvUN539a7A

Comment on the same page:-
pink is suprisingly good camoflage against clouds, they used it early in

the
war before switching to p.r. blue, which is how this mark 11 is now

painted

Cheers
Graham

they painted vehicles pink too.

Old February 8th 07, 07:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
NoJags Neil[_2_]

Lynn in StLou wrote:
David Kazdan wrote:
This is one of those "but I vaguely remember..." sort of replies, BUT:

Wasn't there a P-51 ten or twenty years ago being flown on the airshow
circuit in those colors? If I recall correctly, it was owned by a
female pilot who was criticized for painting a warbird in hot pink;
she identified the colors as the Egypt campaign desert livery and the
complaints abated.

I don't remember details. Anyone else?

David

Your recollection is close. It was a P-40 and AFAIK there was never
any
outcry about the Desert Pink. I know I have a picture of it somewhere.

I do....Forbes Field Topeka, KS

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply